Hacked Steam Account

Associate
Hi

Three emails today telling me about a request to change my password from a TH website address, a verification code and confirmation that my password has been changed. I can't get back into my account. I have changed my email password, ran virus/malware scans and raised a Steam Support request. Anything else I need to do to make sure I'm secure and able to get back in?

Caporegime
He can't if the password has already been changed and he doesn't know what it is.

And clearly not otherwise it wouldn't have been hacked. :p

Hopefully Steam support get back to you soon. I think that is your best course of action.

Soldato
Does steam even let you have an account without MFA these days? Remember having to set it up years ago to use the community market.
not required outside the market (just need email 2fa) but see they add mobile 2fa. may use that too but dont want a auth app

Soldato
I use 2FA via email. And my password is very different for email and steam

it's actually quite useful to install a password generator, most of them also offer free breach checks by scanning dark web sites. So with a generator you only have to remember a single password ever and the software will notify you if any of your accounts were picked up in a breach

Soldato
You need to change every password on all accounts accessible via the Internet across the board.

As others have mentioned, MFA everything, use a password manager, so you can make your accounts passwords long and complex. You only need to remember the one password.

Soldato
Theres always one. I had to read the same **** when my Instagram account got hacked and later deleted. :rolleyes: :p

Tbf, it's not necessarily a d*ck comment. Hopefully many can learn from this and put in place the steps needed. Can you 2FA through a standard authenticator, or does it have to be the Steam app? I agree, I'd rather not have one app installed just for this.

Back
Top Bottom