Exhaust banging on modified cars - whats the point?

Man of Honour
A hire one is better. That's what got me hooked.

If you still have it you need to do this tomorrow hahaha

I have it until 8am monday morning :) But right now it's sitting outside with a full load, my mum is moving out of the country so im just the removals guy. Im spent as have been moving furniture since 8am. Tomorrow though a bit of traffic light GP might be in order :D

Associate
Thinking about my friends 69 plate 140i. The facelifted mustache one. That had a pop and bang map on it from factory. He said that they've now changed that and removed it from factory due to complaints.

Soldato
Actually thinking about it there is one car I can think of that by design pops and bangs and that's a bridge ported rotary engine.

Associate
I can quite easily prod my Z4 into crackling on overrun, but it does sometimes let loose a crack or bang itself. Only changes done to the car is a backbox mod that seemed to 'release' a lot of the noise. Beforehand you could hear it in the car, very muffled, whereas now it's far clearer. But I find it to be quite a realistic noise for a 3 litre straight 6 engine to be making, unlike the noises that come from the Ford section of car shows :p

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
The RS3 will pop/bang on aggressive/high rpm downshifts, and annoyingly on startup it usually lets out a little burble as the car blips the throttle (it’s a bit embarrassing as it’s not me doing it, well other than pressing the starter button!).

The car has the Audi optional sports exhaust so it can sound pretty loud.

What I don’t get though is reading on the various RS3 forums all anyone seems to want is to make it louder and more pops and bangs all the time.

Sounds naff as hell imho, it’s fine/loud enough from factory although mine is an earlier one so isn’t muted with the revisions over the years (gpf etc).

And it’s nice and quiet when in normal driving mode and being driven normally (again people on the forums seem to have an obsession with driving everywhere in these in dynamic mode, traction control off, throttle floored everywhere)

Will have to see if I can find the video everyone was creaming over where it sounded god awful.

Back
Top Bottom