• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Watercooled GPU - 3090

Zdb

Zdb

Associate
Folks,

I embarked on my first custom loop. And one element was a Zotac 3090 with the EK waterblock and backplate.

All seemed to install fine in the end, except why I try to boot into windows - I get so far and the screen corrupts. BIOS and boot up is fine. I’ve tried replacing everything and the common issue is with the 3090. I’m assuming, something is wonky donkey with it... I’ve tried stripping it down, new thermal pads, and reseating everything carefully. But at the exact same point it goes pop every single time.

I’m assuming the worst here... have I fried beyond repair a rather expensive graphics card?

Associate
Id be quadruple checking you've got the right thickness thermal pads on the right components, if you have these wrong then the block won't make proper contact with the right components (even if it looks ok on the outside) and you'll probably thermal throttle pretty much instantly.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Surprised no-one has waded in here yet and said RMA it.

Not suggesting you do as you’ve presumably invalidated the warranty, but...

Associate
Are you able to test with a different gpu to see if it’s the gpu causing the problem?

A screen corrupting may indicate too much pressure. If the GPU was over heating the computer would just shut down and restart.

Zdb

Zdb

Associate
OP
If it was over heating I’d expect some variance in how long it takes... it’s exact.

On the thermal pads, yep I totally double checked them. And I triple checked the instructions. Only one thing, when installed, the backplate has a bend in it. I think that’s where I’ll investigate next - but everything is as it’s meant to be by the manual. If i take the backplate off, it makes no difference - so I don’t think the backplate makes a difference.

I’ve plugged in an old 1070, using a riser cable spare I had, and it works perfectly... I’d rather precarious. It’s definitely the 3090.

As for RMA, yeah I think warranty is up the goose. I should have just went for simple... totally kicking myself.

Associate
Did you test it was working before you stripped it for the block? Put it all back together and RMA it.
Shouldn't be an issue unless you've butchered something

Zdb

Zdb

Associate
OP
First time around, yes. It was working fine. Today, I drained and stripped it. Meticulously put it back together to get the _exact_ issue afterwards.

because I’m using a riser kit, I can try another card without the hassle - so I’ve installed windows with that card. Will see if it gets any further with a proper windows install behind it.

it’s such a pain in the arse draining and stripping down to do any troubleshooting. But my next course of action is to identify the cause of the slight bend in the backplate - I couldn’t identify it last time. Maybe the backplate isn’t as perfect a fit as it needs to be. But I’m not putting any faith in that, as with the backplate off, I get the same issue - so I presumed it was just a superficial issue.

after that I guess, put it back together and test it, then see what Zotac can do with it.

am I missing anything? I’m a bit rusty as I haven’t built anything in 4 years, and as said, it’s my first custom loop... and may well be my last with a £1600 mistake.

Associate
First time around, yes. It was working fine. Today, I drained and stripped it. Meticulously put it back together to get the _exact_ issue afterwards.

because I’m using a riser kit, I can try another card without the hassle - so I’ve installed windows with that card. Will see if it gets any further with a proper windows install behind it.

it’s such a pain in the arse draining and stripping down to do any troubleshooting. But my next course of action is to identify the cause of the slight bend in the backplate - I couldn’t identify it last time. Maybe the backplate isn’t as perfect a fit as it needs to be. But I’m not putting any faith in that, as with the backplate off, I get the same issue - so I presumed it was just a superficial issue.

after that I guess, put it back together and test it, then see what Zotac can do with it.

am I missing anything? I’m a bit rusty as I haven’t built anything in 4 years, and as said, it’s my first custom loop... and may well be my last with a £1600 mistake.

issue with the riser cable? did you test that card in the riser cable?

Permabanned

Wait...riser cable? You aren't running pcie 4 are you? Most riser cables don't work with 4.

Zdb

Zdb

Associate
OP
I’ve got two riser cables, both are PCIe 3.0. I wanted to vertically mount the card. I’ve had the same issue with both. I’ve set the BIOS to Gen 3, but I wouldn’t have expected an issue from that. From what I’ve read lots of folks have ran 3090 on gen3 riser cables.

Associate
Very unusual to have a manufacturing defect from ek, especially a bent back plate. You sure it was bent before installation and there's not been something under it when installing?

I'd be tempted to put the stock cooler back on and see if it runs. Zotac warranty is pretty good but can't remember if they fit anti tamper screws or not on the stock cooler (stickers over the screw heads).

HRL

HRL

Soldato
As someone else pointed out, could well be a problem with the riser.

Able to test it without?

Merry Christmas all BTW. :D

Zdb

Zdb

Associate
OP
I plugged in an old 1080 direct and with both the riser cables. All good.

I finished the windows install with the 1080. And with the 3090 it boots up fine, logs in and I get a desktop. After the same amount of time it’s corrupting. Weird... weirdest thing I’ve ever had. Will look at it again tomorrow.

Soldato
I would definately try the 3090 directly in the pcie slot, without the riser cable. As said above with gen3 riser the card will not work. I know you've said you've set it to gen3 in bios but I wouldn't be surprised if the setting is bugged and not working. I had exact same issue with a 3080 and a gen3 riser. Hopefully this is the same for you.

Besides vertically mounted cards look terrible :p

Associate
I'm using a different block (alphacool), but who knows, it might help ... when I put the block on my 3090 I also ended up with a bent backplate. Had to take it apart again for some reason anyway, and discovered it was my error (and the instructions not being clear on this point) as I missed putting the IO shield between card and backplate - that little bit of extra thickness made things a heck of a lot better and the backplate is no longer bent.

I never tried powering it up with the bent backplate though.

Soldato
Besides vertically mounted cards look terrible :p

Do they? Vertically mounted is perfect for watercooling as you can actually see fantastic block.

IMG-0991.jpg

Back
Top Bottom