Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Caporegime
Obviously there's a decent chance of upside if it gets back to 300p, and i do believe Cinema will return, streaming still won't replace the cinema appeal for me and i think it's a long way until Cinemas will end, and a lot have invested a lot in more premium seating as standard and it's quite pleasant at my local cinema especially.
cinemas are a dead business model like blockbuster, and soon game to me.

The last time I went to the cinema was I think 2017 or 2018, during the summer we went a few times to cineworld in Nottingham and it was always dead, not even 25% full (in the evening btw around 7-10)

BTw if your interested cinema attendance stats for the UK
https://www.cinemauk.org.uk/the-ind...-admissions-and-box-office/annual-admissions/
TLDR:
The table below shows trends in UK cinema admissions (millions) since 1935.
From an historic high immediately post-war of 1.64 billion in 1946, UK cinema admissions gradually declined to an all-time low of just 54 million in 1984.
Since that time, the advent of the multiplex, and record levels of investment in improving the theatrical experience (still ongoing), have seen admissions recover such that since 2000, they have remained (sometimes significantly so) above 150 million.

numbers have been 150m - 170m since 2000, it doesn't even grow with population, cinemas are too expensive for families.
Greed destroyed them

Last edited:
Associate
You can only pay into one S&S ISA per tax year so you won't be able to do that, assuming both are in ISAs which they should be. Vanguard's S&P500 fund will be no different to one on HL so you may as well just do both wth HL.

If I saw right I can open a "fund and shares" account that isn't a ISA on HL. But I might open it all in HL and spread into several different funds there under one ISA. Not sure if I can have several funds in one ISA but will keep reading more during work tonight.

Soldato
If I saw right I can open a "fund and shares" account that isn't a ISA on HL. But I might open it all in HL and spread into several different funds there under one ISA. Not sure if I can have several funds in one ISA but will keep reading more during work tonight.
You can have multiple funds in 1 ISA, yeah. I'd do that personally then you won't be paying CG on profits.

Soldato
SOLO seems like an even less practical Smart Car (quite some achievement)? Using Chinese factories, 'capable of producing up to 20,000 units annually. Valuation isn't completely ridiculous at the moment though. Might be worth a small punt for the long term, but worry is how are they going to get the volume to make decent returns?

Soldato
I dont see how CINE is a great idea, the answer to any question is this a good stock is if theres efficiency gained by that business now or in the future or how is it unique and required by the world. It tripled from the lows, its a gamble so recover the original capital when the gamble pays off.

Great for the FTSE if weak currency also means commodities rise though ultimately UK imports energy and its a rising cost for other business, there are knock on effects.

SOLO seems like an even less practical Smart Car
Toyota made an electric car years ago, all the big brands have the potential to provide at least some boring normal but high selling provision in this category to meet the changing world and emission laws. Kudos to people who understand why the heck TSLA would be especially more worthy, growing faster and with some advantageous leverage over all competitors to justify its future estimated valuation. Part of TSLA is the tax advantage they gain via government I think, so thats USA but does that work also for China and India who are the real target market for any car maker surely.

They money is all in bank accounts.

Sell bitcoin and the money moves from someone else's account to your account, the same is true for stock.

Stocks and FIAT are part of the fractional reserve system with leverage and monetary expansion its not defined exactly how much money exists in various forms but it expands and contracts as I understand it. BTC at least only has a set schedule and I think this explains partly why the price explodes upwards, almost any other commodity will see expansion in supply in response to higher prices but not BTC.

Im bullish on gold for example because its definitely got rising supply but it takes such a massive effort and time to go through a full cycle of operating an actual profitable mine; so on balance supply lags demand greatly.

Reminds me of the Sirus mine dilemma, it will be profitable massively at some point as surely as we need food grown its got a sellable product to retail but the giant costs to reaching that point made it untenable shorter term unfortunately. So anyway every commodity has some dynamic to it with costs invested vs demand, BTC is about security, personal capitalism vs centralism and the fall of the dollar standard global reserve system; which is an inevitable decline unless the whole politics spectrum alters its course away from fiscal deficits and its likely too late for that.

Soldato
I got burnt on Beyond Burgers badly before BUT i'm likely to go back in myself at the current price. Next quarters results can't be as bad as the last one.

Sounds like madness - doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.....:D:D

Of course it can be better, but by the same token, it can be worse.

Unless you see more than just results, I wouldn't go near it at this time....

Caporegime
Sounds like madness - doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.....:D:D

Did a bit of reading. Not sure if I'm going to go in either.
Competition is apparently hotting up, same as netflix's issue.

Decided its too high risk. Tbh, I didn't think the mkt cap was that high for beyond

For what little I had to play with after buying house I've done OK this year.
Ezj and Av are my only stocks.
Over 50 percent up over all. AV is a long term dividend buy

Soldato
SOLO seems like an even less practical Smart Car (quite some achievement)? Using Chinese factories, 'capable of producing up to 20,000 units annually. Valuation isn't completely ridiculous at the moment though. Might be worth a small punt for the long term, but worry is how are they going to get the volume to make decent returns?
I think they're aiming for electric delivery vehicles. Could prove big for the likes dominoes, etc.

I opened a position with them this month.

Associate

My own fault, took my eyes off the prize the day before quarterly reports as had too many investments spread too thinly. Bad results cost me. I was up on them by a nice chunk a week or 2 before. Lesson learnt.

Associate
@billysielu I've just opened a S&S with HL and added £200 into 2 different funds, one a Franklin Technology fund, the other one was a Legal & Global Technology fund that you linked earlier. Planning to maybe add 1-2 funds later in the month and put a minimum of £200 a month away in direct debits for savings/investments.

Soldato
cinemas are a dead business model like blockbuster, and soon game to me.

The last time I went to the cinema was I think 2017 or 2018, during the summer we went a few times to cineworld in Nottingham and it was always dead, not even 25% full (in the evening btw around 7-10)

BTw if your interested cinema attendance stats for the UK
https://www.cinemauk.org.uk/the-ind...-admissions-and-box-office/annual-admissions/
TLDR:

numbers have been 150m - 170m since 2000, it doesn't even grow with population, cinemas are too expensive for families.
Greed destroyed them

Couldn't agree more. I think if they are to survive it will be in the form of smaller niche venues and not at scale. There are a few in London, you pay a bit more but get an intimate venue with sofas, waitered bar and food etc. It's expensive but a nice treat and the sort of people who go tend to be proper film people are not selfish morons.

Soldato
Yeah I genuinely don't know why anyone would be gambling on cinemas making a huge comeback, especially laden with piles of new debt.

The experience at home is just superior now for an increasing number of people too.

We don't know yet the long term efficacy of the vaccines, or seasonal variants etc.

All downsides, no upsides from where I'm standing.

Soldato
Cinema isn't dead, but it certainly needs to change..

Remember when everyone said that TV would kill the radio, the internet would kill everything, nah, not gonna happen, but these "old" things need to change to keep up with the modern world, but die, nah...

Back
Top Bottom