Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Sorry for the long post, but I just HAD to look up my dissertation that I wrote in 2007. Fortunately the submission receipt copies the plain text into an email so I've got the final copy. Some bits make for funny/obvious reading lol. Netflix (as we know it) wasn't even a glimmer in our eyes. Neither was 4K evidently.

In this subchapter I will explore how I believe the film industry will have to change once again in order to stay ahead and offer a difference to the material produced by television.

Change in the home and in television
I believe this change, over the next 20 years, will be great. Thanks to the success of networks big-budget series such as 24, Lost and Heroes, the near future will see the continued production of series that match the budgets of that of a Hollywood blockbuster.

Households driven by the advancement in technology and the reducing price of this will also increasingly have the capabilities to watch media in high-definition quality with surround sound. I predict this will be in at least a quarter of households by 2010 - another double in the figure since 2006.

This will be realised to a greater extent than it is now by the television networks, and on-demand services will become commonplace whereby an extensive library of films are accessible instantly at a price cheaper than a single cinema ticket. I can also see films being released simultaneously or within a much smaller time frame to that of their worldwide cinema releases. Where now a film will premier on on-demand television after at least a month, I believe this gap will narrow to within a week in order to encourage their viewing by an audience who are happy with and even prefer staying within the comfort of their own home cinema. The increased content and reduced price of this on-demand service will also see a drop in DVD rentals which will become needless in comparison.

And it's not just on television but also through the internet that will have a huge impact on the way we view media. Networks such as the BBC and their iPlayer will increasingly allow their content to be viewed online, either free, by subscription or pay per view. This will allow content to be streamed directly to a home PC (and of an increased quality with the advancement in ISP cabling and speeds), and with the aid of media centres and home networking this will then also be able to be displayed directly to the living room television.

This impact on film and high-concept
The changes afore mentioned will have a roll on effect onto the film industry. People will be less inclined to go to the cinema for something that they can get at near the same quality and experience as the cinema and at a cheaper cost from their own living room sofa.

The current drive in having to go to the cinema to see a film on its release date will also decline. Television networks will grow larger and will have a greater force in determining how fast new releases reach the home. This will also be used as a strategy by the film distributors and production companies to counteract the loss in profits associated with internet piracy and the downloading of films before they reach television or DVD. This will give the person who downloads the odd film here and there more of a choice, and instead of having to wait weeks to get hold of an official copy, will much sooner have the chance to obtain a higher quality version than that which the pirate copies can offer and at a more reasonable price.

This though will drive down cinema admissions, and although this only acts today as 20% of a films total profit (Sedgwick 2005, p. 9), it is still a huge stake in this, especially when you consider how little of the remaining 80% would be made had the buyers not seen the film at the cinema originally. For example, a cinema ticket may cost just L5 - the consumer of this may then purchase the DVD at L10 and the video game at L30. While the cinema ticket only equates to just 9% of this total revenue, it was this that caused the consumer to buy the remaining 91%.

And it is here that film will see its biggest change - at the cinema. Film and its production methods will have to change in order to give cinema something new to offer over television. This has already begun with the limited introduction of IMAX cinemas and 3D screenings in standard cinemas, but these are nowhere near where they will be in 20 years in terms of widespread accessibility and admissions.

This change also has the ability to see a shift in the balance of power. Where now a cinema is provided numerous films by a distributor, through the importance of in-cinema technology, the power will sway to the cinema companies. It will be up to the cinemas themselves, rather than the film makers, how best to offer a visual and physical experience, and to what extent and quality this is offered. Because of this, I foresee the big production houses either buying out already established cinema chains or founding their own. This will allow them to make films specifically designed for the new cinema, and visa versa, with more power and more control over what kind and quality of experience the audience receives. This style of entertainment could be likened to the way in which theme park rides and experiences operate today.

Summary
The next 20 years will see a huge change in what cinema is and means compared to today. It will become much more of a pure entertainment industry rather than with a portion of classic-cinema.

The shift to home cinema dominance will give more power to the television networks and will see a shorten in the delay between a films cinema and home release, as well as a lapse in DVD sales.

The way in which film and high-concept can counteract this is to push forward technology and offer a simultaneous visual and physical experience from the cinema. This push though will sway the power of the film and its experience to the cinema chains, and this will see the production companies themselves having a large stake and control in this business though buyouts and newly founded chains.

Overall, what we think of as cinema today will very much be an experience that can be obtained at the home, and it's up the cinema to offer something that the home can't yet catch up with because of the power the audience has over the industry.

The production companies buying a cinema bit hasn't happened though, that I know of (yet).

FMF

FMF

Associate
. It's undeniable. The question is what will make the bubble burst? The cash seems to be endless.

I think COVID has contributed massively to this; US stimulus cheques, a lot of free time and people out of work.

I suspect when people can actually spend money on tangible things that we might see some sort of sell-off. It shows that people are investing in Elon over his actual company however.

Soldato
I suspect when people can actually spend money on tangible things that we might see some sort of sell-off. It shows that people are investing in Elon over his actual company however.

How does it show that? Any notable or respected individual can impact markets/products, whether it's an actor endorsing fake tan or a CEO alluding to another's success.

Caporegime
These chumps that don't even know what companies they're buying are going to fuel the mother of all corrections soon.
I saw one company the other day with a price/earnings of 500 lol...

under 50 is kinda "good" right now... :confused:

also you look at reddit, people trying to pump companies with decaying revenue and 300% debt like....

I've seen tickers with 120% on small caps that declared bankruptcy, half the pump and dumps look like they survive from share offerings alone.

ahh yea the most recent one that made me laugh was some company that's getting delisted if it doesn't hit 1usd /share.

I think they were currently 0.2usd.

they said they will do a reverses split if they have to, people are pumping it on reddit like the company is going to do some monumental share buy back :rolleyes:

btw if you don't know how to see if a small cap that barely makes a profit is surviving from share sales check the "financing"
What is Issuance (Retirement) of Stock, Net? Issuance (Retirement) of Stock, Net represents the net change in the carrying value of common and preferred stock. It is the sum of Sale of Common & Preferred Stock and Repurchase of Common & Preferred Stock.
positive number is obviously when they sell shares, negative number is if a company bought back shares.

share buy backs = good, share offerings mostly bad unless the company specifically gives the reasons why it needs to raise capital.
I'd hope OCUK folk take things a bit more seriously and know what all the finances mean though, also I hope you google tickers to know what your buying :p

#signal to the moon if elon buys a share and sends the physical certificate there :D

Last edited:
Soldato
How does it show that? Any notable or respected individual can impact markets/products, whether it's an actor endorsing fake tan or a CEO alluding to another's success.

I think it's more that people don't realise there's a separation between Tesla and Elon Musk, you see a lot of comments (even in here), about SpaceX and his other projects as if they're linked to Tesla and by investing in Tesla, people believe they're also going to benefit from success in his other projects.

FMF

FMF

Associate

If Elon was not in Tesla the Market cap would not be 700bn, I think that's a very fair assumption. Nothing on their financials support such a value.

Soldato
I think it's more that people don't realise there's a separation between Tesla and Elon Musk, you see a lot of comments (even in here), about SpaceX and his other projects as if they're linked to Tesla and by investing in Tesla, people believe they're also going to benefit from success in his other projects.

What's that got to do with Signal?

If Elon was not in Tesla the Market cap would not be 700bn, I think that's a very fair assumption. Nothing on their financials support such a value.

Arguiably, if <insert CEO here> was not in <insert company here> the share price/market cap would not be what it is. Not to such an extreme, sure, but certainly within the tech sector, and CEO appointments/resignations can affect share prices wildly. You think if Warren Buffet dies then the share price of Berkshire Hathaway won't fluctuate?

I'm not getting into another weekly general Tesla argument/discussion because it's dull and repetitive.

Caporegime
I think Elon musk tweeting about signal shows people invest in him /his recommendations

I doubt any other CEO could tweet about an app and see a share price of an unrelated company go up 1200%

Soldato
Sorry for the completely naive question, but is there an app on Android that would be a good way to start out with stocks and shares, but only investing small amounts, say under £100 a month or less? Just something simple to setup and easy to use?

Soldato
I think Elon musk tweeting about signal shows people invest in him /his recommendations

I doubt any other CEO could tweet about an app and see a share price of an unrelated company go up 1200%

Also, the internet and reddit trading meme subreddits have reached a critical mass now where they're able to move the market....

Soldato
Sorry for the completely naive question, but is there an app on Android that would be a good way to start out with stocks and shares, but only investing small amounts, say under £100 a month or less? Just something simple to setup and easy to use?
Out of interest, why does it need to be an App? Surely something with great fees is better than something that looks sexy?

Soldato
Out of interest, why does it need to be an App? Surely something with great fees is better than something that looks sexy?

Purely for convenience. I have a laptop at home, but I'd find it easier to just use my phone.

Any recommendations other than 212? I've just downloaded it and playing with the virtual money at the moment.

I am completely new to this, I honestly don't know the first thing about stocks and shares, but keen to learn.

Caporegime
Also, the internet and reddit trading meme subreddits have reached a critical mass now where they're able to move the market....
there's a ton of discords for pumping penny stocks apparently, I'm going to assume they are mostly set up by instagram/twitter/youtubers

on reddit you will notice a trend, people posting pump and dump only after the initial pump when they are wanting to cash out and get some chumps in

Back
Top Bottom