Reverb g2 is what rift s should have been?

Associate
Such a shame! I purchased the rift thinking if I buy 4 sensors it would have an upgrade path, similar to vive.

I really want a new VR, but don’t want to spend 1k all at once.

may the same time I don’t want the built in sensors of the quest.

Do I buy the rift s for £200 second hand to put me on until the next generation?

Soldato
What GPU do you have?

This^

One of the main concerns for manufacturers is how big of a market can actually use the hardware they make.

I just built a sim-racing PC for someone else and that 3080/5800X system had to run settings between low and medium to hold 90fps on the Reverb G2.

The number of people with systems that strong is pretty small.

Soldato
may the same time I don’t want the built in sensors of the quest.

Do I buy the rift s for £200 second hand to put me on until the next generation?

You are aware the RiftS uses inside out tracking like the quest right?

Insight tracking is really quite good these days, any particular reason you don’t want it?

Unless money is tight there’s no way I would personally buy the riftS used at £200 when you can get the quest 2 new for £300. With the link updates the Quest is higher refresh rate, higher resolution, can play wirelessly with virtual desktop and can play stand alone VR too. And it has (somewhat) adjustable IPD. There’s a reason the rift S is being discontinued!

Last edited:
Soldato
Rift s owners may lost out because oculus is going EOL with rift. Quest is the main headset for oculus now

Soldato
Lack of new features and updates that are quest only I assume would be the inference.

Perfect example would be when they rolled out hand tracking for quest and ignored the Rift S entirely. Only after a lot of complaining and feedback requests did they later consider adding it, and that was back when it was a fairly new product. It’s long been the red headed step child to the quest, and that will only be exacerbated by the Quest 2 and discontinuation of the Rift S.

If you are happy with it not receiving any substantial updates then there’s likely little impact other than oculus clearly no longer focusing on PCVR content, but there’s always the steam store available.

Personally I think for the same price as the now discounted Rift S the Quest 2 is a more compelling proposition. Even comparing a used rift S at £200 to a new Quest 2 at £300 is an easy choice IMO.

Associate
This^

One of the main concerns for manufacturers is how big of a market can actually use the hardware they make.

I just built a sim-racing PC for someone else and that 3080/5800X system had to run settings between low and medium to hold 90fps on the Reverb G2.

The number of people with systems that strong is pretty small.

Hmm i was thinking of doing the exact same build, bit disheartening to read this tbh, wondering how the rift s at higher settings would compare to the G2 and lower settings?

Soldato
Hmm i was thinking of doing the exact same build, bit disheartening to read this tbh, wondering how the rift s at higher settings would compare to the G2 and lower settings?

I think an Index is probably the best compromise between clarity and resolution - though of course horrendously expensive. SDE is still present but not really an issue. FOV is massive, and the resolution is a size which the newer graphics cards can handle at higher detail levels. The ability to change refresh rates also helps with more demanding titles.

Soldato

Stick with the idea of getting the G2. It will look better than the Rift S.

Soldato

I have used the CV1, the S, the G1, and now the G2. (I also spent some time in the Index at a friend's house.)

With the CV1 and the S, the Reverb's (G1 and G2) resolution trumps the higher settings that can be ran on the CV1 and S. I think an argument could be made for the Index with higher settings, but I would still prefer the Reverb's resolution myself.

The Index looked good enough that I wouldn't be in a hurry to upgrade to the Reverb if I owned one. Compared to the CV1 and the S, the Reverb is a giant leap forward visually.

Associate
so if your new to vr would you plump for a reverb g2 or a quest 2 , i like fps games .
i know the g2 has a greater resolution per eye and has two lcd but would that make that much difference
does the quest 2 have one lcd or one per eye

Associate
OP
The reverb will end up costing me over a grand, I don’t want the terrible controllers so I would buy the index controllers.

I also thought the rift S had higher resolution compared to the quest 2?

How many games can you really fit on the guest 2 64GB? I couldn’t imagine it would be enough?

Soldato
The reverb will end up costing me over a grand, I don’t want the terrible controllers so I would buy the index controllers.

I also thought the rift S had higher resolution compared to the quest?

The reverb controllers aren’t “terrible” and I would definitely recommend trying them first if going that route before committing to the index controllers. It is almost certainly the worst controller of the three main headsets at the moment (quest 2/index/G2) but a million miles from terrible in my experience.

The quest 2 is 1832x1920 per eye, the Rift S is 1280x1440 per eye, so no the Quest 2 is significantly higher res and both use rgb stripe. If you are referring to the original quest, then that too was actually higher resolution than the RiftS but used pentile OLED rather than RGB stripe LCD giving less sub pixels... better colours and blacks but less sharpness despite the higher headline resolution value.

For reference index is 1440x1600 per eye and G2 is 2160x2160, again both using RGB stripe lcd.

How many games can you really fit on the guest 2 64GB? I couldn’t imagine it would be enough?

Most mobile games are only a 1-2gb at most... only a very few are bigger - around 11gb is the biggest iirc. Of course it’s not really a big deal if most of your games are going to be PCVR anyway (which one assumes is the case if you are considering riftS/index/G2) as those will be installed on the PC.

Last edited:
Associate
The quest 2 is 1832x1920 per eye, the Rift S is 1280x1440 per eye, so no the Quest 2 is significantly higher res and both use rgb stripe. If you are referring to the original quest, then that too was actually higher resolution than the RiftS but used pentile OLED rather than RGB stripe LCD giving less sub pixels... better colours and blacks but less sharpness despite the higher headline resolution value.

does the quest 2 have 2lcd screens one per eye or just one ?

Associate
i'm definitely going to upgrade to the G2 then, I am a bit peed off paying £400 for my rift s a few months ago though, wish i had waited and pre ordered the g2 at the cheaper price.

Soldato

does the quest 2 have 2lcd screens one per eye or just one ?

It's like there's an echo :p lol. Think you deleted the quotes!

Quest 2 has a single LCD screen

Associate
OP
The reverb controllers aren’t “terrible” and I would definitely recommend trying them first if going that route before committing to the index controllers. It is almost certainly the worst controller of the three main headsets at the moment (quest 2/index/G2) but a million miles from terrible in my experience.

For reference index is 1440x1600 per eye and G2 is 2160x2160, again both using RGB stripe lcd.

Most mobile games are only a 1-2gb at most... only a very few are bigger - around 11gb is the biggest iirc. Of course it’s not really a big deal if most of your games are going to be PCVR anyway (which one assumes is the case if you are considering riftS/index/G2) as those will be installed on the PC.

Ohhh I see, I was comparing them on the oculus site https://www.oculus.com/compare/

the resolution comparison is sooo misleading, the rift s says it is higher resolution but those numbers must be both eyes. If g2 is 2k per eye I’m sure rift S isn’t xD.

Back
Top Bottom