Official Home Gym Building Thread

Man of Honour
Bulldog Gear Mammoth lite rack arrived. Really pleased with the final result - I wasn’t as pleased when it arrived mid meeting this morning rather than the agreed afternoon slot. Pull-up bar just about fits when set to the right height. I managed to neatly adjust the raised deadlift platform down to 20mm where the feet extend into it. The feet aren’t as wide or long as I measured, so the impact on the deadlift platform is minimal.

Tried out the pull-up bar, it’s absolutely solid, not even a wobble. I think I’ve worked out whether the J-pegs and catchers need to go for each workout. Will leave my unused plates on the base to stabilise it even more.

Edit: this rack is amazing. @LiE you were right, the pull up bar adds a lot of stability. I didn’t expect it to be so heavy and well built, bulldog sure make a quality product. Hopefully I won’t need to buy anything else for a while.

Edit 2: it’s great to not have to walk out as far unlike my previous rack that had the feet in the way. It also feels safer if I need to bail. I’ve set the uprights one hole back from the recommended position to give me a fraction more space and to add a fraction more stability. Not even the slightest wobble.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Got a Dehumidifier coming tomorrow as I’ve noticed a lot more water in the exposed metal. It’s WiFi connected so I can control it from the house and it can also heat, so it will replace my electric heater hopefully.

What humidity level do people run theirs at?

Man of Honour
Got a Dehumidifier coming tomorrow as I’ve noticed a lot more water in the exposed metal. It’s WiFi connected so I can control it from the house and it can also heat, so it will replace my electric heater hopefully.

What humidity level do people run theirs at?

40-50%, but then it’s a small space. Low 40% and into the 30s gives diminishing returns. Below 50% rust would take a very long time to form, below 40% pretty much never. I leave it on all the time, the hydrostat does its thing. It actually doesn’t seem to run very often.

Which one have you ordered? Does it have a pipe you can run outside? I’ve insulated the pipe and it takes the water into the garden.

The only time I override it is when I start a workout, so that it switches on and prevents any build up.

Man of Honour
This is the one I’ve bought.

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/desd9lw/electriq-desd9lw-dehumidifier

I’ll have it set to a run all the time at a level then have it switch to heating mode prior to training if it’s below 5c. It has continuous drainage option, I could need to drill a hole in then cabin wall for it to work.

Looks like a great buy. I’d get that if mine ever packs in. Does it say how powerful the heater is?

Ive got a separate heater on WiFi. It’s great to be able to warm it up in there before I get started.

Edit: 755W. It'll likely use half of that unless on Turbo/heating mode. 15mm drainage pipe if you wish to add one.

https://manualzz.com/doc/54341890/e...JiNSE66aWN3_b0BsabYZ4PMkkPSunghrCyBXZQ_KHMqRY

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yea it came with a pipe. I’ll check between sessions to see how the tank does as I’m rarely away for more than 2 days. Installed it just now and it works really well via the app. It was 76% humidity when I first turned it on.

Rki9PP7l.jpg
YcN02jxl.png.jpg

Also order one of these mats for when I'm doing anything on the floor - https://www.blkboxfitness.com/products/core-sports-mat
I'll put a couple screws in the wall to hang it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey all,

since practically last year April, i been trying to grab a pair of dumbells from the likes of decathlon, argos, amazon etc and had no luck.

I did grab some 10kg ones from my parents but been trying to buy some addtional weights.

Has anyone else had any luck in buying dumbells/weights?

I cant believe it is still hard to find now!

I thought the initial wave/panic from last year would be over and came to expect some decent stock by now?

Soldato
All depends on how much you want to spend, I went on a spending spree at www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk recently and managed to get pretty much everything I was looking for, but you're talking about a price range far in excess of what you'd expect to pay at an Argos or Decathlon.

Soldato
It does sort of blow my mind how in-demand even basic gym stuff still is... who is buying it all?!

The only things I'm still waiting for are the new Mirafit wall/rack mount cable station, and a full set of bumpers - but it feels like the wait will never end

Soldato
How good are the adjustable dumbells?

I'm debating buying some weights for basic exercises but i can't see me ever needing over 25kg. Whilst i've benched more in the past, i'm not bothered about huge gains and more just general body maintenance. Looking at buying dumbells between 10kg and 25kg would get pretty expensive, so was considering some of these.

I did consider the ones with spinlock clips, but i don't really want to mess around changing weights, but the idea of doing it at a click would be alright.

Associate

I'm debating buying some weights for basic exercises but i can't see me ever needing over 25kg. Whilst i've benched more in the past, i'm not bothered about huge gains and more just general body maintenance. Looking at buying dumbells between 10kg and 25kg would get pretty expensive, so was considering some of these.

I did consider the ones with spinlock clips, but i don't really want to mess around changing weights, but the idea of doing it at a click would be alright.

This may be worth a watch - main concerns around adjustables are either how long they take to adjust or how long they will last (concern around plastic gearing etc)

Soldato

FWIW I have the Mirafit Oly Dumbells (not exactly by choice, part of a job lot on FB Marketplace that included a bench that I wanted) and they're pretty great. A little bit of fiddling to change weights but with a set of quick release collars rather than twist-lock or springs it doesn't take long to pop plates on and off

Soldato
FWIW I have the Mirafit Oly Dumbells (not exactly by choice, part of a job lot on FB Marketplace that included a bench that I wanted) and they're pretty great. A little bit of fiddling to change weights but with a set of quick release collars rather than twist-lock or springs it doesn't take long to pop plates on and off

Cheers, i saw similar on the video posted above.

I think realistically the time to change is pretty minimal and it forces me to stop inbetween exercises for rest rather than just grabbing a different weight and moving straight into something else. Something like that probably works a lot better than buying 5 different sets of dumbells.

At the moment my shed is leaking like a seive and is prioritised for DIY and woodworking. I think come the spring/summer i'll get it sorted and make space for a bench. I enjoy weights but always feel a bit self conscious at the gym i know it's silly and most people couldn't care less about me in there! At the moment i go to a PT out of an industrial unit once a week. It's working wonders for fixing form issues and stuff and pushing me past that point where i'd probably normally give up.

Hopefully by then it'll give a good opportunity to pick up cheap stuff on FB again too so it's not a big investment.

Soldato
I usually swap the plates over ready for the start of the next thing during the rest periods of the previous exercise (if you see what I mean). I do need to get some fractional plates though as currently 2.5kg are the smallest plates I have and 5kg increments are a little bit steep on dumbells! Might just get a couple of pairs of 1kgs and a couple of 0.5kgs - that would give me 1kg, 2kg, 3kg increments as well I think? (2x0.5, 2x1.0, 2x1.0+2x0.5)

Soldato
Go go go!!!!

https://mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-coloured-crumb-rubber-olympic-bumper-plates.html

Just snagged a pair of 10s, 15s and 20s... Not bothering with 25s for now and the 5s are sold out but this will keep me going. I also grabbed 2 pairs of 0.5 and 2 pairs of 1.0 change plates for my dumbells as mentioned above, and a couple of resistance bands for doing assisted dips/pullups with. Quite a haul :D Still no Lat Cable station stock yet though it seems

Back
Top Bottom