New to remotes

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Tapping into the vast reserves of OCUK for sensible answers instead of idiot American advice copied from Gizmodo or something.

I have an 15 year Toshiba Plasma TV, Virgin Media, Sony HT-9 Soundbar and a Android x96 max TV box.

So 4 remotes, is their anything on the market that can replace all them ? The TV will be upgraded next year and probably the sound bar depending what brand I end up with (75" monster)

Permabanned
Logitech Harmony range.

What model, depends on what your needs (LCD screen or not) and budget are, if you could get by with using your mobile phone as the remote than buy just the standalone HUB.

Soldato
How much do you want to spend?

You can get cheap multi-device remotes that will do the job for £10-20, but they can be fiddly and sometimes you'll still need to use your old remotes for the odd if but rarely used thing.

The higher end stuff can run into hundreds.

You can pick up a hub to use your phone or tablet as a remote for £30-40 I believe.

Soldato
Used Harmony remotes for years. The setup takes some time but once you've dialled it in its great. Just press a button for an activity, everything you need is turned on and set to the correct inputs etc.

Also handy for my setup where all my gear is on the other side of the wall behind the TV.

Soldato
Used Harmony remotes for years. The setup takes some time but once you've dialled it in its great. Just press a button for an activity, everything you need is turned on and set to the correct inputs etc.

Also handy for my setup where all my gear is on the other side of the wall behind the TV.
My Harmony elite remote also controls my HUE ceiling light :)

Caporegime
Harmony Elite is the correct answer. Having said that, I barely use my remote now. I use my Google Home and voice control for most things and the smart app for everything else.

After a Harmony Elite too, however the price seems to have shot through the roof at the moment
I paid £119 for mine during Black Friday 2 years ago. Just looked, assuming it might be £150-200, and it's closer £300 :eek:

Associate
Harmony Elite is the correct answer. Having said that, I barely use my remote now. I use my Google Home and voice control for most things and the smart app for everything else.

I paid £119 for mine during Black Friday 2 years ago. Just looked, assuming it might be £150-200, and it's closer £300 :eek:

Even used on ebay are over £180 at the moment! Got an alert for it on hotukdeals but not expecting to get a bargain any time soon!

Permabanned
Two things that held their price, the Harmony Elite and Logitech Z906's both of which I got on Amazon Prime days, the normal price is crazy esp as they both are getting on in years but not much else is better.

To buy either used it would need be mint condition as my things are inc the original boxes, some are a right mess on EB and with parts missing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom