• Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Mini impressions:

Negatives (get those out the way first)
- Slight plasticky heat smell (as mentioned, now tried 2, both identical) so if you have a sensitive nose just be aware, it'll probably stabilise over the next few days
- Controller feels OK, but shame they didn't step up with some new features.. I just went straight to my Elite Controller and haven't looked back.
- UI is OK, but as people say, it's a bit cluttered at first, although I can find everything I need, it just takes a bit of time.

Positives
- Load times are ridiculous
- Instant on is actually 'instant'
- 4k60 is so nice, I miss very little when switching between this and the PC (other than ultrawide support, 3840 x 1600/1440 would be less stress on the GPU, but if they supported that, I'd ditch PC)
- The size and weight make it feel impossibly engineered, almost zero noise, just a lovely small waft of warm air (except the new plastics smell!)
- MS have absolutely nailed back compat and making moving from one gen to another so seamless..
- All my peripherals work (steering wheel, LS35X wireless headset, Elite v1 Controller)
- The setup is superbly easy, honestly I setup the 2nd xbox quickly to ensure it was ready for Xmas day and pre-loaded all their games, it took < 10 minutes and just left it on today to get those all downloaded, so hopefully far less to do on Xmas day)

Slight surprises
- Destiny 2 - I seemed to have missed the memo in all the noise but imagine my surprise on starting the Beyond Light campaign (minor niggle, on launch day it was confusing in the store as it wasn't clear Beyond Light was on gamepass, I think it's fixed today) and it was 30fps. coming from PC (ultrawide @ 75hz) it was so jarring I had to actually buy it on PC.. Will await December 8th upgrade and also next years cross platform play (fingers crossed).
- I couldn't see an easy way to filter games with Series X enhancements.. part of the confusing UI layout.

Good points that echo many of my own thoughts. I was surprised by the weight of it, especially for something so small - its a solid build.

I ended up going into the MS store to find the games with X enhancements (you can filter them there). I couldn't find this filter anywhere else - Game Pass needs one.

Were you downloading though? I'd imagine that was the case.

I wondered this. When it stops downloading I'll check the fan. Hopefully the fan doesn't stay on all the time. I don't want the fan spinning permanently.

I don't think I'm going to get much sleep this weekend.

Soldato
I'm being thick here. I thought I read that old 360 games were auto scaled to 4k plus the hdr without fps increase. But a game with the S/X icon on it means it's had enhancements to frame rate etc?

If an Xbox One game has an option of an unlocked frame rate then it will benefit from the extra power and most likely run at 60fps. If it's locked to 30fps then it won't go any higher unless developers have patched it to do so. Digital Foundry did a video about backwards compatibility.

Soldato
Well, I didn't get to really play on mine last night. Had problems signing in then it took all night to download gears 5. Oh well, ready to go for tonight!

Does anyone know if the new headphone apps are worthwhile if just connecting to the 3.5mm jack? I have Arctis 7 wireless (not the new ones natively compatible though) so I have to connect through the jack.

Soldato
Wow my downloads are slower than psn. Overnight I only got 73% of forza and it's barely getting 4Mbps when it should be about 45

The download speed is limited if you're playing a game, or haven't quit out of a game from the dashboard.

When I wasn't playing any games yesterday afternoon/evening my 350mb connection was maxed out.

Soldato
Overall I think it's worth some money (personally I always search for cheaper digital versions online, I think I got around 20% off making it more cost effective, I was going to use some uPlay points to get 20% discount but realised at checkout Ubisoft only sell physical copies, which is fine for some, but I'm a whore for convenience).

I fancied digital for this reason but think physical a safer bet so I can sell on if it doesn't click with me.

Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?

Associate
Any recommendations for a sub 50" TV? I cant fit anything much bigger into my study so that rules out OLEDS which all seem to be 55"+. We have an LG C8 downstairs and the PQ is fantastic, but 55" will just be too big, so basically after something that does 4k HDR (not too fussed about 120fps) and probably costs below about £600-£700.

Soldato
Any recommendations for a sub 50" TV? I cant fit anything much bigger into my study so that rules out OLEDS which all seem to be 55"+. We have an LG C8 downstairs and the PQ is fantastic, but 55" will just be too big, so basically after something that does 4k HDR (not too fussed about 120fps) and probably costs below about £600-£700.

Lg just recently released a 48 inch oled

Associate

Sony 49XH9505 is a solid choice if your budget can go to £800.

Soldato
Gutted that my copy of PGR4 won't play on the X :( Was really looking forward to playing it through a third time. Oh well, there's always FH4 I suppose.

PGR won't ever get BC support unfortunately, due to licensing issues.

I'm being thick here. I thought I read that old 360 games were auto scaled to 4k plus the hdr without fps increase. But a game with the S/X icon on it means it's had enhancements to frame rate etc?

You're both talking about different things.

Games with the "Enhanced for Series X|S" logo have been improved to take advantage of the new hardware. This could be anything from resolution and frame rate improvements, to better textures, or just optimising the game for solid state storage.

For all other games:

Xbox One titles will run at their max resolution and frame rate for the given version of the game (One X vs One S). So for some titles, this will mean 4K and 60fps. But for others, it could mean no improvement from the original 900p & 30fps. In the latter case, improving performance will require a patch.

Xbox and Xbox 360 titles will render at an enhanced resolution. IIRC, Microsoft is working on enhancing frame rates, but doing this on the fly is tricky.

All games are getting Auto HDR and improved texture filtering.

Associate

Yeah you are correct. rdr1 looks really good now, I was playing Mass Effect 1 last night the HDR was actually pretty good.

Soldato
I wonder if they will release a Series X update/patch to allow 60fps. I would have thought the Series X should be more than capable of that, considering the specs of it.

It's Rockstar.

While they could patch the game to unlock the frame rate, chances are they'll release a "next gen" enhanced version of the game instead, for another £50...

Back
Top Bottom