Do I need a new battery?

Soldato
I keep getting a warning of increased battery discharge on my 2009 E81 BMW 1 series.

Hardly surprising since it's barely moved since March but given I've had it for about 7 years and 160k miles and it's never had a new battery is it fair to assume this is the issue?

It's a yellow warning, I've read it's a red warning if it's the alternator?

If so, any suggestions for a battery/fitting company? I daresay I could do it myself but I never have and I have no tools if any are required. Happy to pay a small amount for the service.

Soldato
You don't have a socket set or adjustable spanner. Possibly a screw driver.

Buy the correct battery from Tanya and fit it, ask a neighbor for the tools of you really don't have any. It's beyond easy to do.

Soldato
OP
I've got screwdrivers etc just not socket sets..

Other than £15 am I losing anything by having halfords do it? Got enough to think about at the moment :)

Associate
I've got screwdrivers etc just not socket sets..

Other than £15 am I losing anything by having halfords do it? Got enough to think about at the moment :)
No, I worked for Halfords for a couple of years and even though a lot of the people there don't know what they're doing, this is a very easy job. The battery won't need coding if it's anything like the one in the video. If there is an extra "box" around the negative terminal then it will. That will be the "Intelligent Battery Sensor"

Soldato
It will probably get to the point of not starting. Try disconnecting the IBS, my old E60 and wife's current E90 both had that error and disconnecting it fixed the problem. It'll leave an error that obd scanners will pick up but won't flag an error in the dash. I never replaced the module on either car.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom