BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
If you plan to mod the car for speed then the 535d is a no brainier but to get the absolute most means removing things. Otherwise there isn’t a point.

The 530d would be a better shout for long term. Probably end up being more reliable too. Offering 90% of the performance anyway.

Associate
Again good points made by all. The 535d was a moment of excitement and convenience, will see what I can negotiate with the first one or hold tight for something more local to come up!

If you plan to mod the car for speed then the 535d is a no brainier but to get the absolute most means removing things. Otherwise there isn’t a point.

Haha love this, quality! It's going to be a family car, my boy racer days are long gone.

Soldato
It's a diesel automatic Saloon car not an entry into the next Fast and Furious movie.

Fox, having the expert knowledge that you do. You probably missed the bit where a lot have been “remapped” and generally do be bought over the single turbo version for the performance and tune ability they have to offer.

There are good gains to be had from the twin turbo engine and you can get close to 400bhp on stock hardware.

Soldato
Again good points made by all. The 535d was a moment of excitement and convenience, will see what I can negotiate with the first one or hold tight for something more local to come up!

Haha love this, quality! It's going to be a family car, my boy racer days are long gone.

When I meant mod, I didn’t mean add big wheels, loud exhausts and all that. It would map better than a 530d, for extra umph should you need it. Though, then it’s a never ending cycle and you could end up chasing for more.

Soldato
Fox, having the expert knowledge that you do. You probably missed the bit where a lot have been “remapped” and generally do be bought over the single turbo version for the performance and tune ability they have to offer.

There are good gains to be had from the twin turbo engine and you can get close to 400bhp on stock hardware.

But...why? I’m sure it’s just me being boring, but is 300bhp+ not enough in a diesel saloon car? Have you got 20 tons of aggregate on the back?

Man of Honour
If you're that bothered the 530d LCI will map to over 300bhp which is probably far more sensible then tuning an older 535d. The 535d he has posted has the older engine too, which is only 299bhp versus the 258bhp in the revised engine in the 530d.

The first 18 months of the F10 all had the older first gen N57 straight out of the E90.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Always thought pre lci and lci f10s had the 313ps n57 unit?

They do, but the first pre LCI did not. The new engine was MY12 onwards - pre LCI cars manufactured late 2011 onwards.

This car is an 11 plate so before that.

It's still an N57, but the first generation.

Soldato
They do, but the first pre LCI did not. The new engine was MY12 onwards - pre LCI cars manufactured late 2011 onwards.

This car is an 11 plate so before that.

It's still an N57, but the first generation.

Good to know. I’ve only ever been around late MY12 cars. Guess it’s similar in sense to how the early e60 versions were.

I’m awaiting on the m340d. See how that fairs out, as I imagine it to be a good all round car.

Caporegime
I’d think that it was more emissions and mpg that they focus on and not out and out power?

That's defeated by the x30d vs x35d vs m50d though. Why make the x35 or m50d if they're focussed on mpg and lower emissions?

People can and do remap the 30d to a 35d power equivalent and the same with the 35d to 50d. BMW already have those more powerful offerings but with different components bolted on to the engine. There's a reason they have differing components and not just a higher state of tune.

Back
Top Bottom