• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI scalping their own 3080s on ebay, links included [REDDIT]

Soldato
Can the op be updated with their Twitter statement please as people clearly haven't seen it.

Assuming the statement that EastCoast just put up...

So they weren't actually "scalping", a subsidiary somehow managed to get ahold of some stock and were flogging it on ebay for a higher price.

I agree it doesn't put them in good light, but i'd be surprised if the board knew of this happening. If they did then someone would be getting fired.

Soldato
No its a terrible practice and companies caught doing it will lose customers. You just keep buying MSI as you obviously dont have a problem with it.

If you think I dont have a problem with it then you've misunderstood me completely, its as shady as shady gets. Doesn't matter, the issue stems from the people that are buying them.

Soldato
So you are commenting without reading any of the links?

Starlit has same company address as MSI
The MD Of Starlit is MSI head of Sales.
The guy listing the cards of Starlit is an MSI employee
MSI have acknowledged its them and apologised
MSI has partial refunded all the people who bought the cards so they paid normal MSI MSRP or offered them a full refund.

Just how much evidence are you going to need before you stop defending them and claiming its fake news?
Your funny. You're so into deep reading check the times. Nothing was confirmed when i posted or at least it wasn't know. Not really defending either but also not grabbing my pitchfork too soon.

But i dont see a problem with it, the fools are the people paying the money.
Business i work for charge customers completely different prices and we generally charge as much as we can, its basic business.

Associate
Yikes, so this means overclockers are gonna respond right? cause your telling us you cant get stock but your supplier is literally scalping us? or will this be ignored and the fleecing of 2020 will continue.

Caporegime
Your funny. You're so into deep reading check the times. Nothing was confirmed when i posted or at least it wasn't know. Not really defending either but also not grabbing my pitchfork too soon.

But i dont see a problem with it, the fools are the people paying the money.
Business i work for charge customers completely different prices and we generally charge as much as we can, its basic business.

Not sure what you werent reading as most of what I posted was known at 7.21 when you posted if you had been reading up and following the story. Maybe you shouldnt jump in too soon and dismiss everybody as fake news believers?

Soldato
If you read the apology its not MSI its a separate company working as a partner. They will have had to sign contracts etc to qualify as such and by an error with the MSI product list for refurbishments the Starlit company had access to MSI items they shouldnt have.

They will not have the same ethos as MSI or the same company values but will have to comply to certain conditions. It makes MSI look bad because the company in question represents then. Plenty of companies do this, ACER for one uses a company in Tamworth and one in Manchester to deal with refurbished/faulty stock. They are nothing to do with ACER but are a 3rd party. Its almost like sub contracting but not quite.

So you can rubbish MSI all you like but to be fair you are just making yourself look stupid without understanding how it works between companies. MSI have made an error, they have owned up and if you look the Ebay auctions now say "there was an error in the listing product withdrawn" and all the people who have paid are getting there money back. Its not some glorious scam its just a simple mistake which has been apologised for.

Associate
Canon cameras once did similar.. there are Canon UK... Canon USA... Canon Hong Kong etc... now someone in the UK sent his camera in for repair to Canon UK, it was bought off ebay as grey import and when Canon UK got it they declared it a fake and a major row erupted, the serial number on the body did not match the serial number on the software in the camera... hence a fake and they disowned it...

It turns out Canon Cameras are not allowed to be sold from one market into another and the prices are set by the individual markets.. IE USA Canon cannot poach German Canon customers etc... Well it turns out Hong Kong Canon who's price was different to UK Canon started to sell cameras on Ebay as grey imports and were making a killing...

Fearing that the head office Canon Japan would find out they replaced the serial numbers on the boxes and bodies to hide the fact they were Canon Hong Kong stock... Hence they were found out to be poaching the UK market when one went wrong.

Soldato
Canon cameras once did similar.. there are Canon UK... Canon USA... Canon Hong Kong etc... now someone in the UK sent his camera in for repair to Canon UK, it was bought off ebay as grey import and when Canon UK got it they declared it a fake and a major row erupted, the serial number on the body did not match the serial number on the software in the camera... hence a fake and they disowned it...

It turns out Canon Cameras are not allowed to be sold from one market into another and the prices are set by the individual markets.. IE USA Canon cannot poach German Canon customers etc... Well it turns out Hong Kong Canon who's price was different to UK Canon started to sell cameras on Ebay as grey inports and were making a killing... fearing that the head office Canon Japan would find out they replaced the serial numbers on the boxes and bodies to hide the fact they were Canon Hong Kong stock... Hence they were found out to be poaching the UK market when one went wrong.

That's just camera makers keeping the prices high.
You just need to buy an international warranty,,,,simples

Back
Top Bottom