Poll: Austrian Grand Prix 2020, Spielberg - Race 1/?

Rate the 2020 Austrian Grand Prix (1) out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Don't blame them, I can't think why anyone would think it's legal

It passes the regs as written. FIA already took at a look at it and said it's legal, that's why the rules were specifically written to rule DAS illegal from next year.

Red Bull have protested as an illegal adjustment to the cars suspension while the car is in motion (articles 3.8 and 10.2.3 of technical regulations) - but it's steering, not suspension. If the toe changing is illegal suspension adjustments, then all the cars are illegal as turning the steering wheel changes the toe as all the cars have Ackerman steering systems.

Man of Honour
Also - both cars protested individually, not the team...

EcBH8I7WAAU7v7_.jpg

EcBH8I4WoAAJgHY.jpg

Soldato
It passes the regs as written. FIA already took at a look at it and said it's legal, that's why the rules were specifically written to rule DAS illegal from next year.

Red Bull have protested as an illegal adjustment to the cars suspension while the car is in motion (articles 3.8 and 10.2.3 of technical regulations) - but it's steering, not suspension. If the toe changing is illegal suspension adjustments, then all the cars are illegal as turning the steering wheel changes the toe as all the cars have Ackerman steering systems.
Yeah but they do that by using the steering wheel in the usual manner. In this case the driver is pulling a lever plain and simple, not the same thing at all. It just shows the stupidity of beurocratic organisations.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Do we even know if there's any real world lap time advantage to it yet?

It's Reb Bulls best chance of getting Max then title this year, he'd be the youngest ever wouldn't be? So I can see why they would use whatever means they have to get there.

Man of Honour
Yeah but they do that by using the steering wheel in the usual manner. In this case the driver is pulling a lever plain and simple, not the same thing at all. It just shows the stupidity of beurocratic organisations.

They're using the steering wheel to adjust the steering, that's what it's for. There is nothing to say it can only work in one axis. Now, if pulling the steering wheel dropped the ride height at the front, then yes, that's illegal, but all it's doing is turning the two wheels.

Soldato
They're using the steering wheel to adjust the steering, that's what it's for. There is nothing to say it can only work in one axis. Now, if pulling the steering wheel dropped the ride height at the front, then yes, that's illegal, but all it's doing is turning the two wheels.
They're obviously not what a ridiculous thing to say. They're obviously doing it for some entirely different reason.
I do wonder sometimes

Man of Honour
They're obviously not what a ridiculous thing to say. They're obviously doing it for some entirely different reason.
I do wonder sometimes

???

They pull the steering wheel and the toe changes. That's it. Reasons why.... we don't really know. Could be tyre temps, aero, who knows... but all it's doing is turning the wheels, admittedly in opposite directions rather than together, but there is nothing in the regs against that this year.

Soldato
I do wonder sometimes
Yep. I'm sure you know more than the Mercedes engineers and the FIA technicians who've been consulted on the device many times over the winter and since Barcelona. It's so obvious.

Do we even know if there's any real world lap time advantage to it yet?
I don't believe there's a direct effect on laptime. The main benefit is being able to better control tyre temperatures and wear through increasing/decreasing the scrub along the road due to the toe angle. Only by proxy will affect laptimes as the stint goes on.

Soldato
???

They pull the steering wheel and the toe changes. That's it. Reasons why.... we don't really know. Could be tyre temps, aero, who knows... but all it's doing is turning the wheels, admittedly in opposite directions rather than together, but there is nothing in the regs against that this year.
Sorry, I just don't get it, the fia should have had the guts to just say no, they managed to ban the fan car after one race and I'm sure many other things.

It's all a bit daft. Like the Harry Kane goal last night, the Tottenham player falls over because he is fouled, the Sheffield player kicks the ball against his shoulder it bounces to Kane who scores, goal disallowed after five minutes of VAR for hand ball in the build up, rules are rules.

The fact that it's banned for next year shows that they don't want it in F1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom