• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD DLSS Equivilent in Spring.

Associate
Great, looking forward to seeing the results.

But can we stop calling AMD's super resolution, DirectML. DirectML is a machine learning API, it has nothing to do with upscaling images/video. It is what you train and run your models on, the model being AMD's super resolution.

I expect Super Resolution to be a lot better than DLSS 1.0, but not quite at DLSS 2.0 level. Mostly because it'll be applied to the XBox and MS know a shed-load about ML and image/video processing.

Associate
Great, looking forward to seeing the results.

But can we stop calling AMD's super resolution, DirectML. DirectML is a machine learning API, it has nothing to do with upscaling images/video. It is what you train and run your models on, the model being AMD's super resolution.

I expect Super Resolution to be a lot better than DLSS 1.0, but not quite at DLSS 2.0 level. Mostly because it'll be applied to the XBox and MS know a shed-load about ML and image/video processing.
Miss read your post ignore

Soldato
Didn't the AMD slide for this show only 20-38% performance improvement in the games tested?

Ideally, AMD would be able to use the RT cores in each Compute Unit to do the upscaling/ AMD Super Resolution on...instead of ray tracing, which doesn't seem to be worth the performance hit for many graphics cards at the moment.

I wonder if the RT cores can only be used for ray tracing, or can could be used for other compute tasks?

Last edited:
Associate
Didn't the AMD slide for this show only 20-30% performance improvement in the games tested?

Ideally, AMD would be able to use the RT cores in each Compute Unit to do the upscaling/ AMD Super Resolution on...instead of ray tracing, which doesn't seem to be worth the performance hit for many graphics cards at the moment.

I wonder if the RT cores can only be used for ray tracing, or can could be used for other compute tasks?
Not sure where you have seen performance slides, maybe they were for different tech like radeon boost or VRS.
Using the RT cores is a bad idea even if it is possible since they need upscaling especially when RT is enabled.

Associate
[
Didn't the AMD slide for this show only 20-30% performance improvement in the games tested?

Doubt the RT cores can be used for traditional compute tasks etc they are designed at the hardware level for this task.

RT cores
NVIDIA's solution is to have the Turing RT cores handle all the BVH traversal and ray-triangle intersection testing, which saves the SMs from spending thousands of instruction slots per ray.

The RT cores comprises of two specialized units. The first carries out the bounding box tests, while the second performs ray-triangle intersection tests and reports on whether it's a hit or not back to the SM. This frees up the SM to do other graphics or compute work.

Caporegime
I think it is sweet that AMD get this DLSS type tech. A big improvement to frames and when I use DLSS, the game looks great for me and seriously boosts frames, which for the most enables me to whack up RT, so win win for all of us

Soldato
Sorry, thought this was AMD's Super Resolution:

Screenshot_2019-12-10-Radeon-Software-Press-Deck_Embargoed-Until-Dec-10-at-9am-ET-pdf2-1536x758.png

But maybe it's a different technique entirely? I think it's gonna be difficult to gain large perf. improvements without dedicated hw.

Soldato
That's Radeon boost, which is already available.

Still, if AMD can get similar results with their Super Resolution tech, I think it would be enough to boost many games that can't hit 60fps at 4k, upto a smooth framerate, for the 6800 XT / 6900 XT. Ideally, it would be an option you enable in the AMD settings software for DX12, that works automagically without developer input... Shame DirectML is dx12 only though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom