• iPhone 12

Votes: 39 13.4%
  • iPhone 12 Pro

Votes: 93 31.8%
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max

Votes: 109 37.3%

• Total voters
Associate
Starting to get tempted to upgrade from my X, I just noticed that my contract is finally up in Jan.

I might just move to the iPhone upgrade programme. At this stage, I’m okay with a service fee to use my Apple devices/service. Would be super nice once they do roll out a unified hardware/software subscription service.

Pet Northerner
Don
Ordered the 12 Pro Max yesterday in Pacific Blue and was quite surprised when it turned up today. Have to say, so far very impressed. Upgraded from a XS Max. The Camera seems significantly better and i love the design / build quality. Screen is immense and speakers on it are a nice upgrade to. Battery also seem rather impressive. Rocking it naked at the moment, just can not dfecide if i should cover it up or not, looks so damn good feels like a shame to cover it

I have the same and decided on a clear case, just in case.

Associate
Anyone having any of the widespread screen issues being reported via other forums?

- Flickering blacks in low brightness
- Much warmer screens this year
- Green/pink hues and off-axis colour shifts
- Raised blacks
- Green blacks at zero brightness in dark environments

Soldato
Anyone having any of the widespread screen issues being reported via other forums?

- Flickering blacks in low brightness
- Much warmer screens this year
- Green/pink hues and off-axis colour shifts
- Raised blacks
- Green blacks at zero brightness in dark environments
Are these widespread issues on all the 12 variants? I can’t say I’ve noticed any on my regular 12. I do agree the display seems slightly warm but I put that down to True Tone. Switch it off and not an issue.

Soldato
Ordered the 12 Pro Max yesterday in Pacific Blue and was quite surprised when it turned up today. Have to say, so far very impressed. Upgraded from a XS Max. The Camera seems significantly better and i love the design / build quality. Screen is immense and speakers on it are a nice upgrade to. Battery also seem rather impressive. Rocking it naked at the moment, just can not dfecide if i should cover it up or not, looks so damn good feels like a shame to cover it

get a skin, keeps the original shape and colour if you go fur a clear one and no added bulk.

I’ve got a yellow skin on mine at the moment, I normally go for a clear one.

Soldato
Got any links to one you would recommend please?

I've used xtremeskins for the last 5 years or so since I discovered them.

The clear gloss or clear matt skins are quite tricky to fit, I normally have to use the two you get in the pack to get it right. The first year I had to rebuy them as I just couldn't get one bubble out. The coloured ones are much easier as you don't need to worry about bubbles.

Also matched my MBP, Peels off very easily and leaves nothing behind even after a year.

-

Photo of mine on another thread here, #50 you can see a slight join in the top and side where the two skins meet but you don't notice unless you actually look for it.

Last edited:
Associate
I've used xtremeskins for the last 5 years or so since I discovered them.

The clear gloss or clear matt skins are quite tricky to fit, I normally have to use the two you get in the pack to get it right. The first year I had to rebuy them as I just couldn't get one bubble out. The coloured ones are much easier as you don't need to worry about bubbles.

Also matched my MBP, Peels off very easily and leaves nothing behind even after a year.

-

Photo of mine on another thread here, #50 you can see a slight join in the top and side where the two skins meet but you don't notice unless you actually look for it.
Thanks for that, i will take a closer look into these

Associate
After 4 years on the other side it's time to get an iPhone again. Currently have a S10 and I must say that going to a screen with a huge notch will definitely feel like a downgrade. I hope the 12 screen is as good as the S10. I WISH the 12 had a 120hz screen though.

I can't make up my mind though, should I get the regular 12 or the 12 Mini? I liked the idea of the Mini but from what I'm reading it's not selling very well and this affected my decision somehow.

Soldato
After 4 years on the other side it's time to get an iPhone again. Currently have a S10 and I must say that going to a screen with a huge notch will definitely feel like a downgrade. I hope the 12 screen is as good as the S10. I WISH the 12 had a 120hz screen though.

I can't make up my mind though, should I get the regular 12 or the 12 Mini? I liked the idea of the Mini but from what I'm reading it's not selling very well and this affected my decision somehow.
I moved to iPhone for the first time with the 12 and have not regretted the decision at all. I thought I would miss the 120hz butt honestly IOS runs so smoothly there's barely a difference. For all Samsung's 120hz 'goodness' my FE was always prone to the very occasional stutter. I still have the FE as I'm waiting on Samsung to accept my return and honestly between Android 120hz and IOS 60hz I'd pick 60 any day, plus you forget about it after an hour or so anyway.

Size wise I couldn't recommend the mini to anyone (unless they REALLY wanted a small device). I just think value for money the 12 is the clear winner. In the hand it's virtually the same size as the wife's S10e and that is a small device.
As for the notch, yes it's not ideal but for me is sticks out way less than the hole punch. Horses for courses and all but for me the hole punch is the worst workaround for the front facing camera, I never liked it - it just sticks out like a boil. At least the notch is serving a purpose with the FaceID sensors and what not. Much like the 60hz it quickly disappears.

Soldato
I moved to iPhone for the first time with the 12 and have not regretted the decision at all. I thought I would miss the 120hz butt honestly IOS runs so smoothly there's barely a difference. For all Samsung's 120hz 'goodness' my FE was always prone to the very occasional stutter. I still have the FE as I'm waiting on Samsung to accept my return and honestly between Android 120hz and IOS 60hz I'd pick 60 any day, plus you forget about it after an hour or so anyway.

Size wise I couldn't recommend the mini to anyone (unless they REALLY wanted a small device). I just think value for money the 12 is the clear winner. In the hand it's virtually the same size as the wife's S10e and that is a small device.
As for the notch, yes it's not ideal but for me is sticks out way less than the hole punch. Horses for courses and all but for me the hole punch is the worst workaround for the front facing camera, I never liked it - it just sticks out like a boil. At least the notch is serving a purpose with the FaceID sensors and what not. Much like the 60hz it quickly disappears.
I mostly agree with you entirely, but coming from the OnePlus 6 I absolutely love my 12 Mini. Never want a bigger phone again.

Soldato
I mostly agree with you entirely, but coming from the OnePlus 6 I absolutely love my 12 Mini. Never want a bigger phone again.
Totally understandable. I just think you need to be very sure you want a Mini as the small screen could get very old very quickly. For those that really want a small phone then absolutely, it's a no brainer.
Has all the internals of the rest of the 12 range (slightly slower charging) but for sure a pocket rocket.

Associate
A couple more questions, I can unlock my S10 with my Garmin watch (I believe it's called Smart Lock), I'm guessing this is not possible on the 12?

Also, can I use FaceID for website passwords etc or do I have to manually input them every time?

Soldato
A couple more questions, I can unlock my S10 with my Garmin watch (I believe it's called Smart Lock), I'm guessing this is not possible on the 12?

Also, can I use FaceID for website passwords etc or do I have to manually input them every time?
Smart Lock is a Google feature so is not limited to Samsung but to answer your question I’m not aware of a similar feature on iPhone however I’m pretty new to it someone may be able to correct me.
Yes you can log your passwords with IOS and use FaceID to log into sites and apps. I really like it and it’s so much handier than fingerprints in my opinion.

Soldato
1Password, last pass etc are available on iPhone as well as applies built in ‘keychain’. If you use another non-Apple device I’d recommend using the likes of 1password and passwords will sync across all devices.

Back
Top Bottom