Ivy & Vine removal

Associate
Hi guys,

I’m looking to DIY create more space in my garden and clean it up with some fresh artificial grass (personal preference), but I’m unsure where to even start with the surrounding walls and weeds.

ivy is out of control, I’ve literally just cut it out from inside the shed.

Also what I believe from google the Maidenhair vine (creeping wire vine) is currently dormant but it’s a mess and rooted into the ground.

Could anyone offer any advice please on how to completely eradicate kill and remove all this rough?

Glyphosate 36 seems a popular choice but I’m unsure what the better brand product is to choose (Rosate, Gallup or Monsanto). Also how to tackle the vine roots from the ground so that nothing starts creeping back in.

Currently January and average 3 degrees in Scotland, I’m more than happy to get busy outside but whether this is the best time of year ton start the project is a good question. For example, should I manually cut out and dig as much as possible now and then spray now or at a later date?

Thank you in advance

Soldato
Buy yourself a strong mattock and smash the pasty pants out of those roots!!!

that’ll perish all of them plants
Attacking the roots is crucial

Associate
We had a massive wall completely covered with ivy and tackled it by cutting back the growth first of all, without pulling(in case roots pull wall away as well). Then cut any roots at the base. You will be left with a skeleton of branches that are attached top the wall. After several weeks the ivy should have died and the branches dried up. Carefully prise them away from the wall. Job done.

For your area it will not be too much of an arduous job. We didn't need to spray as the act of cutting the roots out seemed to do the job. That was in Scotland as well, in Angus. The future will be just checking for new growth every so often and you can spray then if needed.

Tea Drinker
Don
Why kill it? Trim your bush, bit of ivyscaping and it’ll look lovely.

Or look at a blank wall that’s clearly been stained with years of ivy growth.

If the roots are a problem you can cut them back just as much as cutting back the above ground. Install a root protector around it.

Soldato
Removing lovely vegetation, replacing with artificial grass, swings / climbing frames, kicking balls against the wall, and new fences so you can flout the rules. Bet your neighbours are going to love you.

Which corner sofa did you go for?

Associate
OP
Removing lovely vegetation, replacing with artificial grass, swings / climbing frames, kicking balls against the wall, and new fences so you can flout the rules. Bet your neighbours are going to love you.

Which corner sofa did you go for?

I won’t be flouting any rules and haven’t do so either for the past year.

I only made a sarcastic joke about a fence based only on the context that a 3ft wall is not very private. Nor safe.

Sorry if I triggered you through my personal choices to do what’s best suited to us.

Thanks for the judgment and contribution.

Ps. The sofa is a big leather lazy boy. It’s great.

End Thread

Soldato
Why kill it? Trim your bush, bit of ivyscaping and it’ll look lovely.

Or look at a blank wall that’s clearly been stained with years of ivy growth.

If the roots are a problem you can cut them back just as much as cutting back the above ground. Install a root protector around it.

I was going to say you're gong to be looking at a lot of very boring brick walls with a square of artificial turf? Trim with a hedgecutter once a year so many green spaces destroyed these days.

Back
Top Bottom