Luxury car for £6000...

Associate
Hi guys,

Ever since the issues I had in October with a specific car and seller, I have had my eye on several luxury cars that suit my budget. A friend of work has an L322 07 Vogue SE and I have fallen in love with it. It is very well styled, comfy, practical and still very current when seen on the road. It gave me the urge to start looking at some and in December I went to see a few. But, after seeing a few dogs, advertised as mint I have had no success and have walked away from many. However, I have recently found one that is absolutely perfect, well-advertised and ticks all of the boxes. After seeing it, I am set on buying it and have agreed on a price with the seller.

My question is before I book my one-way train ticket to collect it, should I be looking at any other cars? I have discounted Cayennes, XC90's, X5's, ML's and Q7's.

The TDV8 MY08 Vogue SE I have seen comes with 138k, full documented service history, stacks of receipts and work carried out, well cared for and never failed an MOT. The advisories have all been minor and have receipts to show these have always been rectified. I understand the cost of running a Range Rover is significantly different from that of a Citroen or a BMW. But, that is fine and I won't be running this vehicle on a shoestring.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
I was going to post "a 15 year old range rover to flex on your neighbours" as a joke. But then I read OP's post and he is seriously considering one lol. With the maintenance costs on such an old car like that why not just buy something newer? Spending more upfront, your overall ownership cost will likely be similar.

still very current when seen on the road
lol??

Caporegime
Champagne taste on beer budget never ends well.

Lower your expectations to meet your budget.

I understand the cost of running a Range Rover is significantly different from that of a Citroen or a BMW. But, that is fine and I won't be running this vehicle on a shoestring.

Rather than increasing your running costs budget, save up for a while and up your actual purchase budget instead.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Depreciation doesn't mean disaster. As I said, I am well aware of the things that can and do go wrong on these vehicles and the bills you are presented with when maintaining them. That wasn't the questions and as such the responses aren't warranted. But, to be honest, these are the sort of responses I expected. I have a 1995 850 T5 with 70,000 miles on it and never misses a beat, a 2001 Audi TT 225 with 95k, FSH and cost me £900 and *touch wood* has never let me down and a 2016 Ford Focus. The question was, what else should I consider in my budget?... not "is this a good idea?".

Associate
OP
Never purchase a car from a friend.[/QUOTE]

I'll check out these ads, thanks. The car isn't from a friend, he owns one and has talked me through the ownership costs etc. In 5 years he's only had the alternator and tyre pressure sensors go. Other than annual servicing and brake pads; he hasn't paid for anything else

Soldato
This is a tough one. This is one of these and I've nearly fallen into that same path. You can buy a V10 M5 for £15k... but that is an £80k car new and will have £80k maintenence costs so all those cars are now running crappy cheap tyres, not been maintained and you wouldn't touch them. The problem I think you'll have with all due respect is, £6k on a luxery car is nothing... and the Range Rover is one of the most expensive and unreliable cars you can buy. It's a £70k car new and will give you £70k maintenance costs. It's just a matter of time and if the otehr guy hasn't had problems he's either 100% lucky OR lying OR you'll get all those costs on you!

So, I think the question is... do you have £2k in year maintence minimum you are willing to spend and also the fuel, tax and insurance on top. If you want a cheaper luxery car, and are prepared to pay for the premium running costs then you're ok. However, I'm slightly with the otehr son here that if you have a £6k budget on al luxery car, I'm not convinced you can afford to own that luxery car. You have chosen there one of the cheap luxery cars that is a money pit. Ask anyone who knows anything about cars, they're one of the most unreliable manfactorers and costs are HIGH.

I'm not dissing what you want... just be prepared is all and do NOT expect it to be like running a Honda i.e. zero maintenence costs lol.

had a quick look... and here is a good place to start mate DO NOT IGNORE THIS, THERE'S A LOT OF COMMON FAULTS as with any car but just read through before you start buying this car!!! And look at the prices! I'm not scare mongering, just don't have head in sand is all! If you can afford for all that work if needed, go for it, enjoy! BTW, I've known 3 owners of Range Rovers and everyone of them has had some sort of suspension failure!

As for what you could get in the 6k region, possibly a JEEP but you're looking for Luxery so, that's a hard market as you're then looking at z germans... and that's once again limits your 6k budget. Tough one fella, really is.

https://www.kmotors.co.uk/vehicles/range-rover-l322/

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/land-rover/range-rover-2002-l322/good

LOOK AT THE ABOVE LINKYS AND THE HONEST JOHN WHAT TO WATCH OUT FOR!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This is a tough one. This is one of these and I've nearly fallen into that same path. You can buy a V10 M5 for £15k... but that is an £80k car new and will have £80k maintenence costs so all those cars are now running crappy cheap tyres, not been maintained and you wouldn't touch them. The problem I think you'll have with all due respect is, £6k on a luxery car is nothing... and the Range Rover is one of the most expensive and unreliable cars you can buy.

So, I think the question is... do you have £2k in year maintence minimum you are willing to spend and also the fuel, tax and insurance on top. If you want a cheaper luxery car, and are prepared to pay for the premium running costs then you're ok. However, I'm slightly with the otehr son here that if you have a £6k budget on al luxery car, I'm not convinced you can afford to own that luxery car. You have chosen there one of the cheap luxery cars that is a money pit. Ask anyone who knows anything about cars, they're one of the most unreliable manfactorers and costs are HIGH.

I'm not dissing what you want... just be prepared is all and do NOT expect it to be like running a Honda i.e. zero maintenence costs lol.

100% agree with every point you make. I'm a bit of a funny bugger... I saved and paid £15k for my focus, as well as buying my two older cars. But, I don't want to fork out anymore than £6k. I couldn't justify it. I've got enough cars as it is, however, and I appreciate it's a false economy, but yes, I can afford £2-3000 a year in running costs.

Soldato
Depreciation doesn't mean disaster. As I said, I am well aware of the things that can and do go wrong on these vehicles and the bills you are presented with when maintaining them. That wasn't the questions and as such the responses aren't warranted. But, to be honest, these are the sort of responses I expected. I have a 1995 850 T5 with 70,000 miles on it and never misses a beat, a 2001 Audi TT 225 with 95k, FSH and cost me £900 and *touch wood* has never let me down and a 2016 Ford Focus. The question was, what else should I consider in my budget?... not "is this a good idea?".

An ancient, high mileage, £6k luxury SUV, especially a Range Rover is highly likely to frequently throw eye-watering bills at you. Ask yourself if you can really be bothered with that, time and time again? The L322 has an absolutely appalling reliability record. It is on another planet - nay - another GALAXY to the cars you've mentioned above!

Many people who choose to run these sort of cars can do a lot of the spannering themselves to reduce the costs. Are you able to do any work yourself?

What about a Lexus?

Associate
OP
An ancient, high mileage, £6k luxury SUV, especially a Range Rover is highly likely to frequently throw eye-watering bills at you. Ask yourself if you can really be bothered with that, time and time again? The L322 has an absolutely appalling reliability record. It is on another planet - nay - another GALAXY to the cars you've mentioned above!

Many people who choose to run these sort of cars can do a lot of the spannering themselves to reduce the costs. Are you able to do any work yourself?

What about a Lexus?

I hear you. I'm not shy to working on cars myself and often do bits myself. Also, as mentioned I have other vehicles I can use, should it be sat on the driveway for a week or so. The 2008 Vogue is priced fairly at £6000 considering the market average is anywhere between £3500 - £8000, mileage dependant.

I never thought about the Lexus, I'll take a look now.

Back
Top Bottom