How do I best clean lens(es)?

Soldato
I see there's a product called lenspen, one made by lenspen and one made by Hama. it looks nifty. Will that be all I need, along with a hurricane blower?

Also, these lenspens come with a soft brush at one end to wipe away loose particles. I thought you were only supposed to use a blower for loose particles to avoid scratching, so why would anyone use the brush which could wipe abrasive particles across the glass?

Anyway, if I get a lenspen, does that mean I won't need to use a microfibre cloth and lens cleaning fluid?

Soldato
OP
Sounds good Raymond. Yes I was wondering if eclipse sensor fluid could be used on lenses and you say it can so that's good. I see Zeiss 200 lens wipes on Amazon for £10.29. Might buy them. I think they're just isopropyl soaked cloths? Not as interesting to use as a lenspen though :p

Caporegime
Sounds good Raymond. Yes I was wondering if eclipse sensor fluid could be used on lenses and you say it can so that's good. I see Zeiss 200 lens wipes on Amazon for £10.29. Might buy them. I think they're just isopropyl soaked cloths? Not as interesting to use as a lenspen though :p

Lens pen is just a tiny cloth at the end that you end up moving the same dirt around...I had one its crap.

The Zeiss 200 wet wipes are much better. You don't need to clean it that often, a blower does it 90% of the time. If you avoid touching it with your fingers, most things can be just blown off.

Soldato
OP
That's a great video EGuitarStar. Love the Psycho scene :D

Lens pen is just a tiny cloth at the end that you end up moving the same dirt around...I had one its crap.

The Zeiss 200 wet wipes are much better. You don't need to clean it that often, a blower does it 90% of the time. If you avoid touching it with your fingers, most things can be just blown off.

Ah ok, I thought the lenspen cleaned itself and gets replenished with fresh carbon after the cap is screwed back on.

Do I need the Giotto rocket or will most other blowers do a good job? Since I'll have the eclipse fluid, I might as well use that with a clean microfibre cloth. Can I use a cloth a few times before washing it? I'm just thinking of oils it picks up during cleaning.

Caporegime
Soldato
OP
Raymond, I've ordered the large Rocket and Zeiss lens wipes, supposed to arrive on the weekend. Actually, I'm getting 50 wipes, was £7 on ebay. But from what you said about yours, even 50 should last a while.

Soldato
OP
Associate
This is the way I was taught.

1) Assess the lens for particles and oils. Use a rocket blower to clean away debris. (If it's clean, Great! Don't give it a wipe. Always minimise contact with the glass and its coating if you can.)

2) Assess again. If there's still dust particles the blower didn't remove. Use a lens brush to dislodge the debris, never touch the brush tip which can leave oil residue, and avoid brushing over oil residue. Dislodge debris and rocket blow it away.

3) Assess to make sure no debris is left. If it's clean, great! No need to wipe, but If there's grease you pour a few drops of lens wipe onto a lens tissue and gently wipe in circles around the area with grease. If you missed debris, this can work it into the lens. So be careful.

4) Assess again. If it's all clear you're good to go!

I like Giotto rocket blowers. Matin make excellent lens brushes from goats hair. For lens cleaning solutions i recommend Pancro or Rossco, both are made for the film industry, less goes a long way, and they do a great job with removing oily residue. I prefer to use disposable wipes, Rossco wipes made for the film industry come in a portable booklet, or Kimwipes from Kimtech which are made to clean lab equipment like microscopes, but come in a bigger box of tissues.

Also have a microfiber cloth at hand to keep your camera body clean, which helps avoid particles building up anywhere.

Last edited:
Soldato
Over 8 years photographing professionally I used lens pens for the most part and found they worked really well and I'm quite particular about minty clean glass. :D

If you push the pen in to the lid and turn it, it seems to help clean it. The cap has a sponge or similar at the end so I would twist it to get any micro abrasive stuff off it. I'd change them out every now and then but found them convenient when running around photographing.

I also had a spudz too which I used but I found it slightly less convenient a lot of the time but better for when things got dirtier.

To clean, I'd turn so the lens is facing down (any dirt pulled by gravity away from the lens) then use the brush end of the lens pen to sweep over and dislodge anything sat on the lens then flip it over and use the cloth end carefully from the centre out in a spiral motion.

I found my glass always looked like new, no scratches or any sign of micro-abrasions. The perfectionist in me would say that my method isn't the best and does risk scratches but like I said, my glass was perfect even with lenses over 8 years old that had been used constantly in various conditions which I was surprised at.

Doing it pro, the convenience/speed plays in to the equation although I still clean my glass the same way even though I no longer do it professionally. :)

Last edited:
Associate
I also use a lenspen and have done for quite a few years.
It works well for removing water marks and fingerprints.

If I get the lens really dirty I will use isopropyl and a lint free wipe.

All of my newer lenses are fluorine coated and tend to stay clean on their own as nothing really stick's to the coating.

And

And

Associate
I use a (Giottos) rocket blower, then wipe with a lint free cloth, then use the rocket blower again.

Back
Top Bottom