Dr. Disrespect permanently banned from Twitch

Man of Honour
It's important to know that his entire character is a parody. Honestly if you can't see that... Well... :o

He calls himself "the two time", aka the two time champion, as he won some Nintendo competitions in the 90s or something like that. Obviously a laughable claim to fame/success that the character is clinging on to. He goes on about athleticism and the height of his vertical leap for God's sake. He takes it so violently seriously that it couldn't be more clear that the character is a joke from head to toe. You're meant to dislike him. If Ali G can be entertaining as a character, Dr Disrespect can be (and is, to me) too.

I get the feeling there's a lot of envy flying about in this thread. I see it a lot, people thinking that these streamers just sit and play games, and it's so easy. It isn't easy at all, they put an insane amount of work in to what is a terribly competitive industry, often taking leaps of faith by risking ditching their precious careers/jobs to go full time. If they didn't, they wouldn't be as successful as they are. Dr Disrespect's production values are off the scale, in a stupid overblown and tacky way, yes, but that's exactly the point.

Mind you, to be fair, as a former basketball player and given that he's something mad like 6ft 9, he does have an impressive vertical leap :)

Soldato
It's important to know that his entire character is a parody. Honestly if you can't see that... Well... :o

He calls himself "the two time", aka the two time champion, as he won some Nintendo competitions in the 90s or something like that. Obviously a laughable claim to fame/success that the character is clinging on to. He goes on about athleticism and the height of his vertical leap for God's sake. He takes it so violently seriously that it couldn't be more clear that the character is a joke from head to toe. You're meant to dislike him. If Ali G can be entertaining as a character, Dr Disrespect can be (and is, to me) too.

I get the feeling there's a lot of envy flying about in this thread. I see it a lot, people thinking that these streamers just sit and play games, and it's so easy. It isn't easy at all, they put an insane amount of work in to what is a terribly competitive industry, often taking leaps of faith by risking ditching their precious careers/jobs to go full time. If they didn't, they wouldn't be as successful as they are. Dr Disrespect's production values are off the scale, in a stupid overblown and tacky way, yes, but that's exactly the point.

I can see that he's a faking character, but from those clips, it doesn't look like one I'd much relate to, or enjoy watching.

Ali G was exceptional because it was not only a parody, but extremely incisive and intelligent in his interviews, the way he led the people he interviewed into making fools of themselves was fantastic.

I'm fully aware of how hard and time consuming streaming is, I'm fairly sure I couldn't do it. This guy (from the clips given) is just not to my tastes, parody/fake/character or not.

Man of Honour
I wonder if people would pay to watch me Fifa rage? I gave myself a dead leg yesterday.

I expect people would, I've browsed the streaming world and found people who do quite interesting stuff, like how to paint, how to do carpentry, how to do needlework, how to garden, soldering, novel writing and so on.....but I've also seen people driving on an empty road chatting, I've even seen a Ukrainian who drives a forklift at work and streams it live, nothing more to it than him driving the forklift. People will pay for many things, the whole ASMR thing baffles me, but many do pay for it.

I expect people would, I've browsed the streaming world and found people who do quite interesting stuff, like how to paint, how to do carpentry, how to do needlework, how to garden, soldering, novel writing and so on.....but I've also seen people driving on an empty road chatting, I've even seen a Ukrainian who drives a forklift at work and streams it live, nothing more to it than him driving the forklift. People will pay for many things, the whole ASMR thing baffles me, but many do pay for it.
the one that amazes me is the reaction videos. amongst the many doing it, i saw one that was a European couple that would watch the 5-10 minut stand up comedy clips online and then laugh. people would watch this couple watching a clip. some of their videos had a good 100k views

Man of Honour
the one that amazes me is the reaction videos. amongst the many doing it, i saw one that was a European couple that would watch the 5-10 minut stand up comedy clips online and then laugh. people would watch this couple watching a clip. some of their videos had a good 100k views

Yeah reaction videos are a big fad at the moment, you even have people reacting to other reaction videos. I suppose its water always takes the easiest path situation. Why create your own content when you can simply point a camera and record other peoples content. Sort of a parallel of reality TV shows really, who dont need to hire script writers or set designers or artists or make up etc, just point a camera at someone and let them create the content.

Soldato
Yeah reaction videos are a big fad at the moment, you even have people reacting to other reaction videos. I suppose its water always takes the easiest path situation. Why create your own content when you can simply point a camera and record other peoples content. Sort of a parallel of reality TV shows really, who dont need to hire script writers or set designers or artists or make up etc, just point a camera at someone and let them create the content.

I enjoy some reaction videos. Mostly americans watching rugby, or black people watching Tim Minchens "Prejudice" song.

Soldato
I am none the wiser really, all a bit vague and meme like? :)
Yes his character is all over-the-top. If there are 20k people watching he'll say it's 20 mil, wears body armour, wears 'prototype' scopes, calls his mustache the Ethiopian poisonous caterpillar or something etc etc the list goes on.

Soldato
but why would discord drop him?
This is what is making me think its more than something small.

However, i did just read that Ninja & Shroud turned down contracts with Facebook gaming so it does make you wonder if they were (and still are) intending to do their own streaming platform.

Back
Top Bottom