iPhone XR very quiet in loudspeaker?

Caporegime
Just upgraded my phone to an XR and everything is great,a vast improvement over my old 6S except the volume on loudspeaker is very quiet, so much so you need to move the phone close to you to hear it on loudspeaker.

Using the phone normally i.e. holding the phone to my ear on a normal call the volume level is fine and clear to listen to.

Any suggestions? It’s got me stumped. :o

Soldato
Yes, tried all the audio settings - I’m fairly proficient with iPhones, this is my 6th one now - just seems very quiet on speaker yet fine when using it as a phone to my ear if you see what I mean. :)

Yeah I get you, just wanted to double check as easily missed :p

I'm not entirely sure what the issue might be in which case - I've had the XS Max and now 12 Pro Max and don't have any issues.

My father has the XR and hasn't ever complained.

Try a chat with Apple support - they'll be able to run diagnostics on it :)

Man of Honour
These were renowned for audio IC issues. Of the around 100 we had at work we had audio issues on more than 10%. They normally kill the audio for the internal speaker which goes into a barely audible state. There is a class action on the 7, they used a different IC on the 8 as far as I know then put the same sketchy IC they were using in the 7 in the XR, but not the X or XS :(

You were lucky yours came with the fault, we had a few delivered with audio issues but they really started falling off after around 10 months.

Soldato
I've had phones come to me in the past which only needed a good scrub with a tooth brush to fix. Its amazing what little it takes to dull the speaker.

Man of Honour
I've had phones come to me in the past which only needed a good scrub with a tooth brush to fix. Its amazing what little it takes to dull the speaker.

Common one is makeup building up and getting stuck in the grill :) I saw a lot of that. Disgusting to clean out.

Caporegime
OP
Gave it a blast with compressed air at work this morning, didn’t make any difference alas.

Common one is makeup building up and getting stuck in the grill :) I saw a lot of that. Disgusting to clean out.

I don’t wear make up :p :D

Soldato
These were renowned for audio IC issues. Of the around 100 we had at work we had audio issues on more than 10%. They normally kill the audio for the internal speaker which goes into a barely audible state. There is a class action on the 7, they used a different IC on the 8 as far as I know then put the same sketchy IC they were using in the 7 in the XR, but not the X or XS :(

You were lucky yours came with the fault, we had a few delivered with audio issues but they really started falling off after around 10 months.
Not true at all.
The Audio IC in the 7 series didn’t fail but rather lost connection to the board which while not always the case can be caused by repeated impacts.
I can promise you out of the thousands of phones I’ve seen the XR wasn’t disproportionately effected by any issue

Man of Honour
Not true at all.
The Audio IC in the 7 series didn’t fail but rather lost connection to the board which while not always the case can be caused by repeated impacts.
I can promise you out of the thousands of phones I’ve seen the XR wasn’t disproportionately effected by any issue

Could have just been a shoddy batch that we got, I dont know what the problem for us was but we certainly saw more xr failures than we did any other handset before. Luck of the draw or whatever it was, i am always happy to stand corrected:)

Soldato
Could have just been a shoddy batch that we got, I dont know what the problem for us was but we certainly saw more xr failures than we did any other handset before. Luck of the draw or whatever it was, i am always happy to stand corrected:)
Most quiet receivers are gunked up with rubbish. Especially work phones - really super common. Even so bad internally they couldn’t be cleaned from outside

Back
Top Bottom