How much to fit tyres in 2020?

Associate
Hi guys, thinking of getting a set of all season tyres for winter for my car.

However I've come to the dilemma of either getting a full new set of wheels and tyres, or just getting new tyres fitted to my current wheels and storing the summer tyres until it's warmer.

Obviously getting new wheels will significantly increase the initial cost, but if I'm switching tyres twice a year then over the long term it would make more sense.

So to help me with my math, how much does it cost to fit tyres to wheels in 2020? Most of the Google results are about 10 years old. Thanks!

Caporegime
5 per wheel at a friendly place. 10 per wheel at most places. 15 per wheel at an extortionate place.

Just get a cheap second set of wheels for the winter tyres. Second hand wheels from a low spec model, or steel wheels, or something.

What car is it?

Man of Honour
Usually somewhere in the range of 10-40 per wheel unless you got a friendly regular place.

I'm on the fence on this currently - tempted to get a set of winter wheels made up for my pickup but we've just not had the weather to make it worth it the last few winters and my current tyres are a bit of an unknown if we do have proper snow or ice - they do surprisingly well in lightly icy conditions and wet mud, etc.

Caporegime
Usually somewhere in the range of 10-40 per wheel unless you got a friendly regular place.

I'm on the fence on this currently - tempted to get a set of winter wheels made up for my pickup but we've just not had the weather to make it worth it the last few winters and my current tyres are a bit of an unknown if we do have proper snow or ice - they do surprisingly well in lightly icy conditions and wet mud, etc.
40?! Jesus H!

I hope they are refurbishing the wheels as well for that price, you must be having a laugh. If you pay that much they really saw you coming! :p

My friendly place does it for free or for a fiver a wheel depending on what mood they're in. When they do it free I put a couple of quid in the tip jar.

Anywhere else I've gone it's been 10 - 15. A quick Google suggests thats the norm.

Man of Honour
40?! Jesus H!

I hope they are refurbishing the wheels as well for that price, you must be having a laugh.

My friendly place does it for free or for a fiver a wheel depending on what mood they're in. When they do it free I put a couple of quid in the tip jar.

Anywhere else I've gone it's been 10 - 15.

40 is ludicrous. If you pay that you have more money than sense. :p

My local main dealer will do it for "free" if I'm having other work done - I've usually paid £10 per wheel when I've paid for it - possibly £12 in a couple of cases - not paid £40 myself. Some of the main dealers will happily charge you that though.

EDIT: My local main dealer is kind of weird when it comes to stuff like that though - some quite time consuming work and/or parts they aren't that expensive for - actually cheaper than sourcing online and getting an indy to do it - other stuff i.e. regular consumables like filters they will charge you an arm and a leg for while only using a generic OEM standard part.

Soldato
I'd probably just get a set of cheap steel wheels if you are set on doing this.

1. You won't need high performance wheels for driving in winter on winter tyres as you should be taking it easy plus they get covered in ***** that time on year anyway.

2. More importantly, it means once the tyres are balanced it's easy for YOU to swap the wheels over, unless you have a wheel balancer machine at home your relying on someone else swapping your tyres, and if you need them swapped at short notice, and when perhaps we've just had snow, that might not be so easy.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.

I've got a BMW M140i so they came with Michelin pilot super sports which I've read are awful in cold and wet weather.

I've got garage space to store wheels/tyres so that's no problem.

For more detail, I've seen a set of the same OEM alloys available on a different forum for around £450. The tyres I've prices up are the all season Crossclimate+. 225/40R18 front and 245/35R18 rear on ATS for around £450, which brings the total to around £900.

It sounds like switching tyres will cost around £50 a time so maybe spending the extra £450 now in the long run will be worth it considering the wheels can re resold after.

Soldato
5 per wheel at a friendly place. 10 per wheel at most places. 15 per wheel at an extortionate place.

Just get a cheap second set of wheels for the winter tyres. Second hand wheels from a low spec model, or steel wheels, or something.

What car is it?

£5 a wheel?! I normally pay around £15 a wheel which is the best I could find. Most places wanted between £20-25 per wheel.

Soldato
Whereas I'll admit I haven't really spent the time calling all fitters in my area - the ones I have contacted are only interested in selling me tyres and fitting them and simply aren't interested in fitting anything I might supply.

Soldato
It's around £15 a wheel most places now. £10 if you're lucky enough. It's not really worth doing for much less than £15 a wheel at most garages. It's getting on for an hour by the time it's all done and that's usually £60+ of labour at most palces.

Back
Top Bottom