One of those fancy routers that have 2-3 connected?

Soldato
I have broadband via Vodafone 68mbps or so through my phone line. I’m pretty clued up on PC’s but have very little network knowledge. When I try to connect another router to the one provided by Vodafone to setup a system to cover my whole house with wifi it works for a while then it stops. I would like an all in one easy solution to resolve this problem. Price is no issue but I’d rather have bang for buck than the top stuff because quite frankly I won’t use it considering I found 36mbps enough and only upgrade to 68mbps due to small monthly increase in price.

What can you guys recommend? I only need two routers and I’ve run a cat5 cable along the walls so can connect them both together.

I’d prefer WiFi devices to auto switch between the two point it would be good if it’s under one WiFi name or two (say 2ghz and 5ghz)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Associate
Get two asus routers whereby the mesh features can be implemented over wifi.
Another option would be buy a draytek router and get their latest access points which also offer mesh options

Soldato
Get two asus routers whereby the mesh features can be implemented over wifi.
Another option would be buy a draytek router and get their latest access points which also offer mesh options

Suggesting someone buy one ASUS router isn’t generally a good idea, to suggest they buy two is just plain nasty.

Op - what is the second router? Does it support AP mode or disabling DHCP etc? Any reason you haven’t just gone with either an AP installed centrally as you seem to have a budget and even new, an AC-Lite is cheap.

Soldato
OP
Yes a mesh system I’ve seen google do one that is what I’m after really but just curious if there are any better options.

Op - what is the second router? Does it support AP mode or disabling DHCP etc? Any reason you haven’t just gone with either an AP installed centrally as you seem to have a budget and even new, an AC-Lite is cheap.

I don’t know anything about networking at all I followed a guide online to get it to work I remember something about DHCP and it worked for a bit then stopped... my old router is a Tp-link archer D9 and the Vodafone one is just the big standard one they provide - I feel the problem is probably with the Vodafone router.

Soldato
OP
Thank you so in short the Vodafone router leave as is and set the TP-Link in access point mode and connect to Vodafone router via Ethernet cable?

Soldato
OP
Just thought id give an update. Bought a TP-Link mesh system 3 mesh devices easy to setup for under £100 for easy of use and getting full speed id highly recommend this.

Soldato
Just thought id give an update. Bought a TP-Link mesh system 3 mesh devices easy to setup for under £100 for easy of use and getting full speed id highly recommend this.

When you say you're getting full speed what exactly do you mean? The full speed of your internet connection or the full speed of your wireless clients?

Soldato
OP
When you say you're getting full speed what exactly do you mean? The full speed of your internet connection or the full speed of your wireless clients?
I have 63mbps internet and getting that full speed at all locations - I doubt I could get max speed say if I had a fast virgin connection but having checked out reviews online if not spread out too much and use enough seperate mesh points I think they can provide roughly 200mb/s.

Soldato
I have 63mbps internet and getting that full speed at all locations - I doubt I could get max speed say if I had a fast virgin connection but having checked out reviews online if not spread out too much and use enough seperate mesh points I think they can provide roughly 200mb/s.

Thanks for clarifying that. So that would indeed appear to be a good solution for the OP given their requirements.

Back
Top Bottom