• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10900k vs 5950x overclocked for gaming

Associate
https://kingfaris.co.uk/cpu/battle

I've known Faris for a couple of years and he's always very thoughtful in his testing and just sticks to the facts. Unlike mainstream viewers, he'll also list all his timings and the performance he was getting out of the platform for testing so you can directly compare your setup vs his.

Please note all the setups here are stress tested for daily stability. Only on an AIO thus no 'high end' cooling.

Soldato
I'd have used the same psu for both as one has a 1000w titanium while the other has a crappy 750w TX gold which I'm not sure I would want to run a 3090 strix off especially with a PBOd 5950X.

Soldato
Crazy price difference with 10850k around at £370 mark and 5950X at £860?

Not when its twice as fast in productivity?
Given that any CPU above a 5600x will happily play all of these games at frantic frame rates, the comparisons don't overly mean much, even a 10600k can do this happily.
Its also using a £450 mobo against ryzen on a £200 motherboard.
So the rice comparison pales somewhat.

Soldato

Just realised you are not even quoting the price of the chip that was used in the testing.
At 5.4Ghz!!!
I'd love to know what his power consumption actually was.
OcUK sell the 850k at £400, and the 900k at £500. Add to that the £250 extra for the mobo, and there's only about £100 of difference in the two systems.
Which is more than negated by the additional cost of the higher rated PSU also.
Oddly the chaps test benches are probably in and around the same total cost, which might have been an unseen but potentially beneficial component of his testing.

Soldato
Just realised you are not even quoting the price of the chip that was used in the testing.
At 5.4Ghz!!!
I'd love to know what his power consumption actually was.
OcUK sell the 850k at £400, and the 900k at £500. Add to that the £250 extra for the mobo, and there's only about £100 of difference in the two systems.
Which is more than negated by the additional cost of the higher rated PSU also.
Oddly the chaps test benches are probably in and around the same total cost, which might have been an unseen but potentially beneficial component of his testing.
Yeah, noted and I can't get mine to 5.4 maybe 900k's are binned better? Most i have seen with mine is 225W at 5.2, keeps the frost away from my top floor gaming room at least ;)

Soldato
I doubt you will see much perf increase going from 5.2 to 5.4 as its rather unlikely you game at low settings 720p.
In real world the difference will likely be less than a frame, and saving a massive power wastage increase.

Caporegime

You wouldn't use a 5950X for gaming, 5800X is or even 5600X is just as good if not better. The best one is the 5800X.

Couple of things about this 'review? You may notice the difference between Stock and PBO on these charts is nothing to marginal, Just enabling PBO does little or nothing, all it does is set higher power limits and most motherboard are feeding the CPU plenty out of the box, to overclock Zen 3 you add (insert Mhz here) to the boost and play with the curve optimiser, usually setting negative 10, 15 or 20 and the CPU will run 5Ghz + on all cores in games.

Its what i did, Negative 15, +200Mhz boost and boom..... 5.05Ghz all cores, its so simple, i don't know why these 'apparent? Tech reviewers still haven't learned how to do that.

And 5.4Ghz? either that is a very 'cherrypicked' sample or he's ramming a ton of volts into it, the kind of volts no one in their right mind would run 24/7.

Associate
OP
You wouldn't use a 5950X for gaming, 5800X is or even 5600X is just as good if not better. The best one is the 5800X.

Couple of things about this 'review? You may notice the difference between Stock and PBO on these charts is nothing to marginal, Just enabling PBO does little or nothing, all it does is set higher power limits and most motherboard are feeding the CPU plenty out of the box, to overclock Zen 3 you add (insert Mhz here) to the boost and play with the curve optimiser, usually setting negative 10, 15 or 20 and the CPU will run 5Ghz + on all cores in games.

Its what i did, Negative 15, +200Mhz boost and boom..... 5.05Ghz all cores, its so simple, i don't know why these 'apparent? Tech reviewers still haven't learned how to do that.

And 5.4Ghz? either that is a very 'cherrypicked' sample or he's ramming a ton of volts into it, the kind of volts no one in their right mind would run 24/7.

It's in the review: This profile is a 5950X running with PBO2, FMax at +150MHz, PPT/TDC/EDC at 270/190/190, and a stable all-core negative offset of 14. The RAM is overclocked to 3733MHz C14.

Along with all his timings, aida, what it boosted to etc.

Soldato
This “test” is nothing but a sham. LOL

nothing in the test has been equalised other than the GPU.

we all know from 3200Mhz to 38000MHz ryzen 3 enjoys a decent performance boost and intel doesn’t really benefit much.

anyway people can spin tests which ever way they like. I am sure there are plenty people out there using £30 air cooler on 10900k under volted to bench it against a ryzen...(not).

Caporegime
Meh... i just think its a shame they always seem to plum for the 5950X in "gaming Reviews", that's an expensive CPU, it has 16 cores and 32 threads, its horrendous overkill for games and pretending its a gaming CPU in reviews like this sends completely the wrong message, you wouldn't use anything higher end than the 5800X for gaming.

Caporegime
Also...

At 1080p High when games are more graphically bound, the 10900K wins in more titles as the 5950X struggles to keep the large game data in its cache

No both CPU's are just more capable of driving the GPU at this resolution, you were right with the first sentence and then said something completely idiotic.

Part of the 5950X's excellent performance at 720p Low is because of its 32MB cache, allowing it to balance against the relatively slow memory latency.

Good Grief, for one its 64MB of L3, not 32MB, you've just contradicted yourself, it can't both struggle to keep data in cache and at the same time benefit from a large Cache pool, Zen 3 doesn't suffer from "Latency" you're confusing it with Zen 1 and 2, Zen 3 doesn't have a CCX, its a unified CCD, there is no intercore latency. it has a large cache because it has a crap load of cores, the 5800X only has 32MB, with 8 cores its all it needs.

Zen 3 has a 30% higher IPC, that only comes into its own when the GPU is taken out of the equation completely, like in low GPU demand games, E-Sports. Its also the real reason it does much better at 720P than 1080P. The GPU is less the bottleneck.

CS:GO

1vvulpu.png

Last edited:
Associate

Easy to claim it's easy when you've done well in the silicon lottery

I can't even all core Negative 10 with +100Mhz on my 5800x and keep it stable for more than a few hours at low/bursty loads.

Caporegime
Easy to claim it's easy when you've done well in the silicon lottery

I can't even all core Negative 10 with +100Mhz on my 5800x and keep it stable for more than a few hours at low/bursty loads.

Would make a change for me, i couldn't get the 4690K over 4.5Ghz 24/7, the 1600 3.9Ghz, the 3600 4Ghz and i have seen plenty at 4.4Ghz, i will admit tho this 5800X clocks nice, its about time my luck changed :)

Associate
Would make a change for me, i couldn't get the 4690K over 4.5Ghz 24/7, the 1600 3.9Ghz, the 3600 4Ghz and i have seen plenty at 4.4Ghz, i will admit tho this 5800X clocks nice, its about time my luck changed :)

We’ve had a very similar cpu journey! My 4690k was crap too, I had a 3600 after that but I didn’t bother doing anything other than PBO in Ryzen master - I didn’t even benchmark it.

Soldato

Latest Hitman 3 game loves Zen 3 and scales well with each model up

Back
Top Bottom