• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Good things come to those who wait...

Associate
Almost 4 months ago on 17th September, I ordered the new 3080 MSI TrioX , then the whole gaming world imploded due to the cards shortage, lists were formed, accusations were thrown around, threats to go to other online shops ,,etc. It was really a typical manifestation of our society - I want it now, yesterday if possible especially that I have paid for it ...
I was glad to be in a queue .... any queues, some were luckier and got their product early, from competitors or from the various stock alert bots from Twitter/ discord / telegram..etc but in order to do this one need to have a job that is compatible with having a mobile all the time, access to computer/ net/ good 4G at least and also to be allowed by the employer to do this in the work time .. I am in a profession that can not do this, as a doctor, it would be really weird to stop everything - surgery/ clinic/ meeting - and go online at short notice on alerts, patients may not like this.
For me and some of my colleagues interested in gaming, being in a queue was the only real option of getting a card, this is why I am quite grateful to the Overclockers for their system and bonus a free upgrade MSI 3080 SUPRIM which I received this morning

Associate
Almost 4 months ago on 17th September, I ordered the new 3080 MSI TrioX , then the whole gaming world imploded due to the cards shortage, lists were formed, accusations were thrown around, threats to go to other online shops ,,etc. It was really a typical manifestation of our society - I want it now, yesterday if possible especially that I have paid for it ...
I was glad to be in a queue .... any queues, some were luckier and got their product early, from competitors or from the various stock alert bots from Twitter/ discord / telegram..etc but in order to do this one need to have a job that is compatible with having a mobile all the time, access to computer/ net/ good 4G at least and also to be allowed by the employer to do this in the work time .. I am in a profession that can not do this, as a doctor, it would be really weird to stop everything - surgery/ clinic/ meeting - and go online at short notice on alerts, patients may not like this.
For me and some of my colleagues interested in gaming, being in a queue was the only real option of getting a card, this is why I am quite grateful to the Overclockers for their system and bonus a free upgrade MSI 3080 SUPRIM which I received this morning

Congrats man!

*grits teeth with jealousy*

Caporegime
Wow congrats on getting something you paid for 3 months ago.:rolleyes:
At least he hasn't had to mash F5 for the last three months, and have his phone next to his pillow waiting on Discord alerts.

Being in a queue and being able to forget about it is probably preferable tbh (depending on the product you want - I'm after the frankly mythical 6800XT).

Also with the benefit of hindsight, prices now seem to be worse than prices back then. The 6800XTs are going for £900+ sometimes. I've seen 6800s going for close to £800.

The whole thing is mental and I don't expect to buy anything soon, because even if it's available it'll be £300 over RRP.

Associate
The OP and the above post pretty much echo my thoughts and sentiments exactly and like the OP, I have also today received a Suprim X as a free upgrade from Overclockers from the MSI Gaming X Trio I ordered. It's been a long wait and I really feel for those who are going to be waiting even more months before they get their card.

Soldato
Congratulations and I hope you enjoy, but it makes me wonder how much money companies like OcUK were sitting on from people for 2-3 months while having zero stock and giving nothing in return. 2000 pre-orders at £700 a pop is £1.4million in the bank (rough numbers) would be a nice fund to be able to sit on.

Soldato
It was really a typical manifestation of our society - I want it now, yesterday if possible especially that I have paid for it ...

It's a poor reflection on society that people want products that they have paid for?

Whatever next...

:D

Soldato
Looking at the prices today, I'd be bloomin delighted to be in a queue knowing I've paid and fixed at the release price.
After reading all the bitching posts from the past few months, aimed at ocuk, and the purchasing model they've gone with, I wonder how many are now grateful for being locked in at that early price?

Especially as AMD didn't come to the rescue, with even less stock and faster inflated prices etc.

Associate
OP
thanks, guys, it is really a great card, good luck to everyone still waiting

It was really a typical manifestation of our society - I want it now, yesterday if possible especially that I have paid for it ...

It's a poor reflection on society that people want products that they have paid for?

Whatever next...
next would be patience ... it is a card not a loaf of bread

Soldato
thanks, guys, it is really a great card, good luck to everyone still waiting

next would be patience ... it is a card not a loaf of bread

So what? people should happily hand over money, upwards of a 1K in some cases, and just wait for months on end for it to arrive? If they're queuing and money is taken only when the order can be fulfilled then that's different. Do you think retailers would hand over cards and let people pay for it when they felt like it? (without a credit agreement in place)...

People have completely lost sight of what an equitable transaction is.

Soldato
^^ this, also if the company went under kiss goodbye to your money :o

If they can't give you a reasonable ETA then they shouldn't take your money, it's not as if retailers would lose out if YOU decided not buy the card when it came into stock...but no, they want to hold your money hostage for months on end, and you have to hope they get some stock in at some indeterminate point in time...

It's BS.

Soldato
They shouldn't be sitting on people's money the way they have. Very shady practice and surprised so many people are happy with it, but it's their money I guess.

There's this thing called a "deposit" that is used in situations like these.

Soldato
They shouldn't be sitting on people's money the way they have. Very shady practice and surprised so many people are happy with it, but it's their money I guess.

There's this thing called a "deposit" that is used in situations like these.

Or the way another big retailer does it and takes the money when the item is dispatched. I have no clue why someone would let a company sit on anything up to £1500 of their money for nothing in return for months.

Associate
OP
So what? people should happily hand over money, upwards of a 1K in some cases, and just wait for months on end for it to arrive? If they're queuing and money is taken only when the order can be fulfilled then that's different. Do you think retailers would hand over cards and let people pay for it when they felt like it? (without a credit agreement in place)...

People have completely lost sight of what an equitable transaction is.

Why so angry and upset? You do know OC offered the options to withdraw the money at any time, it does come with the disadvantage of losing your place in the queue, but at least it gives you the opportunity to be in control of your money and choose the right retailer for you. I agree the risk here was the company filing for bankruptcy, then there was the risk of losing the money but considering current demand for computers in general the risk is minimal.
Again consumers in my opinion hold all the cards they can vote with their money so to speak

Back
Top Bottom