*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Pug

Pug

Soldato
Have to say my experience thus far is mixed.

Whilst I get a signal through the whole house it seems that my phone leaps from 5ghz to 2.4 quite frequently once I get a few metres away (wall in between). This then drops the 200mbps down to 8, which is frankly ridiculous.

Not checked other devices, but always double check my wired desktop and that never moves from 220.

This drop is observed as short a distance as the top of the landing Vs hanging it over the stair rail on the lower floor. I'm somewhat shocked it drops off so quickly.

When I get a 5ghz signal though it's very good

Associate
Have to say my experience thus far is mixed.

Whilst I get a signal through the whole house it seems that my phone leaps from 5ghz to 2.4 quite frequently once I get a few metres away (wall in between). This then drops the 200mbps down to 8, which is frankly ridiculous.

Not checked other devices, but always double check my wired desktop and that never moves from 220.

This drop is observed as short a distance as the top of the landing Vs hanging it over the stair rail on the lower floor. I'm somewhat shocked it drops off so quickly.

When I get a 5ghz signal though it's very good

I've split my 5GHz & 2.4GHz into separate SSIDs. It was partly for this reason, but also that one of my devices only works on 2.4GHz, but seems to have issues if there's also 5GHz available on the same SSID.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
It's not great tbh and something I never had to deal with on my old mesh network, though that had 3 disks.

Hopefully it's more stable and I can plug another one I. To achieve the best of both, but I'm somewhat underwhelmed right now.

Edit: just tried splitting out the 5 and actually impressed, might be the right solution (high speed devices to 5, rest on 2)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hm how do I set my USG to respond to ICMP? I've been hunting around but can't find it. Fibre company want it enabled to run tests.

Not checked on unifi as some devices just have a simple management option to enable ping, if not you can create a firewall rule on the wan interface to allow icmp echo-reply, if it’s just your fibre company then you could also limit to their source addresses, just ask for the ip or range that will be pinging you.

Soldato
Has anyone had issues getting remote access working on a cloudkey before? My own network at home is using a UDM and it works no problem without me having had to set much up. However I'm setting up a USG/Cloudkey for someone and network.unifi.ui.com sees it as online but when connecting ends up at 'Connection failed.'

Loads of search results come back to installing a different Java version - but this wouldn't apply to a CK? One thing I've noticed different between my own setup and this one; from network.unifi.ui.com shows the local address for the controller under host, wheres mine shows the external wan IP instead.

Any ideas?

Soldato
All the cloud keys work on remote access. That’s generally how they’re configured. Are you using Launch using Cloud?

So you go to UniFi.ui.com and if it’s listed then you click ‘launch’ and it opens the controller. Does that not work?

Soldato
All the cloud keys work on remote access. That’s generally how they’re configured. Are you using Launch using Cloud?

So you go to UniFi.ui.com and if it’s listed then you click ‘launch’ and it opens the controller. Does that not work?

Yep that's what I thought - it should 'just work'. After I click launch it opens a new window and show a spinning circle with 'checking network' then after a minute fails with a 'connection failed' message. Controller and cloudkey firmware are up to date.

Soldato
For the price they're actually really impressive. I'm using the 'Professional' mounts for them, which provide better weather resistance and allows you to mount them upside down.

Soldato
The G3 Flex is still overpriced for what it is, but comparitively to the rest of the range they come across as very well priced.
I have two of them and was expecting them to be terrible compared to the G3 Pros.

Soldato
Which Ubiquiti WIfi (ceiling fitting) to cover upstair and downstair coverage? It is semi-detached house.

Budget? Number of clients? 2x2 clients, 3x3 clients or 4x4 clients? The first of the new 2x2 WiFi6 access points has just been released in the US and they’ll be in Europe early in the new year so you might want to wait for those.

Back
Top Bottom