Battery Drain Question

Soldato
I bought a new battery from the place that seems to be disliked on here in May last year. It's all been fine but when I went to use the car this morning it was dead. Ignition on shows lights on dash but then nothing, not even turning over. Although we're not using the car every day it does get used at least once a week when the wife has to go into the office. It's not been used since last Tuesday so should the battery have gone flat this quick?

Going to take it back this afternoon but would just like to know if they discharge this quickly. Although not well versed in the mechanics of cars I thought it would keep its charge for longer than a week.

Soldato
It should last a lot longer than that on a sub 1 year old battery. Even with a 20 mile weekly drive.

Does the battery have a warranty with halfords/kwik-fit? Might be worth getting them to test the battery.

Edit: They might tell you it needs charging up, but make a note of the occurrences of when it's flat. On a new battery it should really be able to go several months without completely discharging.

Assuming you've not got any aftermarket electronics fitting? Alarm/Dashcam etc?

Soldato
I've barely touched my E43 or Ibiza FR. Dreading the repair bill.

Also both were bought on the basis of having a year of remaining warranty - not even using the car to uncover any issues.

Soldato
OP
It should last a lot longer than that on a sub 1 year old battery. Even with a 20 mile weekly drive.

Does the battery have a warranty with halfords/kwik-fit? Might be worth getting them to test the battery.

Edit: They might tell you it needs charging up, but make a note of the occurrences of when it's flat. On a new battery it should really be able to go several months without completely discharging.

Assuming you've not got any aftermarket electronics fitting? Alarm/Dashcam etc?
Just got a basic skoda fabia so no whistles or bells :)

I've already been down there and they hooked it up and said it just needed charging. It wasn't till I was back home that I thought I should have taken a pic of the reading. It has a 4 year warranty but they said they won't change it unless the machine says it's faulty. I've borrowed my mates charger so I'll see what it's like after a night on charge.

Soldato
The one in my Elise dies quite quickly (small battery). But I'm not driving it while the roads are caked in salt. I just take it out of the car and keep it inside. In this cold weather the capacity will be much smaller too.

If you keep letting it go completely flat it will killl the battery.

Back
Top Bottom