• iPhone 12

Votes: 39 13.4%
  • iPhone 12 Pro

Votes: 93 31.8%
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max

Votes: 109 37.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
Not sure it would work as well in a phone as most of them live in cases. That said Face ID at the moment isn’t great when you are out and about.

Under-screen reader and Face ID is a better solution imo.

That said, fairly sure the iPhone 13 design and specs are pretty much set at this point. When you need to produce millions of these things per week it means the entire supply chain needs to be built out and ready well in advance. These things are often called diseconomies of scale - e.g. the more you need to make of something the more difficult certain things become, like making design changes or quickly changing direction.

After a certain point, having to produce something in such huge quantities just makes thing harder with very little reduction in unit cost.

Last edited:
Soldato
You assume it wasn’t in the pipeline for 5 years - Apple had a patent for power button Touch ID when the 6s launched.

This iPad was being worked on long before it’s predecessor released
That doesn't mean it took 5 years to develop. It probably just means the concept and investigation was done 5 years ago, to the point a patent was made. And then due to other features being prioritised it was descoped. And then at the start of every design cycle it's decided whether it makes the cut this year. From Investigation/Patent stage to tape out stage probably is within a design cycle (12 months).

And a lot of patents are just created defensively, not for them to use, rather that the competition can't use it.

Soldato
I’m sure he immediately reported it back to Tim and his crack team are working on it :D

Strangely, the normal shop worker said the below...

They could have put it in the power button like the new iPad, even just for this generation of iPhone.

Shame they hadn't, as they had the capacity to do so. They take their time over getting the technology right before they implement it as said above, but once it's there, they often give it to everything they feel it's suitable for.

Commissario
If the new iPhone had Touch ID rather than Face ID, I wouldn't buy it. I don't mind the slight inconvenience of having to put a PIN in if I'm wearing a mask, it's quicker to do that than it would be to lower the mask.

I won't be at all surprised to see Face ID being adapted to recognise people, even when they've got a mask on. I'm sure I read something recently from Apple that said they could do that now but it might make phones less secure so I have a feeling this is something that's being worked on in software already.

Soldato
They could have put it in the power button like the new iPad, even just for this generation of iPhone.

Are you suggesting that if Apple were the green company that they are trying to be by removing chargers and headphones from boxes the would put all of the technology from all of their devices into a single device and move the need for producing new devices every 12/18 months, what madness ;)

Soldato
Definately preordering the pro max, even though there is absolutely nothing wrong with my 11 pro max (especially after being replaced and having 100% battery again) the decision is 256 or 512..... i've only got 90 free on my 256 11 pro max currently

Soldato
Are you suggesting that if Apple were the green company that they are trying to be by removing chargers and headphones from boxes the would put all of the technology from all of their devices into a single device and move the need for producing new devices every 12/18 months, what madness ;)

The $1 unit cost of including an additional fingerprint reader in the power button was bean counted and rejected.

Associate
On the up side of Face ID and wearing a mask the iPhone (Xs max in my case) recognises you have a mask on quickly and offers pin input instead without any fannying about. Having always had to wear dust masks for certain jobs it’s a lot more convenient than my last Galaxy S10 used to be. Fingerprint recognition doesn’t work for me as my prints wear off. This was with Samsung Galaxy phones anyway.

Iphone 12 pros being delivered tomorrow :cool: One for the mrs and one for me. The mrs doesn’t know that I’ve ordered one or the fact I’ve got her one too! It could end badly :eek:

Soldato
Mine still says delivery 6th-13th Nov..

I ended up using the issues phone a bit yesterday, not having a button sucks, hope I can get used to it with a bit more usage on the 12, otherwise it'll be going back for a 2020SE...

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Still can't decide whether to keep my 12 pro or change to a mini. I am getting used to the size of the screen, so worry being dropping back down will be noticeable, but still not getting on with the heft of the thing.

Caporegime
Still can't decide whether to keep my 12 pro or change to a mini. I am getting used to the size of the screen, so worry being dropping back down will be noticeable, but still not getting on with the heft of the thing.
Wonder if a 12 is better for this. Mine feels weird still, like it’s too heavy

Associate
The wife's just had her new 12 pro delivered but she was doing a trade in of her old XR . It read online when she ordered that they'd send a bag etc to send the XR off in but nothing has come with the new phone ?

Anyone no how this works please.

Thank you

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Wonder if a 12 is better for this. Mine feels weird still, like it’s too heavy

For me I'm not sure if it's the physical size along with the weight, I was all set to keep the 12 pro after the weekend (partly as can't be arsed with the hassle of changing it), but then I picked up my work 2020 SE this morning and it just felt so much nicer being smaller in the hand, although didn't like the what now feels old fashioned smaller screen.

Which made me think a mini could be ideal.

Just having to weigh up is the drop in camera features worth the more comfortable size, main reason for buying was to have a better camera for taking pics of our little one and not sure if having the extra bits are worthwhile anough.

In the week I've had it I've not used the telephoto lens so don't think I'd miss that, it's more the low light/lidar stuff.

Back
Top Bottom