• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN 5000 SERIES NOW ONLINE - 5950X, 5900X, 5800X & 5600X COMING NOV 5TH AT 5PM **NO COMPETITORS**

Associate
Well, interestingly the situation changed there a bit. The 5900x overclocks much better than my 5800x.

The 5900x is more stable and allows some big negative numbers in curve optimiser. The end result is about a 3-5% gain in single core performance consistently across all benchmarks.

His point still stands though. I am thinking more and more I probably won't bother getting a 5900x or 5950x for quite some time, the 3700x is still a monster for what it is and power efficient with it. Just exactly how much will I notice an uplift at 1440p were I to go to a 59XX chip?

Same goes for GPU. After tweaking a few settings, I can run ray tracing games quite nicely on a vanilla 2080 when using G-Sync. Spending even the MSRP of 650 quid for a 3080, just exactly how worth it would that cash be? Would it be 650 quid's worth better? Highly subjective, but in my case I can't see any real value in upgrading my CPU or GPU at the moment.

Looking at my CPU usage when gaming, eight modern cores is going to be enough for most if not all games for quite some time. I even have a W7 VM box running in the background when gaming with no effect on the gaming, 12 and 16 core has to have a use case other than just gaming and having one or two other things going on. Very useful for those who can leverage that power, but that power isn't anywhere near essential for gaming.

Associate
His point still stands though. I am thinking more and more I probably won't bother getting a 5900x or 5950x for quite some time, the 3700x is still a monster for what it is and power efficient with it. Just exactly how much will I notice an uplift at 1440p were I to go to a 59XX chip?

Same goes for GPU. After tweaking a few settings, I can run ray tracing games quite nicely on a vanilla 2080 when using G-Sync. Spending even the MSRP of 650 quid for a 3080, just exactly how worth it would that cash be? Would it be 650 quid's worth better? Highly subjective, but in my case I can't see any real value in upgrading my CPU or GPU at the moment.

Looking at my CPU usage when gaming, eight modern cores is going to be enough for most if not all games for quite some time. I even have a W7 VM box running in the background when gaming with no effect on the gaming, 12 and 16 core has to have a use case other than just gaming and having one or two other things going on. Very useful for those who can leverage that power, but that power isn't anywhere near essential for gaming.

It should come as no surprise that your one generation old mid-high tier enthusiast grade gear is still good for gaming today.

Associate
The rule is the only reason you should upgrade anything is that particular piece of hardware isn't doing what you needed to do. getting an extra couple of frames per second is pointless. I have upgraded my 5700 XT to a red Devil 6900 XT. The only reason I did this was because I managed to sell the 5700 XT for the same price I paid for it in July 2019 which is insane

Associate
Please does anyone know why the Ryzan 5000 series update thread is not being updated? It's a sticky, bur the information within is out of date. Is OCUK updating sonewhere else instead? Even if they say 'we dont know anything' it's better than nowt

Associate
Well after sending my 5800X back i was going to wait for reviews for Rocket Lake but i randomly checked an American website and saw 5900X in stock.

Ordered, finally getting the CPU i wanted :D

Associate
Finally bit the bullet and bought a 5900X from a US site that had it in stock. With duty/tax added at checkout it worked out just slightly more than ordering from UK would have been before Brexit. Not sure what duty would have been added shipping from Overclockers to Ireland, so it might actually have been cheaper.

My only worry is that it will be a pain if there are any problems with the chip. I originally bought a 5900X on launch day. Unfortunately there was a problem with USB interface resetting and random reboots, that seem to have been a problem with the chip itself (it was tested on multiple motherboards), and it had to go back. Hopefully that was a one off.

Associate
Finally bit the bullet and bought a 5900X from a US site that had it in stock. With duty/tax added at checkout it worked out just slightly more than ordering from UK would have been before Brexit. Not sure what duty would have been added shipping from Overclockers to Ireland, so it might actually have been cheaper.

My only worry is that it will be a pain if there are any problems with the chip. I originally bought a 5900X on launch day. Unfortunately there was a problem with USB interface resetting and random reboots, that seem to have been a problem with the chip itself (it was tested on multiple motherboards), and it had to go back. Hopefully that was a one off.
debating to do the same thing and order my dark hero and 5900x from the states and pay a bit extra. seems the only possibly way of getting one at the moment plus have a friend in the states what could ship it. nightmare for getting pc parts at the moment

Stu

Stu

Soldato
seen a couple of 5950x did think about that but would like a 5900x as think 5950x would be over kill. currently half way in my full loop system o11 build got the watercooling side of just cant get a psu, mobo, cpu , gfx card lol

That's a few critical components missing! Phanteks Revolt Pro 850w PSUs have just come back into stock, and appear to be a decent amount available.

Back
Top Bottom