Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 29.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
The suspect the Air and the Pro will have pretty similar performance in 'bursty' workloads, but the Pro will significantly out class it when it comes to sustained performance. Being fanless, I suspect the Air will only be able to sustain its peek performance for a matter of seconds before it throttles back but that will be fine for 99% of the people it's targeted at. Anyone doing real work should get the Pro as they always should have done.

Permabanned
I sold my 16" MacBook Pro a couple of months ago for a good price. I am going to order the base Air so will be insane that I will have a faster machine than I had before lol.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I sold my 16" MacBook Pro a couple of months ago for a good price. I am going to order the base Air so will be insane that I will have a faster machine than I had before lol.

Well, it won’t be faster I tasks that heavily use the GPU or longer sustained loads, but most use cases the M1 is going to fly.

Associate
Afternoon

Got a couple of questions with regards to the new Airbooks. Looking at getting our Son one for his school work he's starting high school next year but with lock downs on and off and isolating at home with kids at school that have tested positive he's been at home a lot working from home on a very very old laptop.

Seeing how high school is now seems the children use computers a lot now for home work etc .

I assume these would all run fine for what the needs would be and last him a good while ?

Also is there apps like office // word and excel on the Apple that he can use ?
Could you use cloud to back the machine up to like you can with the Iphones ?

Thank you

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I assume these would all run fine for what the needs would be and last him a good while ?

We assume at this stage everything will run fine, but this isn't known yet as these are the first Apple laptops running custom Apple Silicon.

Also is there apps like office // word and excel on the Apple that he can use ?

He can use the Numbers, Pages, Keynote, which are included as part of iWork, but of course you can get Office if required.

Could you use cloud to back the machine up to like you can with the Iphones ?

You can back up data/files to iCloud. For a full machine back up you would need to use an external drive with Time Machine

Associate
here is very little

d work as well in a phone as most of them live in cases. That said Face ID at the moment isn’t great when you are out and about.

Under-screen reader and Face ID is a better solution imo.

We assume at this stage everything will run fine, but this isn't known yet as these are the first Apple laptops running custom Apple Silicon.

He can use the Numbers, Pages, Keynote, which are included as part of iWork, but of course you can get Office if required.

You can back up data/files to iCloud. For a full machine back up you would need to use an external drive with Time Machine[/QUOTE

Office will be able to be ran it'll just be under Rosetta 2 at the moment - but they're already working on a Universal Binary.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/11/microsoft-office-mac-beta-apple-silicon-support/

Thanks for your replies very tempted to pick one up for him to be honest .

Was looking at pc laptops as well but like my iphone there os seem rock solid. Just need something that runs and has no issue for a few years for him .

He also does a lot of work on unity is coding etc which i'd assume this would work on too

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I've gone for a base MacBook Air but upgraded to 16GB RAM, at student prices that comes to £1078.80.

With Apple you have until 8th Jan to do a no questions asked return due to the extended holidays return window.

Associate
Me and the girl are still debating about what to get. We're both coming from the 2013 MBP. I'm thinking we both upgrade to the MBP with 512gb SSD and 16GB Ram rather than the MBA just so its a little more further safe, good idea?

Oh also we don't have the option of ordering and returning due to us taking advantage of a friend's Apple discount and they're leaving shortly after.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
The status of my MBP (base spec) has just moved from Processing to Preparing to Ship! Delivery date is still showing as Wednesday.

Excited! Even more so as this will be my first Mac (after a very brief stint with a 16" earlier this year).

Back
Top Bottom