• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
I've backed off from buying a 3090 to a 3080 to now waiting until we see what comes with AMD and frankly I might wait until next year as my 1080Ti isn't exactly coughing and spluttering in the games I play just now.

Soldato
Any you ampere buyers getting cold feet with rdna 2 claims.

EhfE2vWXkAIpf3s

Nope. Am excited for Zen 3 though

Soldato
I've backed off from buying a 3090 to a 3080 to now waiting until we see what comes with AMD and frankly I might wait until next year as my 1080Ti isn't exactly coughing and spluttering in the games I play just now.

I'm in exactly the same boat, although never nuts enough to consider the 3090 :)

Everything is pointing at the 3080 being around 70% faster than the 1080Ti on average. That's a decent hike and worth the upgrade but my card isn't exactly struggling as I game at 3440x1440 ultrawide which is less demanding than 4K and I'm happy to turn a few things down.

I've gone from ordering a 3080 FE on launch day to sitting tight for quite a while now. Going to see how reviews shake out, what third party cards are like for boost clocks and performance, then what RDNA2 comes up with. I'd never buy AMD if I'm honest but, if they produce the goods, it might kick NVidia into releasing more cards sooner rather than later. After all, Vega 64 rumours are what created the 1080Ti :)

Soldato
Ive waited many years to upgrade my 980ti - i think waiting until we see what AMD brings out and the price is definitely the best way to go

Soldato
My allocation of cards isn't looking great, PNY have said that stock will be very limited for the RTX 3080 on release, and I should expect only two out of the six cards to be here before the end of the month with more stock due mid to end of October. That's fine if you are playing games but not really helpful in my situation :shrug: :(

Associate
My allocation of cards isn't looking great, PNY have said that stock will be very limited for the RTX 3080 on release, and I should expect only two out of the six cards to be here before the end of the month with more stock due mid to end of October. That's fine if you are playing games but not really helpful in my situation :shrug: :(

So who's lieing about stock levels on release, sure I read somewhere there'll be plenty of stock on release day, someone's fibbing.

Associate
I'm in exactly the same boat, although never nuts enough to consider the 3090 :)

Everything is pointing at the 3080 being around 70% faster than the 1080Ti on average. That's a decent hike and worth the upgrade but my card isn't exactly struggling as I game at 3440x1440 ultrawide which is less demanding than 4K and I'm happy to turn a few things down.

I've gone from ordering a 3080 FE on launch day to sitting tight for quite a while now. Going to see how reviews shake out, what third party cards are like for boost clocks and performance, then what RDNA2 comes up with. I'd never buy AMD if I'm honest but, if they produce the goods, it might kick NVidia into releasing more cards sooner rather than later. After all, Vega 64 rumours are what created the 1080Ti :)

If I'm honest this years troubles has given me the money to afford a 3090 if I wanted due to working from home most of the time. Madness has flown from my mind this week and I really want about a 100% gain from the 3080 if I'm going to drop £650 on one that doesn't have enough memory to make me comfortable for an upgrade to 4K which I want to do once a suitable HDMI 2.1 IPS 144Hz+ 40"+ monitor comes along.

I will stick with 3440x1440 gaming on a 100Hz VA for the time being but I've wanted to move to 4K for a bit now.

Soldato
So who's lieing about stock levels on release, sure I read somewhere there'll be plenty of stock on release day, someone's fibbing.

Plenty of stock, just not for everyone sadly. I'm not the size of OCUK, and as such get demoted to the bottom of the pile. The annoying thing is I need at least three cards to complete one workstation, so can't even get one done unless they allocate me three cards.

Soldato
If I'm honest this years troubles has given me the money to afford a 3090 if I wanted due to working from home most of the time. Madness has flown from my mind this week and I really want about a 100% gain from the 3080 if I'm going to drop £650 on one that doesn't have enough memory to make me comfortable for an upgrade to 4K which I want to do once a suitable HDMI 2.1 IPS 144Hz+ 40"+ monitor comes along.

It's the value equation which doesn't add up on the 3090 rather than the outright price. I can afford it but I have better things to spend my money on - I need a new phone and have £700 worth of blurays on pre-order lol.

Associate
It's the value equation which doesn't add up on the 3090 rather than the outright price. I can afford it but I have better things to spend my money on - I need a new phone and have £700 worth of blurays on pre-order lol.

Haha you got spending issues in other directions :D Yeah I cant see myself moving from my Pixel 3XL this year as the Pixel 5 is looking like a value release and my current phone doing fine. Also...

Thats a LOT of blurays!!!

Soldato
Assume you mean 4k Blu-ray here so 8 seasons of game of thrones and what else?!

Back
Top Bottom