• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any Merit To Buying An "Interim" CPU?

Soldato
Good afternoon :)

I really really want a 5000 series Ryzen CPU for my new build, however I am fully aware that stock is limited at best.

I have read elsewhere on this forum that some have opted to purchase an older Ryzen CPU to fill the gap between now and a time when the 5000 series are more readily available. I like the idea and would be happy to make a few quid loss (max £50 say?) to get my new PC up and running.

I am only building my PC for Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD, with a bit of scope for some slightly more demanding programs should my work require it. I have been tempted to go top of the range with everything and max out, but after some thinking and reasoning that I don't seem likely to use multiple cores, I'll probably settle for the 5600X.

I have the MSI X570 Tomahawk. Can anyone advise on a decent but reasonably priced (so I will make minimal loss) CPU that would see me right until I can buy a 5600X? I understand I will need a cooler so if that would suit both there's a bonus. I could be reasoned into purchasing a used CPU if it's a sensible avenue.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I'm happy to make the loss, but I'm just wondering which CPUs are at a good price point at the moment. I am thinking the 3600X is the most likely candidate, but will probably lose me more than £50 in a few months. Just wondering if anyone else has a recommendation for a good value CPU that would work on the X570 mobo I have and has already suffered the majority of its depreciation.

Soldato
if you can pick up something dirt cheap and knowing you will loose £10-20 on it by selling it on and meaning you get to your end goal then why not.

price of the new ryzen will depreciate over time, so you will offset that loss with savings

Associate
I'm interested in doing this as well, I need to re-purpose my current rig for my daughter as a xmas present as she wants a gaming pc, so will be giving her my intel i7-6700k, 1080GTX and other components.

I already have my 3080 and can get hold of all the other parts i need quickly apart from the CPU (382 in queue for 5900x).

Anyone now what a comparable AMD chip would be for a intel 6700k that I could drop into an X570 motherboard in the short term?

Associate
I have the same problem and same mobo,
But I am also waiting for a gpu also,
I got a 3600 as many people suggested their wouldn’t be a major loss next year, didn’t bother shopping around so bought it for £185 from the spicy shop.
Still can’t power my incomplete pc as I need a interim gpu to tied me over.

Soldato
OP
I've found a 3600 for £189 so that's not too bad. Strange that they're going for around £175 used so it's not worth going down that route for me. Looks like I have a stopgap CPU. Now for the GPU!!

Associate
I've found a 3600 for £189 so that's not too bad. Strange that they're going for around £175 used so it's not worth going down that route for me. Looks like I have a stopgap CPU. Now for the GPU!!
Let me no what stopgap gpu you are thinking of,
Need one desperately untill the new gpu’s are more freely available

Soldato
OP
Let me no what stopgap gpu you are thinking of,
Need one desperately untill the new gpu’s are more freely available

Will do, but at the moment I think I'm unfortunately leaning toward paying inflated prices for the 3070 cards that are still available for pre-order. Hopefully they're half-decent and not the cards even desperate people are swerving. It doesn't feel right but I'm seeing how the next few days go. I was previously thinking about a 5700XT as they seem to be easy enough to get hold of.

Soldato
If you want decent performances then 1080ti 2060s 2070s 5700XT are all good interim GPU for second hand.

5700xt has the least amount of depreciation out of the lot.

If you want a bit of value then you will be looking at 1660s.

Soldato
OP
If you want decent performances then 1080ti 2060s 2070s 5700XT are all good interim GPU for second hand.

5700xt has the least amount of depreciation out of the lot.

If you want a bit of value then you will be looking at 1660s.

Thank you, I appreciate this a lot!

Associate
Stupidly when upgrading all my old parts I sold my 1080ti before the 3080 launch (very bad mistake) so since late September I have had all new parts every where, only just built them as I got the 3600.

@pc-guy so price wise and loss of reselling what top 2 would you suggest from the list you already suggested?

Soldato
I would personally go for the 1660s if it is short interim. It is cheap and you can’t lose much. Plus it is cheap and popular easy to shift. But that’s like budget budget GPU

Associate
I would personally go for the 1660s if it is short interim. It is cheap and you can’t lose much. Plus it is cheap and popular easy to shift. But that’s like budget budget GPU
what max resolution would these budget gpu reach ?
and if had to choose which one would you do: msi gtx 1660 6gb £200, msi gtx 1660 super 6gb £250, or the ti version for £270 ?

assuming thinking about the reselling value ?

Last edited:
Soldato
1660s is the same perf as 1660ti. The vram bus is better this it outperforms the 1660 by a fair margin.

you would be running most games on 1080 with medium to high settings to achieve reasonable FPS.

I played fallen order with 1660s with most setting on max and a couple of settings dialled back by 1 notch and able to get no lower than 45fps when the scene is a bit busy. Tho not gotten very far in the game. But most of the time it was capped at 60fps at the time.

so I think that’s a reasonable playing experience.

many people pay £1400 for a GPU for 4k60. So £220 for FHD60 is highly reasonable. :)

Associate
Second last piece of the puzzle landed today, my 3070. Ordered my 5600x and am 466 so not holding out hope for it soon. I think I'm going to have to pick up a 3600 cos I'm on a very old PC with a 1030 and its brutal. Was hoping to shift to PC from PS4 and also give WoW Shadowlands a go.

Oh not the 2nd to last piece of the puzzle, 3rd last. I'm waiting for my DELL S2721DGF to land after 3 cancelled delivery dates....its become tiresome.

Associate
I was waiting on the 5900x for cad and inventor use but cancelled it and went for 3900x and red dragon 5700xt with an msi x570 tomahawk works great for both programs

Soldato
OP
cheers bud,
upon looking at just one site i can see they are very sort after.

@Cadder sorry bud for hijacking your thread.

Don't worry about it, I have found it most useful.

I was waiting on the 5900x for cad and inventor use but cancelled it and went for 3900x and red dragon 5700xt with an msi x570 tomahawk works great for both programs

Nice, have you opened any large assemblies in Inventor with this setup? Was there any reason you went for more cores? I have read that Inventor doesn't utilise multiple cores often so was just going to go for a 5600X.
However, I can be persuaded...
The 5700XT is very reasonably priced. I'm starting to lean toward that as an interim GPU but I can imagine I'll have it a while if it's as good as you say.

Back
Top Bottom