• Series S

Votes: 104 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I wouldn't worry about it. The capabilities have already been demonstrated running Gears 5 multiplayer at 120fps.

There's a lot of crap going round on Twitter now from people who don't even have developer kits of the hardware.

The One S could do 1080p/60 in Gears 5 multi though

Soldato
I'm going to wait on Digital Foundry analyses etc until purchasing

Siding on a Series X atm though

The memory seems a bit odd on the Series S ok you can say lower 1440p assets but it's a lot of throughput of data going around at 1440p/60 ?

2 gig of the 10gb is at less than 60mbit/s from specs ? (Less than a One S ?)
That 2GB will likely be for background task etc also the consoles can use the SSD as extra memory if its required.

Associate
It’s very nice box for £250, as a Xbox one x owner I’ll upgrade to Series X (makes more sense) as I have 4K tv already (LG C7, can’t to 1440p or 120hz at 4K sadly, but can at 1080p at 120hz. Won’t upgrade yet but love freesync).

as a second console or for kids room the series s is fantastic.

expect Sony to release pricing at:

PS5 discless £349-399
PS5 full fat £449

so series xox all access and then trade my one x in for PS5 discless perhaps, making up the difference?

Soldato
Will 500GB be enough? Looking at the likes of Forza 7, Gears 5, RDR2, MW, they are all 100GB games aren't they? I would have thought a bigger HDD for a digital only console would have been better.

It'll be a pain in the ass.

But 1TB PCIe Gen 4 SSDs aren't cheap. Could easily be £50 of cost saving by going with 500GB.

Associate
I think the consensus was that S games would be downloaded at specific resolutions. Quarter the resolution plus half the drive size.

I *think* may have been a Phil Spencer quote(ish)

Man of Honour
I think the consensus was that S games would be downloaded at specific resolutions. Quarter the resolution plus half the drive size.

I *think* may have been a Phil Spencer quote(ish)

The 1440p target resolution is about 1/2 not 1/4 of 4k, so I expect textures to be about 1/2 the size too.

Hey look, an SSD at half the size will fit the same number of games as the 1TB on the Series X.

It's almost like MS know what they are doing.

Associate
Id be amazed if the install.sizes were half once you take into account the core , lossless audio etc those would be the same I'd expect

the guy with the beard said that the smart delivery/using correct assets would save up to 40% drive space so hopefully it will help with the 512GB. It’s worth mentioning that the PS5 only has 800Gb (approx) and there is no equivalent smart delivery process on Sony side that I’ve heard of.
Depends how cheap these ssd cards are for Xbox series x/s, bet they are a £100 at least. Still getting one of them though!

Caporegime
OP
It’s worth mentioning that the PS5 only has 800Gb (approx) and there is no equivalent smart delivery process on Sony side that I’ve heard of.

There's no need for it. The two PS5 SKUs are the same bar the optical drive. And PS5 games won't be running on PS4s, Sony will have them listed as separate items on the store.

Soldato
the guy with the beard said that the smart delivery/using correct assets would save up to 40% drive space so hopefully it will help with the 512GB. It’s worth mentioning that the PS5 only has 800Gb (approx) and there is no equivalent smart delivery process on Sony side that I’ve heard of.
Depends how cheap these ssd cards are for Xbox series x/s, bet they are a £100 at least. Still getting one of them though!

Try closer to £200. It's showing on GameStop's internal systems at $219. Might be a placeholder, but it's worth bearing in mind a typical 1TB PCIe Gen 4 SSD is around £150 anyway. So £150-£200 seems likely.

If a typical Series X install is 100GB, a Series S one will be 60GB. So 8 games. Maybe less, depending on the usable space on the drive. Not great. But not absolutely terrible either.

Associate
Try closer to £200. It's showing on GameStop's internal systems at $219. Might be a placeholder, but it's worth bearing in mind a typical 1TB PCIe Gen 4 SSD is around £150 anyway. So £150-£200 seems likely.

If a typical Series X install is 100GB, a Series S one will be 60GB. So 8 games. Maybe less, depending on the usable space on the drive. Not great. But not absolutely terrible either.

yeah I thought £100 was optimistic. If we’re lucky MS will extend the aggressive pricing by subsidising these with their preferred manufacturer??? I know I’m dreaming

I have a couple of external ssd with my current Xbox one x, I’ll keep my old games on those that don’t need the crazy improvement to load times. Probably use one for my music collection!

Associate
There's no need for it. The two PS5 SKUs are the same bar the optical drive. And PS5 games won't be running on PS4s, Sony will have them listed as separate items on the store.

good point. So they are actually in similar position ssd space wise perhaps because all assets will cater for the full fat resolution. PS5 will need additional storage?

Last edited:
Soldato
There is no way MS are subsidising the peripherals and extras you can buy. That is where they will make their money.
I have been moaning to my colleague all morning about the storage on the new console, but realistically its a good balance of size vs cost to keep the price of the console down so that people actually buy it.

I'm sure there will be 2TB+ special editions down the line.
wonder if there will be a way to upgrade the storage yourself using a normal PCI-E SSD.

Soldato
I'm sure there will still be speed benefits even if the games are stored on a USB 3 external drive.

Most pc gamers dont have all their games on the SSD, just the system os and a few games. They are getting cheaper though so that is changing

Associate
So I wanted clarification on the whole Gamepass Ultimate (GPU) issue if you were to buy an S/X via All Access.

I found out via live chat that the All Access 24 months GPU will be baked into the console. So you’ll get an option to activate it there and then on the console when you’re setting up or later (which is done in settings). So if you have GPU until 2023 for example, you can let that sub go down, then activate the 2 years All Access whenever you want.

But I went further....

I wanted to know about the situation regarding buying outright so called Microsoft. Seems a bit unfair that people buying via All Access get GPU for 2 years and not those buying outright.. Now I can’t say whether this person had the right info or not but he seemed very confident that there was going to be a code of some kind (in the box of the S/X, emailed to you or on a receipt) saying that for £/$24.99, you get 2 years worth of GPU....

I literally got him to confirm this 3 times to make sure I had it right (only a technical support dude after all... ) Because for me, £449 + £24.99 (for 2 years of GPU) = £473.99 is a substantial saving. But he seemed adamant that this was a thing and would be announced soon (when pre orders go live perhaps?).

Just thought I’d share what I found out. I’ll believe the outright info when I see it but the All Access stuff is a lock.

Back
Top Bottom