New Gaming PC Build for Xmas

Associate
Hey all,

I really could do with some help, even though i've been reading a lot on here recently (my brain is fried, and i'm constantly changing my mind on parts)

In a nutshell, my son who is 15 has asked for a gaming pc for xmas, and a friend of mine in work suggested that we build one ourselves as his son has recently done this himself and it wasn't that hard, and it was a good lesson for him to learn about different components etc... plus opportunity to save some money on a pre built machine.

My son already has a LG 27UK850 4K IPS Freesync Monitor With USB-C, and we've been thinking about the following parts:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
MSI B550 Gaming Edge Wifi
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb DDR4-3200 CL16
Crucial P1 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
Sapphire Radeon RX5700 XT 8GB Pulse Video Card
Corsair RM (2019) 750W 80+ Gold certified Modular ATX Power Supply
Cooler Master Master Box TD500 Mesh White w/controller

Currently adding up to £1108 - and if possible i'd like to get this down to 1k mark on Black Friday hopefully.

My question is are there better components that I could get for the money, or is a reasonably good build?

I welcome all advice that you guys can offer as this is a completely new hobby that we are getting into, and looking forward to learning as much as possible.

Thanks all.

Associate
Forgot to say, the games he intends on playing at either 1440p or 4k are:

Overwatch
Division 2
Valorant
Rogue Company
League of Legends
It'd probably struggle a little with the division 2 at 4k and I'm not sure about rogue company, but it'll definitely manage everything else no problems at all.

If the plan is to run the games at 1440p on a 4k monitor it's worth noting it'll look much worse than native 1440p.

Associate
OP
It'd probably struggle a little with the division 2 at 4k and I'm not sure about rogue company, but it'll definitely manage everything else no problems at all.

If the plan is to run the games at 1440p on a 4k monitor it's worth noting it'll look much worse than native 1440p.

would there be a better GPU then if it means spending a little bit more, without going completely over the top?

Associate
would there be a better GPU then if it means spending a little bit more, without going completely over the top?
You're looking at probably at least a 3070, which is £520 minimum if you can even get one. At that point getting an alright 1440p monitor would probably be cheaper, looking at his current monitor I'm guessing he's still gonna want it for creative work or something to like that?

IMO you should probably just stick with you current budget, and then if it does end up being a problem he could save up for a 1440p gaming monitor at some point, it's not gonna be unusably bad at 4k I don't think, just not an amazing experience as it'll mean turning some settings down quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom