Gigabyte G34WQC - 1440p ultrawide

Associate
Dead pixel has appeared on mine several months after purchase - and now I'm having some mad issues with horrible electrical cracking sounds and wierd digital interference on screen if I use displayport and refresh rate is high - with HDMI (and thus limited to 100Hz in my case) this goes away. Am testing further with new DP cable when it arrives today...

Associate
As I placed my preorder in early Jan I'm guessing I'm not going to be seeing one until at least late Feb?

Considering just cancelling my order and switching to something else - the non-curved Iiyama 34" IPS looks to be the best alternative, not to mention cheaper!
What are others in this situation doing?

Associate
As I placed my preorder in early Jan I'm guessing I'm not going to be seeing one until at least late Feb?

Considering just cancelling my order and switching to something else - the non-curved Iiyama 34" IPS looks to be the best alternative, not to mention cheaper!
What are others in this situation doing?
Depends on how desperate you need a monitor , I was looking for a new monitor and the g34wqc was on my list but i might have to wait sometime before there in stock, i am not in a rush because i already have a monitor that will do for now, Same problem with the GPUs that i wanted there out of stock . I think the Iiyama 34 is a close match or even the curved Iiyama 34"

Associate
Got this monitor and so far so good with an RX 6800.
There is only one issue - whenever I disable HDR in Win, the monitor picture settings reverse to stock (the brightness revers to 64 instead of the value I choose)
Any suggestions?

Associate
Anyone getting flicker with this screen when i use photoshop i get screen flicker it's related to free sync/ G sync when i disable it flickers gone. I seen Samsung monitors had this problem and they released a firmware update ,,,,, Gigabyte has not.

Associate
Anyone getting flicker with this screen when i use photoshop i get screen flicker it's related to free sync/ G sync when i disable it flickers gone. I seen Samsung monitors had this problem and they released a firmware update ,,,,, Gigabyte has not.
I actually read somewhere that this monitor is no longer G-Sync rated due to the constant flickering..

Associate
Just thought I would let you all know I ordered mine yesterday.( Pre order eta the 4th.)

This evening I got a email saying it had shipped with dpd tracking.

Web site still says pre order eta 4th.

So they have some

Associate
I've been eyeing this monitor, coming from an ASUS VG249Q (24", IPS, 144hz), I don't game anymore but want the real estate for work (coding etc) and browsing. Is text legibility and black smearing (when browsing dark mode etc) distracting? I need over 100hz even though I don't game as I can't handle 60hz at all, it's absolutely distracting to me.

Associate
As far as text rendering goes I haven't had any issues with it and I sit about 2 feet away from the display. It, to my eyes at least, is on par with the old LG34GK950F that I had. Odd thing that happened today though is that I turned it off, came back an hour later - nothing. Swapped the cable to known working - nothing. Unplugged it for a minute, nothing. Unplugged and left it for 30 minutes and tried again - turned back on. No idea what happened, and wondering if anyone has had this issue also. Not a great result 10 days in :( Makes me want to spring for a more expensive UW, but those black levels for gaming in the dark are a welcome addition to my setup that I don't really want to lose :(

EDIT: I discovered the issue - my work Mac. I narrowed it down to a specific issue with certain Macs going to sleep and messing with the display. Since getting a new work machine it was never a problem - hopefully this helps someone!

Last edited:
Associate
hi there i got the same problem does anyone found the fix?? im talking to gigabyte there so hopefully they can help out. i done the CRU thing not fixing it, and it is max just 100hz...

if anyone can help it'll be great please :D

Associate
So the max 100Hz is likely the cable/dongle you're using. I found that using a USBC/Thunderbolt straight to displayport will get the full 144Hz out of the monitor. If I use an adapter with HDMI + HDMI cable, it doesn't do more than 100Hz. Likely a hardware limitation with the resolution of the display + cable type used though I'm not completely aware of the specifics there.

As far as you mentioning "same problem" do you mean what I'd said above? To get it to come back on, disconnect absolutely everything including power from the monitor and give it a minute or so and it should come on fine.

In terms of moving forward, what I did was disable any kind of power saving on the monitor and the Mac. If I recall, as long as I was the one to specifically turn the monitor off and the Mac didn't let itself go to sleep, it would always turn back on.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the exact same behaviour was replicated on an entirely different ultrawide, so assuming you're on a Mac, it's almost certainly the Mac that is the issue, not the display.

Associate
So the max 100Hz is likely the cable/dongle you're using. I found that using a USBC/Thunderbolt straight to displayport will get the full 144Hz out of the monitor. If I use an adapter with HDMI + HDMI cable, it doesn't do more than 100Hz. Likely a hardware limitation with the resolution of the display + cable type used though I'm not completely aware of the specifics there.

As far as you mentioning "same problem" do you mean what I'd said above? To get it to come back on, disconnect absolutely everything including power from the monitor and give it a minute or so and it should come on fine.

In terms of moving forward, what I did was disable any kind of power saving on the monitor and the Mac. If I recall, as long as I was the one to specifically turn the monitor off and the Mac didn't let itself go to sleep, it would always turn back on.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the exact same behaviour was replicated on an entirely different ultrawide, so assuming you're on a Mac, it's almost certainly the Mac that is the issue, not the display.
Hi thank you for reply. I’m using display port to display port. The screen having the “same problem” is flicking or flashing I would say?? It is quite bad really. I will upload the video to YouTube then paste the link in here.

It is very bad no joke like starting to hurts my eyes

Associate
Ahh I see your issue, you're referring to something else that was talked about in this thread. When you said "same problem" it seemed like you were following on with the last thing I'd said. That's not a problem I had with that monitor when I had it, so hopefully someone else will see it and be able to offer a solution for you.

Associate
Ahh I see your issue, you're referring to something else that was talked about in this thread. When you said "same problem" it seemed like you were following on with the last thing I'd said. That's not a problem I had with that monitor when I had it, so hopefully someone else will see it and be able to offer a solution for you.
Thank you so much for your help then

Associate
Anyone notice the crap rendering of text, in particular small text?
Yes. Got mine plugged in to a zephyrus g15 using DP. It's disgusting looking, the laptops screen is not even comparable how much better it is.

I've disabled, re-enabled cleartype. Changed ports, changed sharpening value (monitor OSD). It just absolutely sucks at rendering text.

Back
Top Bottom