What would you do?

Associate
Hi everyone.

I'm new here so wanted to say hello first of all.

Bit of background info, I used to build PC's way back in the socket 478 days and now have the itch to build another all these years later.

I have a budget and an idea of what I'll be buying but I wanted to know, would you buy second hand/used parts to save on the budget?

Anything that I MUST NOT buy second hand?

Thanks for the input

Man of Honour
Around £1000. Could stretch a little. My aim is for future proofing. Productivity work and some games.
Graphics card availability is a nightmare and prices are crazy even in the socond hand market. Sure you mite be able to save but you lose any warranty if thats a risk your prepaired to take.

More about productivity what type of hardware is required is more cores better, etc. Software you use.

Wifi needed ?

Do you have a graphics card that can be reused for now.

Associate
OP
Graphics card availability is a nightmare and prices are crazy even in the socond hand market. Sure you mite be able to save but you lose any warranty if thats a risk your prepaired to take.

More about productivity what type of hardware is required is more cores better, etc. Software you use.

Wifi needed ?

Do you have a graphics card that can be reused for now.

Ok so my plan wasn't to post specs but some input on this would be helpful.

Zalman R2 White case
Intel i5 10600k
MSI MPG Z490 Gaming plus Mobo
Corsair RM750 modular PSU
Kingston Hyper X 16gb kit - 3200mhz
WD PCI-E gen 3 500gb Sn750
Seagate 2TB 3.5" drive
Noctua NH-U125

Graphics card will be a GTX970 for now

Office work will be mainly excel and word doc based. Nothing too intensive. Games will be main use i'd say. WiFi is needed

Man of Honour
That makes life easier posting your spec which i dont see anything wrong with your choices.

Intel dont support pcie4 yet so You could go AMD if thats important to you. There new 5000 cpus are excellent performance but are expensive for the gains.

A 3600 6 core and a b550 motherboard would be an option without breaking the bank.

Associate
OP
That makes life easier posting your spec which i dont see anything wrong with your choices.

Intel dont support pcie4 yet so You could go AMD if thats important to you. There new 5000 cpus are excellent performance but are expensive for the gains.

A 3600 6 core and a b550 motherboard would be an option without breaking the bank.

Thank you. See I've been thinking about PCIe4 and lack of support. If I was to buy that intel chip and upgrade later to an Intel chip that support gen 4, would the existing board be compatible? I know the socket will be fine for new Gen Intel when it arrives

Man of Honour
Thank you. See I've been thinking about PCIe4 and lack of support. If I was to buy that intel chip and upgrade later to an Intel chip that support gen 4, would the existing board be compatible? I know the socket will be fine for new Gen Intel when it arrives
Its slightly confusing situation,

Intels new chips due to be released in march support pcie4 , and some motherboard manufacturers claiming pcie4 support.

Take s look st this article.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/pcie_4_0_support_on_z490_-_what_the_deal/1

Associate
OP
Its slightly confusing situation,

Intels new chips due to be released in march support pcie4 , and some motherboard manufacturers claiming pcie4 support.

Take s look st this article.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/pcie_4_0_support_on_z490_-_what_the_deal/1
Thank you for the link. Looks like I can buy PCi-e 4 drives still for that extra future proofing, use them at a reduced speed and then when the new intel chip drops, go ahead and just upgrade that

Man of Honour
Thank you for the link. Looks like I can buy PCi-e 4 drives still for that extra future proofing, use them at a reduced speed and then when the new intel chip drops, go ahead and just upgrade that
Yes looks a likely option not sure if pcie4 lanes are there for the gpu but not a big diffrence in performance.

Soldato
I'm new here so wanted to say hello first of all.
Hello!

I have a budget and an idea of what I'll be buying but I wanted to know, would you buy second hand/used parts to save on the budget?
Absolutely. I have a limited budget too, and most of my main components have been second hand.
Make friends with some enthusiasts who frequently upgrade, or find some reliable sources of good condition second-hand kit. OCUK has a Members Market here, and you'll unlock access to that after a certain number of post.

Anything that I MUST NOT buy second hand?
Condoms... never be tempted, no matter how cheap! ;)

Associate
OP
Hello!

Absolutely. I have a limited budget too, and most of my main components have been second hand.
Make friends with some enthusiasts who frequently upgrade, or find some reliable sources of good condition second-hand kit. OCUK has a Members Market here, and you'll unlock access to that after a certain number of post.

Condoms... never be tempted, no matter how cheap! ;)
Haha some sound advice there!

Associate
OP
Bit of an update for this.

I've managed to resist buying any second hand condoms thank god, even the lightly used ones!

Have a Noctua Nhu12s coming bagged for £36 and a WD black sn750 500gb for boot drive, brand new £59.

Have my eye on the 10600k and have been offered this for £160. Is that a good deal?

Now for the storage drive, NVMe or HDD? Would I notice a performance drop if storing games on the HDD?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom