• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raytracing - Would you buy in to it now?

Associate
That's what you said in #121, how else would you interpret that :confused:
yeah the game has ray tracing but a rubbish draw distance(also lacking in some other graphical features like water splash etc). I would have preferred a standard draw distance. Badly worded.
They probably needed to claw back some performance to get playable even with DLSS.

Associate
No, I do want RT but the performance hit seems excessive for now especially as I'm at 4K. Hopper or RDNA3 and I'll almost certainly jump but I'll happily wait for now. I'd love to play CP2077 with RT when it's finished which I guess will be about when Hopper is released. Buying buggy not quite finished games at full price or GPUs that can't run 4K 60 ultra plus RT without compromising image quality e.g.DLSS performance for £1800 seems like a fools errand to me. I'd understand if there was a significant MP element to it but waiting can only improve the experience and we need much more powerful GPUs and less of a performance hit for me to buy into it.

Last edited:
Permabanned
No.

Even with a 3080 I don't think it's worth the performance penalty and I don't like the compromises DLSS brings in order to get the frame rate up (I can really notice the resulting noisy textures etc).

Maybe next gen.

This. I am still trying to improve raster performance so it will probably be several generations before I buy in to RT.

Associate
Being a current 3080 owner ive seen what all the fuss is about, im patiently trying to buy a 6800XT now so.... RT is barely noticable in the handful of games that have it bar Cyberpunk 2077, but like most others the fact Nvidia had to invent a crutch in DLSS to support it says exactly what i think, consumer hardware is NOT ready for Raytracing yet. DLSS is nice but visual fidelity suffers, and in any other industry if i sold you a product with a new feature that crippled the performance but with a button that can get you most of the performance back but at a lower grade quality you would have serious doubts about purchasing it.

So having tried RT on fairly decent hardware (3080 + 5900X) im inclined to think we are just not ready yet for the impact on performance it delivers for its visual upgrade that is most of the time unnoticed unless you stop to specifically look for it.

HDR is better right now, negligible impact on fps, subtle to major impact on visuals, unnoticeable at some points, extremely noticeable at others.

Soldato
HDR is better right now, negligible impact on fps, subtle to major impact on visuals, unnoticeable at some points, extremely noticeable at others.

Yup, if people don't have a decent HDR display they should put more money towards that first, the difference can be so great, it's an incredible experience.

Soldato
Yup, if people don't have a decent HDR display they should put more money towards that first, the difference can be so great, it's an incredible experience.
Not sure about that. While it does look great when it works HDR is still messed up on Window's and is more hassle then its worth half the time and due to all the bugs makes games look worse as often as it makes them look better. Plus many of the games that say they implanted HDR have fake HDR. There are not that many real HDR games out.

Associate
yeah the game has ray tracing but a rubbish draw distance(also lacking in some other graphical features like water splash etc). I would have preferred a standard draw distance. Badly worded.
They probably needed to claw back some performance to get playable even with DLSS.
I've been impressed by the draw distance, so no idea what you're talking about.

Associate
and some will complain about nothing.
complain?
I highlighted some graphical compromises made in the game. You are impressed with it which is fine I cannot tell you what you see or how the game looks for you.

I would not view this as complaining about anything unless you are hypersensitive about the game for some reason.
Ray tracing at the moment is very expensive on the GPU and it would not be ideal for other visual aspects of the games we play to suffer in order to accommodate these features. Again this is my view on it and you are happy to have your own.

Last edited:
Associate
I highlighted some graphical compromises made in the game.

EVERY game makes graphical compromises left, right and center ... if they didn't compromise the framerates wouldn't be pleasant. You can pick at these for any and every game.

The real issues are where such compromises are made in the wrong places (which can certainly be subjective, as much as solving the problem is an art in itself), or if there are related bugs. E.g. in CP2077 it's kinda weird that the 2D sprite cars in the distance suggest a densely populated road but the road ahead all the way up to those 2D sprites is free of cars. And which of those two is the actual bug, the lack of cars nearby or the suggestion of many cars up ahead?

Associate
did I hurt your feelings?
I'm sure why an alternative opinion is viewed as whining or complaining.
but point taken I will stop discussing.
no, not at all. We are both free to express our own subjective experiences, I haven't noticed any draw distance issues and was quite happy stood out in the desert looking back at Night City in all it's glory.

Caporegime
Raytracing - Would you buy in to it now?
Nope. Going to take years for this to mature and become mainstream/worthwhile. Right now it's more like a gimmick, and the performance cost is huge.

Maturity doesn't just mean hardware it means effective use of RT in software too. Not just "maximum shiny" :p

Caporegime
Given that most "HDR" PC monitors aren't really HDR at all (they barely meet the worst level of the spec), your comment practically equates to "game on an OLED TV" :p

Seriously, there are practically no "proper" HDR PC monitors. All the reviews of popular monitors will almost certainly say, "This unit is branded HDR but it's marketing/HDR in name only." See Rtings, HU, etc.

Mostly that's due to PC monitors not being FALD and not having at least 600nits peak brightness. The weak contrast levels of most PC monitors mean that HDR is a bit of a myth on those.

Soldato
Given that most "HDR" PC monitors aren't really HDR at all (they barely meet the worst level of the spec), your comment practically equates to "game on an OLED TV" :p

Seriously, there are practically no "proper" HDR PC monitors. All the reviews of popular monitors will almost certainly say, "This unit is branded HDR but it's marketing/HDR in name only." See Rtings, HU, etc.

Mostly that's due to PC monitors not being FALD and not having at least 600nits peak brightness. The weak contrast levels of most PC monitors mean that HDR is a bit of a myth on those.

My LG BX isn'y very bright in the grand scheme of things but seems to pull off HDR quite well.

The problem I find is any game I play on the OLED I don't want to then play it on the PC monitor because everything looks garbage on monitor compared to the OLED, even when comparing it sitting up close to the OLED.

It was the same even with my old LED TV (Samsung NU7400)

My Dell S2721DGF seems better with HDR on than off in games that seem to properly support it like Cyberpunk and FS2020.

On the subject of ray tracing, I absolutely would buy into it, I like eye candy and when they've actually implemented some degree of RT in the game it looks fantastic, I would rather run CB2077 with RT at max and DLSS on auto than DLSS off and no RT.

Back
Top Bottom