**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
What I have done for icons that don't particularly fit in with my 'vibe' is select them from another icon pack. For round icons I use Pixel Icon Pack from the play store. My global pack is the OnePlus round pack and then I individually select icons from other packs. Can be tedious but does my job.

Soldato
What I have done for icons that don't particularly fit in with my 'vibe' is select them from another icon pack. For round icons I use Pixel Icon Pack from the play store. My global pack is the OnePlus round pack and then I individually select icons from other packs. Can be tedious but does my job.

I've made my own icon pack app :p The biggest problem with them is that there isn't a single icon pack in the world which will have every single icon you have installed. It just does my OCD in....anyway, bugger it I've made my own.

What I did notice, is that some developers do actually create round icons, but they set the size as 142x142 and the oneplus seems to only accept them if they are 192x192. Unidays and Perkbox were two which had that problem.

I did say yesterday I would only address the main issues (basically removing all third party ones from the oneplus pack), but I found myself making my own for the four or five icons which didn't have round ones

p.s. I think I'm a bit bored :D

anyway, the very last one. Think I made quite a good job of it. Did the Renpho one which was for my smart scales....had to design that from scratch, and also the zap-map one which is on another screen.

before

ZMZvPn2.jpg

during

zRuC6vo.jpg

after

j89zS9n.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
To peel or not to peel?
Anyone using a tempered glass protector?
For those without any protectors on, is it really a huge difference?

Soldato
To peel or not to peel?
Anyone using a tempered glass protector?
For those without any protectors on, is it really a huge difference?
Absolutely. It's like a different phone. I tried it for about a week but the ridge at the bottom just gathers dust and will inevitably peel after so many swipe up actions.
Rip the band aid!

Soldato
my 2XL battery slowly starting to go as it is 2.5 years old now. That's with me generally keeping max charge of 80%

main reason I like the phone is the google photo AI, just can't lose 99% of the time. It's basically magic as far as I am concerned. I own an A6500 so appreciate good photography.

That and I like the front facing stereo speakers even if they can distort sometimes at higher vol levels. Love the tactile fabric case too.

However I could take a faster phone and the screen at lower brightness levels crushes black completely. I'd take a brighter screen (8pro just over twice output of a 2xl!) and I'm sure would love 120hz, having adopted 120hz monitors relatively early on years ago.

So i'd be looking at the 8 pro in the current android lineup, Sony's phone is not for me and hella expensive. Never have liked Samsung GUI or build appearance. Google, lost confidence that they know what they are trying to acheive.

Some of the comments about the 8 pros camera is concerning and i'd miss whatever legacy arrangement I have with google re photo storage, though I don't really know what I have, I thought something was limited on later pixel phones?

Soldato
as someone who simply can't fit a screen protector properly. Wonky, trapped dust, bubbles....I'm really pleased oneplus fits them in the factory. The free case is even half decent.

I like keeping my phones in pristine condition, ready for the next owner ;)

Soldato
as someone who simply can't fit a screen protector properly. Wonky, trapped dust, bubbles....I'm really pleased oneplus fits them in the factory. The free case is even half decent.

I like keeping my phones in pristine condition, ready for the next owner ;)

Just took the screen protector off my replacement handset. First one didn't come with one. OMG it's so thick and tacky. Nasty stuff.

Soldato
How are the speakers?

And is primary camera as good as my 2Xl normal light and low light? Thanks

Speakers seem okay to me, but it's only a phone and you might have different expectations.

As for the camera, dxomark rate the 8 Pro higher than the Pixel 4 and the iPhone 11, but most reviewers continue to cream themselves over the cameras on those two phones. I have no personal experience with Pixel cameras but can confirm that the 8 Pro is a mixed bag. Some amazing shots and some ruined by the image processing.

Soldato
I watch a lot of YT on my phone. I just want reasonable sound not poor sound.

My pixel traps me with its camera! Might run it into the ground I suspect got another six months or so.

Soldato
I watch a lot of YT on my phone. I just want reasonable sound not poor sound.

My pixel traps me with its camera! Might run it into the ground I suspect got another six months or so.

I came from a Pixel 3. The speakers are good on the 8 pro, not excellent but clear and loud.

Cameras are also good, they dig out a solid amount clarity and detail and dynamic range.

Looking forward to a proper gcam port for the pixel special sauce.

Soldato
I've seen GCAM mentioned in video reviews. don't understand what it is though. does it bring Google AI to the cameras?

Back
Top Bottom