New to solo PC building

Associate
Hi, I need some guidance in whether I truly need to spend out on buying new hardware for my pc. Currently running a I5 4670K, Z97 pro gamer mobo, 16gb ddr3 1866 ram, ATI Radeon RX570 8mb OC gpu, CX750M psu.

I've bought a Lian Li Mesh ii performance case and an artic freezer ii 240 cooler and now wondering rather than transfer my existing kit into the new case its worth spending out on a new cpu, mobo, memory and possibly more.

Regards

Chris

Associate
OP
First off, Welcome :)

It all depends on what your using the PC for.. The older gen stuff still does well with gaming
Thank you. Yes its for gaming. I've tried using the mobo's performance option but seems to crash the PC. I was thinking it might of been overheating. Division 2 complains that my cpu and gpu are too old.

Soldato
First off, Welcome :)

It all depends on what your using the PC for.. The older gen stuff still does well with gaming

While I do agree, I think the 4 series Intel cpus is about as old as you should be going. 4770/4790 do hold up OK, but without HT, games will suffer. That's not with expensive or high end cards either.

OP; It would be beneficial to upgrade, you could go b550, 3600 (as a temp) and then 16 or 32gb ram. That would get you in the door for ryzen.

Associate
OP
I use either 'speccy' or the ROG GPU Tweak II software. I've not repasted the CPU since I build it a few years back but obviously will if keeping the components is a feasible option

Soldato
While I do agree, I think the 4 series Intel cpus is about as old as you should be going. 4770/4790 do hold up OK, but without HT, games will suffer. That's not with expensive or high end cards either.

OP; It would be beneficial to upgrade, you could go b550, 3600 (as a temp) and then 16 or 32gb ram. That would get you in the door for ryzen.

Yeah very true and I suppose the upgrade will get a nice performance boost and you then have an upgrade path for a very while with AMD

Soldato
Yeah very true and I suppose the upgrade will get a nice performance boost and you then have an upgrade path for a very while with AMD

I went 4790k at 4.7ghz to 3600 at 4.4, difference was day and night. 100% worth it.

Sorry what is 'HT'? I was toying with a 5600X, X570 TUF gaming Mobo and 3200 DDR4 ram....all money though.

Hyper threading.

Do you need the features of the x570? You could easily save £100 and go b550 tomahawk and still have overclocking features.

Associate
OP
as long as it supports a 5600x I guess not. I was making an assumption (bad or not) that X570 was newer architecture and thus preparing myself for any potential future changes without a new mobo

Back
Top Bottom