Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Man of Honour
Red Bull said if they used it they’d lodge an official protest. If that protest gets upheld both Mercedes cars could be excluded from the results. Given that the season is likely to be at most 12-15 races losing that much ground in both the WDC and WCC isn’t something Mercedes wants to take a chance with. It also sounds a little like they aren’t that confident they have the fastest car again.

Exactly, given they can't afford to lose much ground is every reason to run it. Red Bull don't have a chance with the protest, the FIA monitored every stage of development.

Caporegime
Exactly, given they can't afford to lose much ground is every reason to run it. Red Bull don't have a chance with the protest, the FIA monitored every stage of development.
The Stewards at the track may have a different interpretation than Mercedes and the FIA though. Mind you the Stewards can’t give penalties, only inform the Race Director of their findings.

Caporegime
Fernando is coming back to ruffle some feathers next year... In the sick looking Renault (going on weekend's race)! :eek:

Welcome back, Fernando but I think this is a shame. There are so many promising young drivers coming up through the ranks and so few seats apparently available for them. Letting Alonso plod around in the Renault for a couple more years until he inevitably retires again is a waste of an F1 seat. Alonso was one of the most brilliant drivers in F1 over the last couple of decades, but he will be 40 next year and with that two year gap I cannot see him setting the world alight. I expect something more akin to Schumacher's disappointing return.

Soldato
Fernando is coming back to ruffle some feathers next year... In the sick looking Renault (going on weekend's race)! :eek:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53325412

Oh dear. That's Ocon's career over then. A bit like Vandoorne and everyone else bar Lewis that he's teamed up with.

The problem for Fernando is that the Renault next year is still going to be slow. He might have a chance if they pull something out of the back for new regs in 2022. Still, I'm happy to see him back. I think more than any other driver on the grid (including Lewis) he drags the car around the track and forces results.

Welcome back, Fernando but I think this is a shame. There are so many promising young drivers coming up through the ranks and so few seats apparently available for them. Letting Alonso plod around in the Renault for a couple more years until he inevitably retires again is a waste of an F1 seat. Alonso was one of the most brilliant drivers in F1 over the last couple of decades, but he will be 40 next year and with that two year gap I cannot see him setting the world alight. I expect something more akin to Schumacher's disappointing return.

I'm in two minds about Schumachers return. I don't think it was as bad as people make out. Had he been dropped into the same Mercedes Lewis and Nico had a couple of years later, I don't doubt he would have won another title.

Caporegime
I'm in two minds about Schumachers return. I don't think it was as bad as people make out. Had he been dropped into the same Mercedes Lewis and Nico had a couple of years later, I don't doubt he would have won another title.

I think it's only really bad in comparison to his record before, but he was solidly and thoroughly beaten by Rosberg: over those three seasons Michael got 1 podium, Rosberg 5, including one win. Michael got 197 points, Rosberg 324. If the car had been as good as the current Mercedes, it wouldn't have been Schumacher with the titles.

Fair play to the guy: I think he wanted to race and on that level it was probably good for him, but it was a much worse end to his career than bowing out when he was on top and a pale shadow of his former brilliance. Alonso, of course, bowed out from a much lower point, but I just don't see him challenging for a Championship even if Renault can massively improve in 2022.

Associate
I think Alonso is far more driven than other drivers. No family or distractions as far as I know. Simply a racer through and will probably race in some series or another throughout his lifetime.

If Renault did produce a Championship winning car for 2022 - I personally have no doubt Alonso would deliver. Okay he may not win the most races, I just get the impression Alonso would win through consistency and guile. I am glad to see him back and genuinely wish him well.

Caporegime
If Renault did produce a Championship winning car for 2022 - I personally have no doubt Alonso would deliver. Okay he may not win the most races, I just get the impression Alonso would win through consistency and guile.

If he does that he'd be both the 3rd youngest ever world champion and the 3rd oldest ever world champion. Which would be pretty cool. But even winning a single race in 2022 would make him the oldest winner in 27 years, or over 50 years if he did it in one of the last couple of races of the season.

Man of Honour
Mugello will host it's first F1 race on 13th September and Sochi is added on 27th September (story here). Seen Mugello host MotoGP before but had no idea what it would be like in a F1 car so had a watch of some onboard footage and damn it's fast and flowing. There is very little hard braking there so is it possible that they would struggle to keep the batteries charged?

Caporegime
Mugello will host it's first F1 race on 13th September and Sochi is added on 27th September (story here). Seen Mugello host MotoGP before but had no idea what it would be like in a F1 car so had a watch of some onboard footage and damn it's fast and flowing. There is very little hard braking there so is it possible that they would struggle to keep the batteries charged?

Certainly it's a possibility. As you said many of the corners will be fast with little braking so charge could be a potential issue.

Soldato
So little overtaking too, but, like Monaco and Singapore, I don't mind. It's a different kind of challenge and I can't wait.

Portimao is expected to be added, but heck, get Aragon on too. On the FIM layout. Or the more mad one without the bus stop.

Soldato
So happy to see them put Mugello on there. There are a number of opportunities for passing under braking, or just gunning it past on the main straight.

I'd not expect any issues with charging their batteries around there, although it might mean a lower ERS mode for a little longer than desired at times.

Soldato
Overtaking may not be great except for in to T1, but I'd rather have the spectacle of the cars flat out through turns 6, 7, 8 and 9 in a race than a dreary procession in Abu Dhabi or Monaco.

I also read that the track is so fast that the cars won't need anything lower than 4th gear except for the start and pitstops.

Caporegime
Overtaking may not be great except for in to T1, but I'd rather have the spectacle of the cars flat out through turns 6, 7, 8 and 9 in a race than a dreary procession in Abu Dhabi or Monaco.

I also read that the track is so fast that the cars won't need anything lower than 4th gear except for the start and pitstops.
That’s true, it’s such a fast circuit on a bike, with the downforce of the current cars we could see some very fast average lap times, easily 100mph+.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Bottas more-or-less locked in for 2021:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bottas-mercedes-contract-2021/4833817/

I'm not surprised, he's been making fewer mistakes and is a solid driver next to Hamilton. With the rules frozen a bit longer they've no need to throw an unknown variable into the car next year.

Makes other seats down the grid more valuable now. We'll likely see some more contacts signed on the back of this news.

Soldato
Bottas more-or-less locked in for 2021:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bottas-mercedes-contract-2021/4833817/

I'm not surprised, he's been making fewer mistakes and is a solid driver next to Hamilton. With the rules frozen a bit longer they've no need to throw an unknown variable into the car next year.

Makes other seats down the grid more valuable now. We'll likely see some more contacts signed on the back of this news.

Normally it's the opposite way around. With rules frozen you can swap out a driver and get a good comparison. With rules changing you have no idea so stick with the tried and true.

Back
Top Bottom