B550 Unify-X

Man of Honour
Any news as to when this is coming out? Very slow news on it as far as I can see... :/

I’m keen because of the 2 DIMM slots so aesthetically it should look pleasant with 2 sticks.

Cheers.

Soldato
Lol, that board is likely to be really expensive. You are buying it because of the way the plastic on the dimm slots look.

way too much money

Man of Honour
OP
Lol, that board is likely to be really expensive. You are buying it because of the way the plastic on the dimm slots look.

way too much money
It’s supposed to be ~£300 isn’t it?

B550 boards are typically cheaper than 570s because they have less features. So I’m thinking of it as a cheaper and more readily available alternative to, say, the dark hero.

I do like the aesthetics with two DIMMs and I don’t have a need for numerous PCI 4.0 devices, so make sense to me assuming a fair price.

Man of Honour
OP
£300 is a lot for a b550 board.
Yes - it objectively is, but the uplift in cost compared to some cheaper offerings is relatively nominal compared to the uplift in cost of some other components and it’s well under my budget.

Did you have any other recommendations that I should consider? Thanks.

Soldato
are you dead set on B550 boards? on these high end B550 you get better value from X570 if you can put aside the the whole chipset fan business.

for instance MSI Unify as an example

X570 - 3xM.2 onboard all PCIe4x4 and can be populated wihtout affecting the primary PCIe4X16 for GPU. you got an additinal PCIex16 @ PCIe3x4 for addon cards etc. SATA drives are not bandwidth shared with any of the above.

B550 - 4xM.2 onboard. but only 1 will run at full PCIe4x4 while another will run at full PCIe3x4. the other 2 will run at PCIe3x2 speeds but you start to loose SATA. otherwise if you want all 4 drives to be at full x4 then you loose GPU x16.

the major difference between B550 and X570 is the amount of PCIe lanes available through chipset. B550 is all PCIe3 and has to share resources with SATA also. where X570 you have more lanes and your get the PCIe4

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom