Which GPU?

Associate
I've decided I want to upgrade my GPU in the near future (when stock is available and prices have settled). I'm trying to decide between the RTX 3060 Ti and the RX 6800
... Possibly even the RTX 3070.

I like the idea of keeping an all AMD build, but the ray tracing performance (or lack of) with the new Rx 6800 puts me off a bit. I say this as I'm thinking quite a few titles in the future will support ray tracing. Do you think it's a hardware limitation, or will it be improved with driver updates? Otherwise I think I'll go with an RTX 3000 series card.

What do you think? I'm currently running an 8GB Powercolor RX 5700 which has been pretty decent, but I'm also thinking about upgrading my monitor too (currently 1080p @ 144Hz)... Either 1440p 144Hz or an ultrawide.

Associate
OP
What games do you play?

All sorts when I have free time! I'm planning on getting Cyberpunk 2077 which I'm guessing will be a GPU punisher with RT enabled. I currently play a variety of games including the Far Cry series, Metro Exodus, Tomb Raider, Battlefield games etc... I also plan on checking out the games that Sony release on the PC too as apparantly they're no longer stayng exclusive to the PS4/5.

I want something that will be OK with future releases and not just the games I play now. It's got to handle at least 1440p comfortably with graphics maxed too (which the RX 5700 seems to handle fine at 1080p so far).

My budget for a new GPU will probably be around £600 max as I'm also going to be getting a Ryzen 5000 series chip soon too (currently running a Ryzen 5 3600).

Associate
OP
I think a 3060 Ti also seems like a good deal at it's "normal" price. I'm going to keep my eyes open. I wonder if AMD could improve their ray tracing performance via driver updates? Or is it a hardware thing? Their RT performance on the PC seems disappointing and it's one of the main features when it comes to the new Sony and MS consoles that use AMD hardware.

Associate
OP
I think a 3060 Ti also seems like a good deal at it's "normal" price. I'm going to keep my eyes open. I wonder if AMD could improve their ray tracing performance via driver updates? Or is it a hardware thing? Their RT performance on the PC seems disappointing and it's one of the main features when it comes to the new Sony and MS consoles (that use AMD hardware).

Back
Top Bottom