BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
@HungryHippos
fibre with halo one or so the 55-75Mbs speed, 43.03 a month
Logged in, and they now have 2 choices, keep what i have for £8 extra a month, or keep what i have for 14.96 extra a month
Idiots....
I can pay more for 300 fibre or 900 fibre.
Might consider the 300, its 17 pounds more, so 60 a month, still seems dear.

Last edited:
Associate
Recently gave up altogether with BT and getting any form of better service.

We were meant to be upgraded to fibre which is available just down the road in 2014, we are still waiting.

I've mostly used 4G via my phone however in the last couple of months setup gigabit cabling around the house/outbuildings all linking into a 4G router in the loft.

Gone from 6 down to around 80 down and a decent upload.

Line and everything else cancelled now. £30 a month for unlimited 4G with EE for now on.

Soldato
Look at my post on the last page for proper BF pricing:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34250458

They should match any of those deals if you call them.

Miss halo off though. Not that I've needed to use my Halo when I did have it.

They did the 900 one for me at £52.99 with the 3 months free.

Worked a treat, over webchat, about £8 more than i am currently paying, should go from 75mbit to 900mbit.
Also new hub for free, and the wifi discs.
I also lost the halo, but i never made use of that anyway.
They install on 16th Dec. Didn't realise they had an extra bit of kit to fit.

Soldato
How long as the Openreach checker been saying that FTTP is available? It took a couple of weeks for me for BT to say that I could order it once the Openreach site said it was available.

If it's been more than a few weeks then try giving BT sales a call. Good luck though, I spent about 9 hours over 2 calls listening to hold music before I even got to speak to someone at BT about the FTTP at my parents house.

On a side note, I wonder what 'plastic duct 56' means, is it a type of duct or a reference number for a specific duct? I mention it because I have the exact same wording when I check against my phone number.

Soldato
How long as the Openreach checker been saying that FTTP is available? It took a couple of weeks for me for BT to say that I could order it once the Openreach site said it was available.

If it's been more than a few weeks then try giving BT sales a call. Good luck though, I spent about 9 hours over 2 calls listening to hold music before I even got to speak to someone at BT about the FTTP at my parents house.

On a side note, I wonder what 'plastic duct 56' means, is it a type of duct or a reference number for a specific duct? I mention it because I have the exact same wording when I check against my phone number.

Last time I checked was last week when OR was still in my area, they've not been here since so decided to check again and that showed.

I'm assuming the plastic duct 56 is just the type of ducting installed? All BT cables are ducted - no poles in my area.

Soldato
Worked a treat, over webchat, about £8 more than i am currently paying, should go from 75mbit to 900mbit.
Also new hub for free, and the wifi discs.
I also lost the halo, but i never made use of that anyway.
They install on 16th Dec. Didn't realise they had an extra bit of kit to fit.

Nice, it might be that you are going from FTTC to FTTP.

For FTTP speeds above 150mbps they need to install an ONT device on the wall inside somewhere (mine is in the cupboard under the stairs).

New Hub is needed I think for FTTP as well so that makes sense also.

FTTP should also hopefully give you nicer pings by a bit as copper isn't as fast.

Last edited:
Soldato
It shows as stage 1 at the end which means they’re likely still building the connection and laying fibre.
From reading - Stage 1 means that they will need to install an ONT as one doesn't exist.

• 0 stage install: if an Optical Network Termination unit or ONT already exists at your premises, it's very quick to get connected. We can remotely activate a port on the ONT and the rest is generally self-installation. The average connection time is between 1 and 3 working days.
  • 1 stage install: this is when the fibre cable termination is quite close to your premises. The average connection times are between 9 and 18 working days (subject to engineer availability). You'll need to be at the premises to get this connected, as the engineer will need to drill through your wall to install an ONT.
  • 2 stage install: this is when the fibre cable termination may not be close to your premises. This will take longer to install and we may need to complete a survey, as well as any external work. Because of this, the installation may be delayed*, incur excess construction charges** or be deemed infeasible. The average connection times are between 20 and 35 working days (subject to engineer availability). The engineer will complete any external work to bring the cable termination close to your premises, typically 5-10 days before installing equipment at your premises.

V F

V F

Soldato

Oh my god! 9 hours?!

Soldato
Hey, I was using Zen for 150mb though Fttp, I upgraded to Bt 900mb, it went live today, but only seem to be getting 150mb still, but my upload is 110mb. I am using my own router, will I not see the increased speeds unless I use the bt home hub?

What router are you using? It isn't necessary to use the BT Smart Hub, I'm getting the full 900Mbps without it. Have you restarted your router since the upgrade went through?

Back
Top Bottom