Need help with upgrades!

Associate
Hi Folks,

I am looking to get some advice on my build that I have at the minute, I'm keen to upgrade parts but I want to make the right decision on what parts I should upgrade first to enhance the quality of my Gaming PC.

Currently I am playing Warzone, Shadowlands, Rainbow Six Siege and Cyberpunk when it is released.

My Build is;

Intel Core i5-9400F 9th Gen Processor Socket 1151 | Base Speed 2.90 GHz | Max Speed 4.1 GHz Hexa Core (6 Threads) | Cooler Included |
Gigabyte 240gb SSD
2TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5 7200RPM,
GeForce GTX 1660TI 6GB Graphics,
HyperX FURY 8GB (2x 8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 RAM
Voltage: 1.2V | Latency Timing: CL16 | Speed: 2666MHz (PC4-21300) | 1 x 8GB DIMM Memory | non-ECC
Case is Cube Blade made through Box UK Gaming.
Monitor is AOC Gaming 27" Full HD IPS FreeSync 144HZ

Really what I want to know is with the new consoles does my build compete with them or is there areas within my build that I need to upgrade to compete and be more efficient and better.

Thank you

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The most pressing I'd say is a bigger SSD and another 8GB of memory.

The 9400F and 1660 Ti are pretty well-balanced, so if you made a big upgrade to one, you'd be having an itch to upgrade the other.

I'd be surprised if newer games don't run alright on your PC because that's still a decent spec, so they'd be ruling out a lot of the market. I'd guess something like the 3060 Ti is on the horizon, but a 1660 Ti can handle 1080p/144 for now.

Associate
OP
Hi,

Thanks for replying, just had a look inside my PC and my motherboard can only hold 2 slots for DDR4 apparently.. So I can exactly upgrade the RAM sadly. However SSD I can certainly upgrade. I may have to look at the specifications for my motherboard maybe see about replacing it potentially.

ASUS PRIME B460M-K MOTHERBOARD

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hi,

Thanks for replying, just had a look inside my PC and my motherboard can only hold 2 slots for DDR4 apparently.. So I can exactly upgrade the RAM sadly. However SSD I can certainly upgrade. I may have to look at the specifications for my motherboard maybe see about replacing it potentially.

Its says you only have 1x 8gb stick of ram in your first post, but if its 2x4gb it would be worth getting 2x8gb and sell your old stuff.

Man of Honour
Hi,

ASUS PRIME B460M-K MOTHERBOARD
I wouldn't bother if you have 2x8. That motherboard is not compatible with your CPU.

Man of Honour
With my current GPU? or the one you recommended?
CPU, you have a socket 1151v2 CPU, the motherboard you mentioned is socket 1200. But, I wouldn't buy a new motherboard just to upgrade the RAM anyway and I only suggested that because I thought you only had 8GB.

Man of Honour
Ah I see, would you recommend a new GPU?
A 3060 Ti would be a decent upgrade, but the 1660 Ti is still plenty capable for 1080p, so if it was me, I'd give it a generation or two for the stock situation and pricing to improve. That said, you'll also get less for selling your 1660 Ti when the low and mid-range gets a refresh.

Back
Top Bottom