Gaming Laptop - £1500 ish

Soldato
Hello people,

Really out of touch when it comes to gaming, however I am looking into getting a laptop capable of gaming, specifically the new Flight Sim.. but will look into some other games the usual Call of Duty or whatever is out (As I dont really know).

I did look into setting up a desktop, but just for my lifestyle it makes sense to have something portable. I already have a laptop for general use, so really this will literally just be for gaming I no doubt.

I have no idea what the best specs will be in a laptop based system, i.e. GPU.

I am looking at £1500-£2000 probably and it will be in the new year around Jan/Feb time so if there are any new products on the horizon I am happy to wait if they will be better. But any pointers and tips on what to look for in a laptop will be appreciated as I dont' know :).

Thanks.

Associate
I went for

Legion7 15IMHg05, Lenovo Gaming, 15.6 IPS FHD 144Hz, Intel i7-10875H, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 8GB Max-Q, 512GB M.2 SSD, 32GB 3200Mhz DDR4 , should keep me going for awhile

Associate
If you have access to Costco they are selling the Legion 7i with the spec ToFast listed (although with only 16gb ram) for £1,349.99.

I noticed it when I was in there today and thought that was a good price.

Permabanned
I love my Legion7 15IMHg05, a really nice built machine also nice keyboard and back lighting
I upgraded to 32GB of memory , the screen is so good also , images are crisp and sharp and so much detail,the speakers are damm good also

Last edited:
Permabanned
I love my Legion7 15IMHg05, a really nice built machine also nice keyboard and back lighting
I upgraded to 32GB of memory
Alianware . Have o since
2013. No issues. If on budget, check dell g7.

I use to love Dell , but i find the build quality has gone down on latest machines and i think they are expensive
The Legion7 15IMHg05 build quality is amazing i think , seen a lot of good reviews on you tube

Associate
I use to love Dell , but i find the build quality has gone down on latest machines and i think they are expensive
The Legion7 15IMHg05 build quality is amazing i think , seen a lot of good reviews on you tube

i agree on dell build quality, definately down the drain.

If i was the one buying gaming laptop, i would try removable/swapable parts.
Just in case gpu packs up few years later u want easy replaced one instead of reflow.
Or insurance.

Soldato
Some RTX 30 Series laptops are rumoured to be releasing in January with the rest due around April.
Might be worth waiting if you’re interested. I only mention because you seem to have a decent budget.
If not, I hope you enjoy the 7i. It does have a decent display and better speakers than most.

Soldato
OP
Yeh thanks, I was going to wait but I am due to work away early in the year so thought I'd get something now to be able to take with me. Went a bit crazy :) but seemed like there are plenty good reviews on the Legion.

I have a Thinkpad for general use and its great so have previous with Lenovo.

Just be looking for a decent mouse I think, possibly a keyboard too as it seems the keyboard on the Legion could be a bit cramped. Looking forward to getting on the new Flight Simulator with it :)

Permabanned
Some RTX 30 Series laptops are rumoured to be releasing in January with the rest due around April.
Might be worth waiting if you’re interested. I only mention because you seem to have a decent budget.
If not, I hope you enjoy the 7i. It does have a decent display and better speakers than most.

I cannot see the point of the laptop RTX 30 series , i hate to think what they will charge you for these laptops mega money

Soldato
I cannot see the point of the laptop RTX 30 series , i hate to think what they will charge you for these laptops mega money

Based on a standard generational leap we are looking at 20% improvement.
With the performance shown from the desktop versions we can hope for better, although this may be limited by the TDP limitations of laptops.

Better ray tracing support.

Plus 2021 gaming laptops are expected to support 1440p high refresh displays and high end RTX 30 Series paired with Zen3.

All this in a 17” laptop sounds perfect to me.

Associate
Based on a standard generational leap we are looking at 20% improvement.
With the performance shown from the desktop versions we can hope for better, although this may be limited by the TDP limitations of laptops.

Better ray tracing support.

Plus 2021 gaming laptops are expected to support 1440p high refresh displays and high end RTX 30 Series paired with Zen3.

All this in a 17” laptop sounds perfect to me.

Yeah, agreed. I'm going to wait for mid-2021 I think.

Back
Top Bottom