Sub 150watt build to play CS:GO & Left 4 dead 2?

Associate
Not sure if this is even possible but i would like to build a low power pc to use in my camper van i mainly play casual counter strike and left 4 dead 2, id like to play at 1080p 60fps . I was thinking about just getting a laptop but wondering if its better value going for a low power pc build instead, I don't assume i can match the efficiency of a laptop but i would be happy if i could build something that uses sub 150 watts or as close to as possible as i have used a ps4 which is similar power and get decent play time on that so looking to build a pc with similar power.

Budget of up to £400 but the cheaper the better.

Soldato
Ya you should be able to. Build an MITX around either the low powered intel i3 or the ryzen 3 parts and stick a 1650 super or something like that in. You should be within your power budget.

alternatively you can look at mitx with zen APUs like 3200G etc so you don’t need GPU which will significantly reduce power consumption when gaming. Although the APU graphics unit will be limited therefore you will be gaming at much reduced graphical settings.

Man of Honour
A 1050 Ti or 1650 (non-super) would pretty much guarantee you stay under 150 with any recent 4/6 core CPU.

I'd be looking for a mini-PC with a 4650G if possible. But like said above, onboard graphics will struggle with any newer stuff at 1080p/60. L4D should be alright.

Soldato
Those chips don’t exist yet. Rather can’t buy yet.

although there are a few laptops that satisfy your needs but you are paying over the odds for them obviously.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can get a PSU that runs from a 12v DC source. Much more power efficient than using an inverter to go from 12v DC up to 240v AC and then letting a regular PSU convert it back into 12v DC yet again.

Associate
OP
Didn't realize you could get 12v source PSU's that would definitely be a better option that going through the inverter.

Those 4xxx chips look ideal but can't see them available to buy anywhere on their own.

A laptop is looking like the most realistic option after all lol

Associate
Those 4xxx chips look ideal but can't see them available to buy anywhere on their own.
They can be purchased if you look in the right places. Some are sold second-hand, pulled out of OEM systems, and some are new, straight off a tray. I wish AMD would just sell all their APUs retail.

Soldato
You can get 12V PSU but I don’t think they are rated for very high wattage usage. You need to do some research. But that would definitely simplify your build.

mad mentioned before 4000G or Pro APUs are like fairy dust. Anyway you can also get the 3000G APU (again not readily available).

ITX format will be your friend for more power saving and efficiency.

Back
Top Bottom