• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

No cards anywhere?... (Of any kind)

Associate
Am I missing something here?

So I'm in the waiting list for a 3080, not many to go now (I knew these were hard to get). I get that there are no new cards anywhere but didn't quite realise until recently when my cousin asked me to put a system together for his boy, that you literally cannot get any cards of any description anywhere! what the actual ****!

It's not like I'm being picky.

580 - nope.
1660 super - nope
1660ti - nope
5500xt - nope (bought one of these for £170 a few months back for another nephews build.
5600xt nope.

Can't even get second hand 980's 980tis, 1070s, 1060 6gbs, for reasonable money... People are selling £200 cards covered in cheato dust on ebay for £400+

Are you seriously telling me that pc gaming is basically impossible for any new commers now and for the foreseeable future?

I've been in this game since 1985 and have never seen the industry so ******.

Caporegime
I've got a "spares or repair" HD7850 I was thinking of letting go for about £2k. Might hang on it tho and sell it in a few months when it's worth £3k.

The entire world hasn't gone mad, honest.

Coo-coo-ca-choo!

Associate
OP
I've got a "spares or repair" HD7850 I was thinking of letting go for about £2k. Might hang on it tho and sell it in a few months when it's worth £3k.

The entire world hasn't gone mad, honest.

Coo-coo-ca-choo!
Seems to be the truth of it.

Associate
Let's not forget this issue is bigger then just the GPU gaming market. I know we all like to feel sorry for ourselves not being able to game on max FPS but this is a worldwide problem in all markets that require chips and wafers. There are car manufacturers bringing down their projected profit and revenue forecasts by billions because they can build the cars but they can't get the chips required! We are talking about luxurious $60k+ cars sitting in parking lot's waiting for chips to be delivered to customers.

Will things improve? No they won't you can't just simply increase production without the production facilities and capacity. If multi billion dollar companies are forecasting a lasting shortage that's only going to get worse they are probably right.

Soldato
This generation a write off imo, I wanted to upgrade last yr, but insane MSRP, scalpers and shortage, so I'm waiting it out and learn to mine on my Vega while I wait, I was so anti mining,but as above I may as well start saving for next gen cards and put my Vega to use, made nearly 50 quid in 2 weeks.:cool:

Soldato
America and Europe are all of a sudden investing in silicon fabrication as matters of economic importance... Who'd have thought relying so heavily on countries the other side of the world would be a bad idea.

Might see some production 12nm silicon from these fabs by the time TSMC are selling 1nm carbon nanotube on unobtanium wafers :D

Associate
This generation a write off imo, I wanted to upgrade last yr, but insane MSRP, scalpers and shortage, so I'm waiting it out and learn to mine on my Vega while I wait, I was so anti mining,but as above I may as well start saving for next gen cards and put my Vega to use, made nearly 50 quid in 2 weeks.:cool:
You'd be silly not to mine at current profits, and who knows where ETH will end up at the end of the year, with the lack of hardware difficulty is also staying at pretty reasonable levels.

Associate
America and Europe are all of a sudden investing in silicon fabrication as matters of economic importance... Who'd have thought relying so heavily on countries the other side of the world would be a bad idea.

Might see some production 12nm silicon from these fabs by the time TSMC are selling 1nm carbon nanotube on unobtanium wafers :D
This always seemed like a risky business strategy to me and I'm surprised when Apple and the likes highlighted this risk years ago not more companies invested into wafer production right there right then, I feel like right now it is a little to late.

Associate
Sadly you are correct, the world has gone mad.

I recently sold a 2080ti for the same price I paid for it at launch 2 years earlier. At the time I bought it, I thought it was an overpriced card that most people would skip. Never even dream I would get my money back 2 years later, utter madness.

Associate
i have two 270 and one 7950 feel like making a fortune on those cards.

Y microchips shortage slowing down the economy. :) who knew. oh w8. games knew that all along. !!!!!

Caporegime

It was always a bad idea, esp when the region's main powers are not always friendly to the West, either :p

But as with everything else, money talks. China is cheap as chips to assemble things. Not quite so easy to explain how SK and Taiwan became manufacturing powerhouses... although proximity to China probably helped!

Back
Top Bottom