• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 vs 3090 x 4k 144hz x VRAM

Associate
Just watched LTT and J2C do some benchmarking on the rtx3080, gaming 4k and hitting hitting average 90fps.

After having my mind made up on the 3080 to go with the LG 27GN950 4k 144hz monitor I just got, I'm feeling a little deflated now and am thinking the 3090 might make the most of the monitor.

I've tried to research but the interweb is giving me mixed answers like, 4k high Hz is more CPU intensive, Vram isn't important for frames, Vram is more important than CPU. Minefield. Confused. Need help. Please & Thanks.

Soldato
I too am facing this quandary. My initial thoughts are that I need to look at the 1% low frame rates, more probably the 10% low frame rates. And I need to think about VR. Then there are those leaked cards with double the VRAM: is VRAM going to be an issue in the near future? I remember being well ahead of the curve with VRAM. I was right but I purchased a generation too early.

And last but not leas, there's the cost: a 3090 will cost £1400. If I keep it 2 years that's £60 a month; 4 years (skipping Hopper) is £30 a month. But the 3080 would be half that.

Associate
OP
What is it you want to achieve, 4K Ultra @ 144fps average?

Im trying to make the most out of the monitor I have. But without unnecessarily spending almost double the price of a 3080 for a minimal gain.

What I was meant to be asking was, what's stopping the 3080 from hitting higher fps on 4k? Intensive CPU, limited Vram or something else.

I think after a bit more reading, I've settled on the 3080 and play the long game, wait for 3090 benchmarks and the big navi reveal. Re access the situation in a few months. Maybe snag a deal on black Friday :) thanks for the replies.

Soldato
It isn't VRAM or CPU. It's the grunt of the 3080 that's the limitation.

Big Navi at best will match the 3080 and so won't bring anything new to the table.

The 3090 will be 10 to 20% better than the 3080 and that's almost entirely because it has 20% more shaders. Is that worth paying double? Not for gaming alone imo.

Get the 3080, save the money and buy the next best thing in 12 months. If you want to hit 4k 144hz then you will need to turn a lot of settings down on newer games.

Associate
What I was meant to be asking was, what's stopping the 3080 from hitting higher fps on 4k? Intensive CPU, limited Vram or something else.

I think it's mostly down to poor PC ports or coding. Some games appear to exceed average speeds of 150+ FPS, Like Doom Eternal, others struggle for 60FPS like Ghost Recon Wildlands from watching the Digital Foundry review.
I'm curious now as whether my 8600K @4.8Ghz would potentially hold back a 3080 @1440p.

Back
Top Bottom