HP Reverb G2 uk release date?

Associate
I'm also moving from the Quest, so expecting a big jump in clarity. Agreed he's an enthusiastic guy, but in the tone of his videos there's obviously at least an element of gratitude that he's the sole (p)reviewer of this thing. Maybe not not directly on the payroll, but I imagine his revenue from these videos is talking a nice little bump from all the extra views he will be getting.

I'm sure I'd be the same in his shoes, but it definitely doesn't class as unbiased in my book :)

Soldato
Yeah that's fair enough, I think we can all agree that it's going to be much better when we can get multiple opinions/reviews regardless of how unbiased any single one person might (or might not) be!

This isn't targeted at you specifically, rather a wider trend, but I just think there's a tendency to throw around accusations of people being paid shills a bit lightly these days. It’s actually quite a serious accusation to level at someone who's income stream in no small part depends on being viewed as having professional integrity. No doubt they are out there of course, but I think we should have a higher burden of proof before throwing it out there with reckless abandon.

As I posted earlier I guess that time should be soon now anyway as they sent out more review units a couple of days ago according to their reps on reddit. Looking forward to more G2 content to tide me over I must admit!

Last edited:
Associate
I've ordered a g2 as my first venture into VR - excited to try it all out! I think the comparison videos, while not maybe giving an overly accurate view of the picture quality if you were using it (people saying the rift s doesn't look that bad?) gives a good idea of the % increase in improvement between the models.

So if the g2 looks pretty good in the in cam then in life should be all the better! Nevermind the 3d effect which to a newb like me will probably be jaw dropping. Glad to hear it all runs nicely on a 2070s which is exactly what I have.

Do these headsets do an equivalent of free/g sync? or is that something that just wouldn't work with this kind of tech?! Total vr novice here, as I said!

Soldato
You are in for a treat if this is going to be your first VR headset! Even the quest (roughly similar ballpark to the riftS in display quality) gives a great experience.

You won’t see any screen tearing in a headset, so in that sense yes it is sort of like having freesync... the problem is as the frames start to drop below target it can make for a slightly jerky or juddery experience which might add to any motion sickness issues you have.

A solution all the major platforms (oculus, wmr and steam) have for this is that if the frames drop below the target it can kick in with various forms of reprojection. I don’t have experience with wmr but I believe you have to specifically enable the option in wmr’s settings.

In really simplistic terms what this does is halve the game frame rate, and instead interpolate the missing frames to give the appearance of the full frame rate in the headset. Works pretty well for the most part with some small artefacting but much less so than previous iterations. I believe oculus are still the kings of low artefact reprojection tech with asynchronous time warp and asynchronous space warp, but I’m sure the others have mostly caught up.

Last edited:
Soldato
I believe oculus are still the kings of low artefact reprojection tech with asynchronous time warp and asynchronous space warp, but I’m sure the others have mostly caught up.

I don't know how good WMR interpolation is, but Steam VR interpolation is absolutely awful - very blocky and wobbly. With the Index it's best to turn it off and either run at 144hz in demanding games and let it reproject (without interpolation) to 72hz, or lower the refresh rate to 80 or 90hz and turn down Supersampling where necessary.

The Oculus solution is excellent, and often I didn't even notice it was interpolating, apart from the odd bit of blockyness around car wheels in Project Cars 2.

Associate
Weirdly I just got an email from System Active giving me an order update and formal order number almost 3 weeks after my preorder was placed.

Congratulations! You have successfully pre-ordered the new HP Reverb G2 Headset + Controllers (1N0T5AA) at the exceptional promotional price of £525 via SystemActive, an HP Platinum First Partner.

This is to confirm we have received your order and it is currently being processed by HP in factory. You will be one of the first in the UK to receive the headset. Your order number is #2xxx.

Soldato
Got the same email for what it's worth. I guess they processed them all now that the pre-order discount window closed (though daft to close it before payday for most people!).

Shame about the price increase but had it launched at £639 it still wouldn't look like an overly expensive headset relative to the competition... it's only the fact that it launched at £525 that makes the £639 look particularly bad.

Soldato
Price on system active site now up to £639. That is one hell of an increase. I'd imagine pre orders will now fall off a cliff - no way would one pay £639 when it was £525 before.

It's still less than the Reverb Pro G1, and just going from the specs, it's better.

I think 525 was a bargain.

Soldato
Oh this thing has me super tempted to replace my Rift S. I love the Rift but anything like Assetto Corsa, the lack or resolution really shows.

Trouble is, will my 1080 struggle to drive one of these?

Soldato
Oh poop, missed the cheaper price, maybe it will be reduced again in the black Friday sales, probably not.
I'll just have to make do with my Rift S and wait for a wireless next generation headset.

If they can sell it for £525 once then they should do again. I won't buy it for more now, ever, on principle.

I couldn't buy it preorder as I need to upgrade my whole system to drive it.

Soldato
If they can sell it for £525 once then they should do again. I won't buy it for more now, ever, on principle.

I couldn't buy it preorder as I need to upgrade my whole system to drive it.

You seem angry that you missed an introductory sale price.

Introductory pricing has been a thing for, like, ever.

Soldato
You seem angry that you missed an introductory sale price.

Introductory pricing has been a thing for, like, ever.

Not angry no, as I said, I wasn't in a position to purchase.

I guess I only noticed this because I was paying attention to it. I can't think of anything else Ive bought that came out with a big introductory discount previously. It certainly hasn't happened with any electronics Ive bought.

Soldato
If anyone is particularly desperate I believe the lower price is still available from eg the German site until the end of the day today.

It isn’t unusual to offer a perk (whether that be free extra content or a discount) to people pre-ordering a new product on faith but odd that it cuts off so far before actual reviews are out... the advantage to them is it gives some solid figures on demand, ensures they aren’t significantly over or under supplying. It generates buzz and publicity, all those early owners can rave about your product when they get it and spur further sales, and it locks down orders In advance... If for example oculus’ new headset comes out and just for the sake of argument was very similar spec wise, chances are a good number wouldn’t give up their pre-order discount to switch. So you can see why it can be beneficial even if it eats into profit.

That doesn’t however mean £525 is a sustainable price for them longer term. I must admit I’m surprised by how deep the pre-order discount is (was) though.

That said anyone pre-ordering now is still doing so on a leap and a prayer so it would have been nice for the discount to run longer but perhaps they’ve calculated that they have hit the total of what they can supply for the first wave, or max budget for marketing spend which is what the pre-order discount effectively is. Who knows, but HP aren’t stupid so I’m sure it’s all been costed and carefully strategised.

If you look at it objectively, you are getting a G1 with (one would assume given the specs) at least equal cost if not higher cost display, two extra tracking cameras, more complex higher quality lenses, and a significantly better audio solution. The G1 sells for £600... it seems unlikely they could offer all that extra stuff for £75 less in not much more than a year after launch of the G1.

Last edited:
Associate
Also not usually one for pre-ordering anything, and also need to upgrade my sytem to get the best out of this. Am quite relieved that it was obviously such a discount (they never really advertised that it would jump up so much), but really hoping it's not going to have a load of issues on launch..

Back
Top Bottom