SFX PSU & 3090??

Associate
hello,

any recommendation on a SFX PSU for a 3090 that will likely be overclocked along with a i9 cpu?

(3090 to be acquired whenever that happens lol)

I know they are hard to come by at the min but no rush as currently on a ATX one until I can source one for the 011 mini that's sat to one side for now

D4N

D4N

Associate
I cut my 011 mini to fit a full sized psu where the side mount is. There are some pictures in my project log if you want to see. It’s still a work in progress at the minute though.

Associate
OP
I cut my 011 mini to fit a full sized psu where the side mount is. There are some pictures in my project log if you want to see. It’s still a work in progress at the minute though.

I actually see this earlier today, really like what you're doing so far. did make me consider something similar. that way I can keep my 1000w evga unit. only thing that's kinda stopping me is I wanted to put a radiator there.

D4N

D4N

Associate
I actually see this earlier today, really like what you're doing so far. did make me consider something similar. that way I can keep my 1000w evga unit. only thing that's kinda stopping me is I wanted to put a radiator there.

I’m planning on putting a 360mm in the bottom in mine. It’s stuck in Germany at the minute, so I can’t try it in. I think I can make it work.

Soldato
Silverstone are a long established supplier of SFX PSU's. It's a Tier B single rail PSU so its OK, I myself would be sceptical powering your spec with it when gaming or at full load for extended periods of time.It doesnt fit all Mini Itx cases either according to anandtech.
They also have a 1000w on their site but its new to market, I dont think there are any reviews of it yet either

Corsair 750w would be better but it's getting one.

Seasonic only go up to 650w & so do bequiet.

Coolermaster go up to 850w but again its getting one.

Somehow I don't think the above makers had their SFX psu's powering an i9 & a 3090 in mind when they were designing them.

Last edited:
Soldato
had the silverstone 700w unit, had coil while and swapped it for the corsair 750w SF unit. Could have gone 800w silverstone and would have been cheaper as I had custom sleeved cables inc 12pin Nvidia on hand, but doing homework on the ripple etc Corsair Unit was my choice.

Anyways no issues with a 3090FE, so 400w limit and a 9900k. Also RGB, pump etc on SF750w unit. for HTPC build. Works a dream. In most games, even if your 3090FE is say 400w, your 9900k will not be fully maxed, usually 100w-125w overclocked. Add in other bits and in most cases under load both bits OC'd likely see

Associate
OP
Silverstone are a long established supplier of SFX PSU's. It's a Tier B single rail PSU so its OK, I myself would be sceptical powering your spec with it when gaming or at full load for extended periods of time.It doesnt fit all Mini Itx cases either according to anandtech.
They also have a 1000w on their site but its new to market, I dont think there are any reviews of it yet either

Corsair 750w would be better but it's getting one.

Seasonic only go up to 650w & so do bequiet.

Coolermaster go up to 850w but again its getting one.

Somehow I don't think the above makers had their SFX psu's powering an i9 & a 3090 in mind when they were designing them.

where did you find this tier B info from? all have found so far on the Silverstone sfx800w is its 80 plus titainum?

Soldato
where did you find this tier B info from? all have found so far on the Silverstone sfx800w is its 80 plus titainum?

Titanium is just one measure of a efficiency which is important, but there are a bunch of other important factors, regulation, protection, ability to handle ripple etc. Though not sure what the tier list is, but assume that is the reason.

The Corsair SF750 unit, does the latter bits very well. Its why I jumped from the 700w silverstone to the SF750w unit as the formers ability in other areas from reviews looks better and I was trying to get rid of coil whine with the 3090 which you want as low ripple as possible. went through dozen of reviews as no single one compares them side by side. The 700w Silverstone unit in itself had no issues powering my 9900k + 3090FE when looking at power from the wall draw but the coil whine did hence looking at the units in more detail. The 800w unit looks to be slightly beefed up vs the 700w but does lag the corsair in areas mentioned above.

In normal use so gaming, with my 3090 pulling 400w, the CPU will only pull about 60w-125w or so depending on game (rarely maxed on CPU), and rest of the system around 50w or so. In effect will not really go above 600w or usually 550w use all that often when gaming. Only time you may is if your 3090 model has a higher power target BIOS and your stress testing it + a lot of voltage on the CPU and stress testing that with say an AVX load at the same time. The 3090 can have heavy spikes now and then which catch's lesser PSU's out, but non-issue for either of these units. TLDR, would not really worry about either unit, they will be fine, but given factors I have seen aside from efficiency and how coil whine did reduce with the corsair unit swap, would be my pick.

Associate
OP
Google PSU tier list - top result.

thanks have given that a read.

Titanium is just one measure of a efficiency which is important, but there are a bunch of other important factors, regulation, protection, ability to handle ripple etc. Though not sure what the tier list is, but assume that is the reason.

The Corsair SF750 unit, does the latter bits very well. Its why I jumped from the 700w silverstone to the SF750w unit as the formers ability in other areas from reviews looks better and I was trying to get rid of coil whine with the 3090 which you want as low ripple as possible. went through dozen of reviews as no single one compares them side by side. The 700w Silverstone unit in itself had no issues powering my 9900k + 3090FE when looking at power from the wall draw but the coil whine did hence looking at the units in more detail. The 800w unit looks to be slightly beefed up vs the 700w but does lag the corsair in areas mentioned above.

In normal use so gaming, with my 3090 pulling 400w, the CPU will only pull about 60w-125w or so depending on game (rarely maxed on CPU), and rest of the system around 50w or so. In effect will not really go above 600w or usually 550w use all that often when gaming. Only time you may is if your 3090 model has a higher power target BIOS and your stress testing it + a lot of voltage on the CPU and stress testing that with say an AVX load at the same time. The 3090 can have heavy spikes now and then which catch's lesser PSU's out, but non-issue for either of these units. TLDR, would not really worry about either unit, they will be fine, but given factors I have seen aside from efficiency and how coil whine did reduce with the corsair unit swap, would be my pick.

thanks for the insight on that, gave me lots to look into along with the tier list.

so on that bases I ordered a sf750 and arrives today :) - thanks all

Back
Top Bottom