New Netflix Series - The Umbrella Academy

Associate
I've only seen the dance off scene on youtube, but thought that was brilliant. one of my colleagues though said i remind him quite a bit about Klaus, specially mentally for some reason. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing? :D

Soldato
Finished this on Friday. I thought the CGI on Pogo was awesome, #5 was fantastic (acting & story line), Mom is stunning and, in general, it kept my wife & I hooked.

However, I cannot stand Ellen Page in this. She's just so bland. Her character repeatedly acts so stupidly and I find her physically so androgynous it distracts me from the role she's playing. Honestly, I spent half the time thinking she looked like a changeling from DS9.
What really bugged me though was her transportation into Evil Contacts Girl. I get the whole repressed backstory but her turn and embrace of her powers for evil felt more rushed than the on-screen dark side turn of Anakin Skywalker.

Loved all the unanswered riddles. Ben/Swayze, Hargreaves many years ago, the entire purpose of the Commisson, the floaty ghost thing, the cause for the births, how Soviet-era Russian teenagers ever got together, etc.

Soldato
#5 was superbly well acted by a kid.

Yep.

I enjoyed it, way too much emoting about the past, and as usual there's 6-7 EP's of story in 10 EP's of show but that's modern TV for you. Much better than the usual superhero slop (most now cancelled on Netflix thankfully), Klaus was great, 5 was great, Vanya was great, the other 3 less so but ok. I enjoyed all the supporting carachters too. I got bored mid-way through a little bit, but glad I persevered and i'm very much looking forward to S2. It was predictable but I still enjoyed watching it unfold which means the pacing was good enough, hopefully S2 moves faster and there's less daddy issues and more action. Very good soundtrack.

Soldato
Finished this last night and enjoyed most of it. Too many episodes, there was a lot of pointless filler so they could have chopped it down by 1 or 2, but as others have said, #5 was superb as was Klaus, and Vanya was quite dull. I thought Luther was acted well too. However, the way in which the apocolypse was brought about was a little silly, it could have been handled far better. Looking forward to the next season.

Associate
I wanted to like this, but gave up after the first two episodes. I think I was hoping for something like misfits with a bigger budget, but it all felt a bit cheesy. It made me smile, but it never really made me laugh.
Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance.

Soldato
Netflix released info this week that over 45 million accounts have watched or started to watch this, can see why it's been renewed now :)

Well - that figure sounds impressive until you understand how they class a viewer.
As long as somebody watched at least 70% of a single episode, they are included in that 45m

R3X

R3X

Soldato
By the end of this series which was a fun ride it just reminded me of the whole dark phoniex x-men saga or xmen 3, I dunno if they just ripped it off directly !

Associate
The show did spend a lot of time just meandering to its point, I'm glad it's getting a second season but I'm worried that they might lose direction.

Back
Top Bottom